Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Labels >

Quilt Labels

Quilt Labels

Old 07-03-2019, 08:41 PM

Default Quilt Labels

I have been quilting since about 2000. I have made many quilts but never labeled them. So, I drug about 30 quilts of various sizes out of the attic and let them lay in my sewing room for the last month. Today I got most of them labeled. My inspiration for labeling was the BH Mystery Quilts as the last 4 (5?) are quilted and bound and finished. Now my question is...do you label every quilt, table runner, mug rug and such? How do you do it? I made quick printed labels about the quilt info with printable fabric then ironed on, then my label which is made by Kirsten sewn on. Curious, do you label every piece, what info do you provide? Wish I could do a QR code but what if that goes the way of the VCR?
Thanks for any input.
Kirsten
Old 07-03-2019, 08:48 PM

I don't know why but I have a very hard time labeling my quilts, it used to be that I journal all of them so unless it was a special occasion quilt then that was all I would do. Now I want to make a label for every one going forward, the only thing I would put on it would be the year the name of the pattern and my name. Don't know what else to add?
Old 07-04-2019, 12:01 AM
Administrator

i have always found adding labels to be annoying.
not the labels themselves.
i was just too lazy to hand-stitch them to the back of the finished quilt.
(i don't trust no-sew fusibles to stay put after more than a washing or two.)

it finally dawned on me to make triangular labels.
i had some printed on fabric at spoonflower.
others i have done on my embroidery unit.

they tuck nicely into the corner and are stitched down as i attach the binding.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:29 AM
Power Poster

When I started quilting I very seriously attached a label to every quilt. I designed a label in EQ to match the blocks on the quilt, added a photo if it was to be a special gift, printed it on fabric, and hand sewed it to the back of the quilt.

Then I got lazy. I haven't labeled a quilt in a very long time, and I'm not feeling guilty about it. Well, maybe just a little.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:36 AM

I make most of my quilts as gifts and I always label them. I put the name of the recipient, date, pattern, and my name and city, state. I normally type the label and print it on paper and then I trace it onto plain fabric and I used an indelible pen to write on the label. I usually machine embroider a design that ties in with the them of the block first and then I write the information. Finally I cut it to size and sew it to the back of the quilt. I haven't made a quilt for myself in years but I normally put the pattern, date and my name, city, state on the plain label. Years from now my children, grandchildren and great grandchildren will know the names of their quilts and when they were made.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:50 AM
Power Poster

I confess, I have never labelled a quilt. If I ever make a show stopper I might but I make quilts to be used and abused.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:04 AM
Power Poster

The only things I label are very special, for example my parents 50th anniversary quilt- things of that nature.
I like the idea of it but never get around to it.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:44 AM

I cheat. I purchased premade cloth labels that say. Made with love by my name, and town. If I think the date is important, I will add it close to the label. But usually don't. I only label quilts, not placemats and other small items.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:06 AM

I do labels for special occassions, but the others not. I purchased some small satin labels off the internet. They are like 1-1/2" x 2" with my name on them. All the "not special occassion" quilts I sew these on with the binding. But I still forget to do that sometimes ha ha ha

like toverly - I will stitch the date in as well if I feel that is important
Old 07-04-2019, 08:07 AM

I have labeled very few of my quilts. I usually get done with the binding and I am so tired of working on the quilt I just want to fold it up and pack it away. I did make a label for wedding quilts I have made for a niece and one for my son and new wife but that is the extent of my making of labels.