Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with binding >

Help with binding

Help with binding

Old 07-23-2015, 11:24 PM

I have machined with and without flange binding. Personally I dislike the look on the back of the quilt where it shows a line of machine stitching on the binding. No matter what I use or colour match still feel the same. So go. Back to hand stitching.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I cut my binding 2.5" wide. I sew it to the back first and then turn it over to the front and top stitch it down.My Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2 has the IDT(built in walking foot).
Do you sew to the back using a 1/4 inch seam? I think that would be my answer, and then I would have enough width on the front side to suit me.
The stitching on the back would show, but like someone said...the stitching over the whole quilt shows so..no problem.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
I cut my binding 2.5" wide. I sew it to the back first and then turn it over to the front and top stitch it down.My Pfaff Quilt Expression 4.2 has the IDT(built in walking foot).
This is how I do it also 2 1/2 inch wide folded in half. I do no hand sewing as my neuropathy too bad now.
As long as you use matching top color thread and one in bobbin that will blend in to the underside of the quilt. Personally I think they will hild up better when washed too.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:14 PM

After years of trying the edge-stitching foot and moving my needle over, and sticking it down with wash-away wonder tape to keep it in place I was still not happy with the result. I have just learned a new technique using a flat felling foot (used for the double-needle seem on jeans). I sew it to the back, then use this foot to top stitch it down on the front. It has a deep groove underneath for the binding to ride when I sew it down. I use the 8mm felling foot for my Bernina (#71) and cut my strips at 2". I got a decent finish my first try without practice.

I found this technique on a blog and all I can cay is THANK YOU to the bloger:

http://awomanaday.com/2013/01/17/hap...nding-edition/