Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with applique - thread problems >

Help with applique - thread problems

Help with applique - thread problems

Old 06-30-2019, 05:03 PM

Default Help with applique - thread problems

Hello all!

So my Brother Dreamweaver is in the shop again - yes, for the long weekend :-(

I'm looking for some guidance, suggestions, advice, anything to help me figure out what is wrong ... is it me? the thread? the machine?

When I am doing free motion applique on two layers of fabric, I have no issues ... three layers of applique (with the main fabric on the bottom), no issues at all.

As soon as I put batting and backing on it, my threads shred, tangle or skip stitches

Here's what I've tried:

normal needles don't work
embroidery needles don't work
topstitch needles don't work
schmetz gold needles don't work
spray basting or not - thread still shreds, snaps, tangles or skips stitches

different types of thread - doesn't matter - I've used polyester, cotton and rayon ... they all shred, tangle or skip stitches

I'm not a novice at FMQ anymore, and I'm wracking my brains trying to figure out what the problem is.

My machine is almost 2 years old, and it works like a dream with everything else. I can do embroidery designs through two layers of fabric and the batting and it's fine. It's as soon as I try and do FMQ and applique.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me in on the big secret!

Thanks so much,

Happy Canada Day eh!!

And here's a pic of my puppy, just to make people smile, because seriously, who doesn't love a berner LOL He's chewing on his bone! Such a funny goofy puppy!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]614374[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails 245.jpg  
Old 06-30-2019, 05:13 PM

Since it's in the shop, I would make a quilt sandwich and take it to the shop, and tell them to quilt the sandwich and figure out what the problem/s are. I'm assuming they know what you've tried and what the machine does during certain processes.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

Have you tried changing the presser foot height?
Old 06-30-2019, 05:33 PM

you didn't say, but are you using any fusible with your applique? Maybe it's the fusible that is causing the problem. I know when I long arm work with multiple layers of applique, the addition of fusible really gums things up and thread shreds more easily.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:38 PM

I'm so sorry. That's so frustrating. You didn't say what size needle you were using. I've found that some machines require a 90/14 to successfully FMQ while I can use an 80/12 on some.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:08 PM

I have done it at the shop, and she has seen the problem. But she doesn’t really have much of a solution.

No I haven’t tried a bigger needle like that thank you I will definitely try that.

And yes I am using the Fusible and I’m wondering if that’s what is the problem.

I have raised and lowered the presser foot or if that doesn’t help

But many other people have done it successfully, because I’ve seen it on YouTube videos ha ha Ha and I am trying to figure out why I can’t do it

Thanks all, keep the suggestions coming please so I can try and figure this out.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:30 PM

You talk about all different kinds of needles, but you don't say what size you're using, and with what thread.

I've solved skipped stitches by going up a needle size.

I've solved shredding thread by using an appropriate needle and needle size for the thread and thread size I'm using. Topstitch needles are good because the eyes are larger and they have a deep groove down the length of the needle, which protects the thread from friction as it moves in and out of the fabric.

The fusible may well be the problem. Maybe you could test this by making a sample sandwich of the same fabrics, without the fusible, and see if you get any skipping.

You mention raising and lowering the presser foot. If you're referring to Dunster's comment about the presser foot height, she's talking about the adjustment that can increase or decrease the amount of pressure the presser foot puts on the fabric. Your owner's manual should have more information about this.
Old 06-30-2019, 10:31 PM
Gay

I always use a jeans needle (is that size 14?) for most things, unless the fabric is very fine, and don't have any of your issues. Also the fusible and sometimes the batting can cause problems.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:05 AM

Marion,

Puppy giggles!

Try a Topstitch 90/14 or a Microtex. My LQS likes the microtex. Another LQS says Topstitch 90/14.

Have the dealer check the needle holder. Make sure the needle is tight up to the top. Pushed all the way and screw tightened. The screw can loosen after stitching.

Have the dealer check inside the machine. You can have a burr inside where the thread goes around the tension. They just file it down smooth.

When you change thread always pull out thread from the needle area and not backwards from the thread spool. If the thread is shredded up inside, I carefully use tweezers or one of those dental tools to grab it and remove.

What brand of thread are you using when this happens?

What bobbins are you using? Have them check the bobbin hook as it comes around. It can get damaged or nicked with a needle break.

What fusible are you using? There were some issues with some of the fusible products a few years ago. I like SAS lite, Heat and Bond lite, Misty Fuse and Soft Fuse.

Check the machine preferences for the height of the pressure foot. It should be on the default setting. There may also be a setting for "fabric thickness" on the preference page.

You should not have these issues with your machine. My projects vary in thickness. Sometimes there is two layers of batting plus the other fabrics.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:55 AM

Hey Marion, I was having problems with thread shredding on my Sweet Sixteen while using sulky sticky fabrisolvy. I finally realized that my needle was getting gummed up and that was causing the shredding. It may be that your fusible is causing some buildup on the needle that then creates friction on the thread which leads to fraying. In my case the solution is to carefully watch my needle for signs of buildup and remove them- I use my fingernail or one of those alcohol prep pads and do it while the needle is still in the machine and threaded.

If that’s what is causing your shredding issue you will see it on your needle.
There are anti-glue needles for domestic machines that can help prevent the problem.

Rob