Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with binding >

Help with binding

Help with binding

Old 07-22-2015, 10:21 AM

I cut my binding 2 1/4 inches, do not iron it, just fold and sew it onto the front at 1/4 inch Then I press open the seam (again without pressing any fold) wrap to the back and press a little bit past the stitch line, then glue a thin bead all around and press. One of the things that helps get it on nice is to zigzag around the edge of your quilt before you begin - it makes a nice edge for the binding to hang on to. Lately, I've been using my edge joining, or stitch in the ditch foot, and if your machine will do it - i move the needle just a bit over to the right - 2"clicks" for me. That makes a nice stitching line just past the ditch, and will catch the back almost every time. If a spot gets missed, I just turn it over and fix it - never see it if your thread matches the binding. With practice, my bindings are looking better all the time - but practice is definitely required.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:31 AM

I use a flat fell foot and 2 1/2 inch strips. It is slow but looks good. I sometimes use washable glue if I want it to go faster. the seam is 3/8 which works better than 1/4. when you fold the binding over it should barely cover the stitch line. Practice practice!
Old 07-22-2015, 10:49 AM

Lots of pressing, glue, and I use my blind hem foot.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:51 PM

Thanks everyone for your good suggestions. I do have a Bernina and will check to see if I have that foot. But I usually use my Brother 1500. Also I need to use a wider strip, but I seem to always think 2 1/2 is enough until it is too late. My fault! I appreciate all of your replies. ~Janice
Old 07-23-2015, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by GrammieJan View Post
Thanks everyone for your good suggestions. I do have a Bernina and will check to see if I have that foot. But I usually use my Brother 1500. Also I need to use a wider strip, but I seem to always think 2 1/2 is enough until it is too late. My fault! I appreciate all of your replies. ~Janice
2 1/2 is plenty if the quilt is trimmed and the binding glued to the back after being sewn to the front. Sometimes it doesn't even fill up the binding.
Old 07-23-2015, 06:04 AM

There is a gadget to help you - Martelli Zip Bind System. I purchased it at a show and was determined to learn to use it. There is a learning curve so be patient, but when you master it you will never do binding any other way. It's amazing! I can do perfect binding on a baby quilt in less than 1-1/2 hours. It stitches in the ditch from the top and aligns the binding on the back to stitch evenly.
The system is expensive but Martelli is having their semi-annual sale Aug 6-8 and it should be 50% off. The code for ordering is RL1507. The video is on utube - Martelli Zip Bind System & Stitch in the Ditch: Part 1. Hope this helps. If there is an easier way to do things I usually find it.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:16 AM

I cut my binding 2.5" wide. I sew it to the back first and then turn it over to the front and top stitch it down.My Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2 has the IDT(built in walking foot).
Old 07-23-2015, 11:49 AM

I had never heard of that flange binding until I read about it here. I went to Christa's utube video and then looked at one by McCalls https://youtu.be/qcF_FIFeStY.. I love it .Looks so easy and beautiful.
Thanks,
Geri in Anchorage
Old 07-23-2015, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
There is a gadget to help you - Martelli Zip Bind System. I purchased it at a show and was determined to learn to use it. There is a learning curve so be patient, but when you master it you will never do binding any other way. It's amazing! I can do perfect binding on a baby quilt in less than 1-1/2 hours. It stitches in the ditch from the top and aligns the binding on the back to stitch evenly.
The system is expensive but Martelli is having their semi-annual sale Aug 6-8 and it should be 50% off. The code for ordering is RL1507. The video is on utube - Martelli Zip Bind System & Stitch in the Ditch: Part 1. Hope this helps. If there is an easier way to do things I usually find it.

That sounds interesting. I will check it out. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:08 PM

[QUOTE=institches33;7265305]There is a gadget to help you - Martelli Zip Bind System. I purchased it at a show and was determined to learn to use it. There is a learning curve so be patient, but when you master it you will never do binding any other way. It's amazing! I can do perfect binding on a baby quilt in less than 1-1/2 hours. It stitches in the ditch from the top and aligns the binding on the back to stitch evenly)
A friend loaned me hers to use and I didn't like it. I tried using several times and finally gave up and just use my edge foot.