Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!!....Backache!!! >

HELP!!!!....Backache!!!

HELP!!!!....Backache!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 10:49 AM

One important thing I was taught was to get up from the machine (or computer) every half hour stretch your back and go get a drink of water. Then back to sewing. I also found that you need the right height table and chair where you are sewing. I have a computer chair so I can adjust my height. Good luck.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:59 AM

if i am not sitting up straight while sewing my back aches, i tend to slump and that is when my shoulders hurt or if i am doing some tense sewing
Old 02-15-2011, 12:05 PM

I use one of those weights across the back from Nancy's Notions. Often I wear it all day long as it is so comfortable. I could not sew longer than 15 minutes without it.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:08 PM

If I put my chair high enough to be comfortable, my short legs have to stretch to use the peddle. I found that if I put a foot rest (the kind you get for the office that is tilted) and put my peddle on it, then I can sit higher and still reach my peddle without sitting at the edge of my chair.
Hope this helps.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:13 PM

And don't forget the BioFreeze. It is great for muscle stiffness and soreness. Most chiropractors carry it........runs about $12 and comes in tube, roll-on, or spray.
Old 02-15-2011, 01:55 PM

I also was lucky enough to find a chiropractor to help me get rid of it, and the exercise was the same! But I have other helpful ideas also.

- We have a stair way with hand rails on both sides... I put a foot up 3 (and later 4) steps, lean forward until my chest touches my thigh, bring my chest up keeping arms back, face up, and rotate to standing (very similar to the door thing, but easier and move effective for me). A few times both legs and I'm ready to go!

-Also dh helps... I cross my arms over my chest, he wraps his over mine and leans back. He does not lift me!!! He is about an inch taller than I am so lifting would be pretty hard (and he's not young either). The cracks we hear are soooo nice, but the way I immediately feel is even nicer.

- get a desk chair and adjust it so you are not leaning over so much. My desk chair "gives" when I sit in it (I'm not so very graceful!) and that helps also.

- I use Joanne's 3'x5' (aprox) white tables which are higher than the usual... less bending over. They got bad reviews because the fold out legs didn't stay in their place, but I put little squares of industrial velcro on the top of the legs and the bottom of the table and I've never had a problem. I bought 4 of them so I can work on a queen size quilt when they are all out (6'x10'), and fold them up and put them out of the way when the grandkids want to play ping pong.

Once before I suggested doing squats to pick up pins, and I still think that is one of the best things to do. It is "impossible" at first, but if you keep doing it you will find it gets easier and easier until you can go down and back up without holding on to anything. It moves the body in good ways... and quilters need that!!!

Hope this helps. Sierra
Old 02-15-2011, 01:55 PM

Do you sit in a recliner? That's a chiropractors best friend. I too have back problems and found that the recliner is the culprit.
Old 02-15-2011, 02:04 PM

I'm going to try all these things. I have problems with backaches all the time. Right now, I don't want to sew, and I just about ready to get off the computer and lay down. But I think I'll try the door way first!!!!
Old 02-15-2011, 02:06 PM

Oh i get this it is my own fault as i tend to sit on the edge of the settee and crouch over whilst cutting fabric, it is painful and aches for quiet a while occcchhhh
Old 02-15-2011, 02:11 PM
Power Poster

just a thought, bc this has happened to me:
have you considered your diet?
I have chronic health issues and do not absorb all the nutrients from my food and when I get anemic, I have horrible pain.
Having your b-12, iron and folic acid levels and while your at it uric acid levels is not a bad idea.
If you do not sleep well, I would get checked for fibromyalgia, and or sleep apnea.
Poor circulation is very painful.
One last thing: exercise. Sitting too long can make just about anyone stiff.
Try taking more breaks and doing some stretching. Hope you get if figured out. Pain and quilting are not supposed to go together!