Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt Labels >

Quilt Labels

Quilt Labels

Old 07-04-2019, 08:07 AM

I've never labeled a quilt. But I use to use one strand of embroidery floss and stitch my initials and date some where unobtrusive. You really had to look hard to find it. Haven't even done that lately.
Old 07-04-2019, 12:13 PM

I have labeled most of my quilts. I do find it annoying just because I finished the project and don't want to take the time to add a label. My quilting teacher was adamant about labeling. She said your name, date and where you live. I've never included where I live. I must admit that the ones I have not labeled I do regret not doing so. Some of my labels are sewn on, others just "signed" in permanent marker on the back in a corner.
Old 07-04-2019, 02:53 PM

I make a triangle label. Using the alphabet setting on my sewing machine, I include title of the quilt (usually block name), for whom I made the quilt, my name and date (usually just the year). It’s sewn on right with the binding. I only label quilts, not table runners, etc.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:02 PM

The only quilts I label are special occasion gifts. I usually consider myself lucky if I manage to take a picture. LOL I have the cute/pretty labels that come as a panel. I put whom it for, by, and the date. That's it for me.
Old 07-05-2019, 03:31 AM
Power Poster

Chiming in again. As much as I don't label quilts I love my vintage and antique quilts that have at least the person's name and date. It means a lot to me. So maybe I should start!!!
Old 07-05-2019, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
it finally dawned on me to make triangular labels.
i had some printed on fabric at spoonflower.
others i have done on my embroidery unit.
Patrice, what size do you usually make these?

I also have gotten lazy about labels. One way I have done it, though, is to embroider my name and the date right on the binding using the alphabet on my DSM. You do this before adding the binding to the quilt ... being careful to put it where it will end up on the back of the quilt. I like not having to attach a label ... but I just forget to do this! As several of you have said, by the time I get to this stage, I'm just ready to be Done!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-05-2019 at 03:58 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 07-05-2019, 04:10 AM

Unless the quilt backing is dark, I write directly on the back of the quilt. There is no chance of the label being pulled off or destroyed. I have quilts my mother and graandmother made for my boys that they wrote directly on the quilt and eventhough the writing has faded slightly it is still very legible. They used plain old Sharpies. I figure using the newer micron pens the writing will hold up even better.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:27 AM

Over time I have learned to make this process easier. I start with a 5 inch square of rather neutral/blender fabric. Fold in half diagonally. I then write on the name of the recipient of the quilt (made for) my name (made by) and the date the quilt was finished. Sometimes I will include a quilt name or the event or reason the quilt was given but not always. I have a little personal logo that I include. (a kitty face) If there is too much open space, I will trim down the triangle. I sew the triangle into the corner so it is secured in the binding. I choose to whip stitch the top of the triangle. I have a friend who does not. Either way, our work is noted as our creation. We all think our work is not that good or not that important and no one will care but in 100 years someone will be wondering who made the quilt. The answer will be in the corner. [ATTACH=CONFIG]614532[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails nathan-schwartz-2017b-resized.jpg  
Old 07-05-2019, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
i have always found adding labels to be annoying.
not the labels themselves.
i was just too lazy to hand-stitch them to the back of the finished quilt.
(i don't trust no-sew fusibles to stay put after more than a washing or two.)

it finally dawned on me to make triangular labels.
i had some printed on fabric at spoonflower.
others i have done on my embroidery unit.

they tuck nicely into the corner and are stitched down as i attach the binding.
Love the corner labels. I used a bit of the binding to frame
[ATTACH=CONFIG]614541[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]614539[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]614538[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]614537[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]614536[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails label-001.jpg   candys-quilt-label.jpg   dennis-label-3.jpg   dolores-label.jpg   quilt-075.jpg  

kylar-elyses-quilt.jpg  
Old 07-05-2019, 07:18 AM

I try and label all the quilts I give away with the name of the recipient, the reason, the date and my name. I also take pictures of all my quilts and store on the computer and in a photo album. I do not keep pattern names, fabric info. etc. for future reference as I hardly ever make the same quilt twice. I print them on my ink jet printer and sew two sides under the binding and hand sew the other two sides.