Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP!!!!....Backache!!! >

HELP!!!!....Backache!!!

HELP!!!!....Backache!!!

Old 02-15-2011, 05:41 PM

I thik it happens to me because of posture. When I sew I usually lean over and after while my back (between my shoulder blades starts to hurt. As someone mentioned getting up and taking a break helps. I think that weight would work by keeping you more unright.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:07 PM

Beside raising the back of your sewing machine get a office chair that adjusts. This has helped a lot and Wal Mart and Target has them at a good price
Old 02-15-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
It could be that your table is too high or too low. There are some products that fit around the shoulders and have a weight that hangs from the back to help keep your posture in line but I don't know how well they work. You might try getting up and stretching every half hour or so. You're probably tensing up and/or sewing for too long.
I have one of those back weights. Got it from Nancy's Notions years ago. Wear it if I'm going to be at the sewing machine for any length of time. I love it. I really think it helps keep my posture straighter. You might go on-line and look for tips for sewing ergonomically. I've seen some really good demos. Hope it works out. My advise would be to get up frequently and stretch your back.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:12 PM

I have the same problem..I can't sew very long and my back kills me...I have to get up and move around while I sew..When I get through sewing I use the heating pad...If you find something that helps let me know!!
Old 02-15-2011, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

Take frequent breaks while quilting, and do some backwards bending. We don't bend our spines enough in that direction. Get one of those big exercise balls, and lay back on it and roll backwards to stretch your spine over it, in that backwards curve. Sounds strange but it really helps! To stretch out the shoulder area, reach your arms overhead while bending backwards over the ball.

(You can also keep your abs in shape with one of those balls in the house!)

Forgot to mention Ibuprophen and ICE: the two best things to reduce inflamation, and therefore, pain.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM

I suffer back problems caused from a fall many years ago. If I stand, or sew to long I will be in pain, So when I rach that point I eat a couple of crackers (food in tummy) drink water, then take two extra strength excedrin, I can't aford Dr.s I then go sit in easy chair for about 10 15 min. and back pain goes away. So I can quilt awhile longer. I've had to do this since 1998, didn't always quilt. Just going shopping is a painful experience for me. Excedrin is only one that works for me. have tried many. No I do not work for them or have I ever.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:40 PM

Pain is rather like a roof leak, you never really know where the leak is. Try using the alternate foot to operate your machine. I have begun driving with my right foot and sewing with my left. It has made a difference. Also, neck exercises, simply turning your head as far right, as far left, as far back and as far forward as you can comfortably do. Circling your shoulders, frontwards and backwards. the other suggestions have been very good too. We each are wonderfully unique people. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks! Hope you find the answer.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:55 PM

Buying a cutting table helped my back a lot.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:00 PM

Have the same problem. Between the 2-hours each way commute, sitting at work all day, and sit-down winter hobbies, my back has been screaming for attention.

Started a beginner yoga class this fall and it has done wonders for me. I do some of the simpler (and less noticeable) relaxation exercises on my breaks at work, on the train, etc., and a half hour before bed...no more backaches!
Old 02-15-2011, 08:16 PM

I sew with the microwavable neck wrap on. I have arthritis, herniated discs and some other problems and have had a lot of treatment, medication,stim. Device and using heat frequently works best for me. I also have a great office chair.