Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with best ruler for cutting dark fabrics >

Help with best ruler for cutting dark fabrics

Help with best ruler for cutting dark fabrics

Old 11-28-2014, 06:33 AM

My favorite large ruler is the Wrights EZ ruler. It's 6-1/2x24", clear plastic with thin black lines. To me, Omnigrid/Omnigrip rulers are really hard to see through on any fabric. My Wrights ruler gives me no trouble, not even on black fabric (which I use a LOT). I bought it at Joann's. I love it so much I bought a spare!

I also have a large gooseneck lamp that arches over my cutting table with a "daylight" spectrum bulb in it, so I have very bright light that shines directly down on my cutting table. That makes a HUGE difference - even during the day when the room is pretty well-lit naturally, if I switch on that lamp I can see EVERYTHING. And the light comes directly down where I cut, not at an angle, and I think that helps with cutting accuracy too. No shadows being cast an an angle from the cutting lines on the ruler...

Someone else mentioned Creative Grids rulers - those are great rulers too.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:06 AM

Thanks again for all the replies. The ruler size was 6" X 24" . That was the typo from yesterday. I was thinking about quilting and trying to make Thanksgiving dinner. Luckily, I did not stuff the turkey with batting.

I do so much appreciate the opinions.
Old 11-28-2014, 08:00 PM

Sometimes when I am cutting just a few pieces out, I use post-it notes to stick on the top of my ruler. I stick one at both angles so I don't make a mistake. Another place I use them is when I am squaring up a block. They really come in handy and Santa always brings me some!!!!!
Old 11-29-2014, 12:20 AM

Thanks for this great ruler tip. I think I need to have one of these myself!! The Creative Ruler that is.
Old 11-29-2014, 05:21 AM

There is a Glow line tape they had us use in my beginning quilting class that you lay on your fabric and your fabric butts right up to it.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:04 AM

I saw these online but have not tried. Has anyone had experience with these?
http://quiltersslidelock.com/purchase/
Old 11-29-2014, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Another thing you can do is get some tape and place it on the bottom of the ruler along the line you want to cut. I've used different colors of electrical tape & blue printer's tape. Just remove it immediately to avoid any sticky residue.
I have used the painters tape and it works very well. You also can use post-it notes on the top, several pieces along your line.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:25 AM

Fat Quarter Shop has the Creative Grids Rulers on sale today.
Old 11-30-2014, 03:35 PM
Power Poster

The first thing I do when working with dark fabric is to refold it and cut it with the back side out. Unless you are cutting black, navy, drk brown, the back side of fabrics are usually lighter than the front side and makes it much easier to see the ruler marks. I use the ordinary olfa rulers.

The idea of using painters tape or sticky notes as a great idea to help make any cutting task easier. Thanks.
peace