Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Help choosing a sewing machine for quilting...newbie

May I suggest a Janome machine, I use the Janomes for quilting, sewing, embroidery and all other crafts. I do not think you can beat the price and durability of these machines. Our local Janome dealer is great and very helpful in all areas.

for thomas

I have a singer , about 1o years old I love it for straight sewing or piecing quilt tops It does have a few extra fancy stitches I can and do use some times. best she try one out sewing machine stores usually
    have floor models to let her do that.

shot gun

Hi There . I now use a Brother NX400. and love it. Previously I used an Elna which I bought new in approx 1966 and I think I killed it with overwork. The fault with my Elna mainly was the fact that I couldnt drop the feed dogs, :cry: but the Brother does all that I want and more, still havent worked it all out yet and I have had it for a couple of years. :oops: Probably a slow learner :roll:

About 6 months ago a friend posted a message on free cycle
    that is a site that you can get and give stuff away free.
    she wrote telling that i wanted to teach my grandaughters how to sew and a short time later she recived a reply stating that i was to go and pick up a used singer simple zig zag sewing machine.i picked it up oiled it and began to quilt for the first time in my life i have sence made four quilts not bad for a beginner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Janome makes a small machine model JP 760. You should be able to get a good used one in your budget range. Just be sure to go to a dealer now a K-mart or that kind of a store. People trade up to bigger ones all the time. This is a small one that she will be able to take with her when she quilts with friends. I also have a Janome Memory Craft 6600 which is quite a bit more money but she could get one later if she decides to keep quitling.( and she will)

Well, I have has singers and Kenmore and Bernia's and my choice is the Bernia. I have 2 now and working on getting the 3rd. I lost the deco one as I was not using it. I have the 170 and the 730. I love them both. But if you want a good machine and she is going to be doing a lot of quilting then the 830 Bernia or even the 730 is good. You can sew, emborider and almost do anything on it except do dishes, and make the bed lol. But the service is great. Take it in once a yr for a check up and a way you go. It is just like your car. You take that in for a service check, so you do the same for you sewing machine. I have not had to take my machine in for anything but my yearly check up. It is such a good machine and you can always find a dealer and a servious tech to answer your questions. No matter how dumb you think there are. I would not trade my machine for all the choc in the world. Best bet is go to a Bernia dealer and try one out. Just like a car. Sit and sew with it and tell them what you are going to be doing with the machine . Good luck Sharon from South Dakota

What a great gift fot your wife! I love the used ELNA 6003 (with a walking foot) that I purchased from a long time quilter who was updating to the latest model, and I have made many quilts with it without problems. I suggest, as I did, that if you buy a used machine, have a dealer check it over first. (mine only needed a new cord which was worn)

a friend got me a machine on free cycle and that got me started quilting sence i have made 4 quilts for my grands its a simple singer zig zag nothing big it works fine.i think if i could afford a new machine it would be a brother they are a good choice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a Janome Memory Craft 3000. I like it alot and did haveproblemswith the bobbin case, but the repair man put in a larger case 3 yr ago and it has been working fine since. I watch that it stays threaded correctly as at time the thread goes off the front track. The bed is average size and janome now sells a larger bed that handles quilting much better. I am postponing buying another machine at this time.
    I also have a Simplicity machine and rarely use it. I don't advise a cheap machine from a discount store as you may end up paying more in repairs than the machine is worth. Good luck

Bev
    Hey Tom:
    Looks like I'm a bit late getting my two cents worth in, but here goes anyhow.
    I started my quilting career off with a Janome Jem Gold. It served me well both as an at-home machine and to take to classes and workshops. It's light weight, easy to use, as in "user friendly", has some good features, and works like a charm every time. A big plus was the price, around 200.00 to 300.00 depending if you get it on sale or not. I believe my hubby got mine on sale (it too was a b'day gift) for $200.00 complete with a case and many attachments. So when I was ready to upgrade I went for the Janome Platinum (I've been using my "Jemmy" for about 7 or 8 years now.) I wanted something that would do just a little bit more and I wanted a new model. I bought the Platinum 760. It has everything I wanted or needed. I keep it set up at home all the time. But I still carry my Jemmy with me everywhere I go, even on long trips. I've never, I mean NEVER had a moment's trouble with either one of them. I, of course, take good care of them and have them each serviced every year like clockwork. Ya don't mess with a good thing! My dealer tells me Janome also makes Singer now as well as Sears. I think your wife would love to have a Janome. If she's not up to date with sewing machines, she may not recognize the name and think it's some kind of knock off, but it's definitely not, and it's way up there in consumer's reviews.

By the way, a cheaper machine may be more difficult to use and require more knowledge about how a sewing machine runs, in order to make it behave.

Blog Entries
    Just FYI----the Kenmores that are made by Janome have a model number that begins with 385.
    AlwaysQuilting

The Quilter's review is a good place to get info as to the type of machine to get. She has actually written a book specifically about that issue.
    I have 3 different machines that I use for different things. One is a Brother - straight stitch and is on a frame for quilting only. Great machine. I have an old Kenmore (was quite fancy 10 + years ago) and is still going strong. I also have a Singer Featherweight that I use most for piecing and travelling.
    As for embroidery - a few stitches might be ok but most have suggested that if one is to really get into the embroidery that it is best to have a dedicated machine for that because it takes so much time and when set up for a project you can't do much else. But this is just an opinion.
    Website is: http://www.quiltersreview.com/review.asp
    Good luck. Pat

I was delighted to see all the responses mentioning Janome and Kenmore. I, too, have both these machines. I absolutely love my 8 year old Kenmore - haven't used the Janome yet.
    And I'm a newbie to this site. Been quilting for a long time.

Pfaff are a great machine they have what they call dual feed, which helps with machine quilting. Make sure no matter what machine she gets that. service is available and lessons . No matter how simple the machine looks a good sales person can really help with info Happy Hunting PS thats if the sales person knows how to sew, I used to sell machines and have sewn for 50 yrs.

I was ask to post a msg about what sewing machine I used. I recently purchased a Mega Quilter machine and frame, they are Husqvarna Viking. The machine is great, it's very powerful and fast, has a knee lift, needle threader & needle up/down positioner. It only does straight stitching, came with a darning foot. I've been practicing (over, over, over) before I put it in the frames to quilt. I'm just about there, thanks to all you nice ladies, I know I don't have to be perfect in all my quilting endeavors. Lynda

hi-- I have a baby lock esante and a janome 9700.
    Both are sewing/embroidery machines. I like both of them but the janome is the work horse of the two. I agree , she should test drive
    several machines before making a choice.
    Willie

My choice of a sewing machine would be a brother if i coulden't find a used one.brother is a very good choice for a machine. 8)

Welcome to the board, :D from Texas. I've only had a Singer for years until I got the Husquvarna, but so far I just love it.

Tom, I have 2 Kenmore machines and a Phaff. The Sears machines are made by Janome and all of the parts are interchangable. I use my Kenmore every day and have had very good luck with them. Sears also have a service department if you need repair. Have your wife take pieces of fabric whe will be sewing on with her to test. At any shop they will only show you fabric that sews very easy on the machines. Many shops and fabric stores offer classes in quilting. Just have her test,test, test any machine before she gets it. Good Luck, and happy hunting. QuiltNama

HI!
    I have been sewing for many years and quilting for about 12 or so. I have a Phaff that replaced my Kenmore. Though when I started doing more quilts I got a Janome (it was at a discounted price - new model came out). I also got an embroidery machine and that is strictkly used for embroidery. Look for a machine that suits her needs and don't be afraid to look at higher priced models - look at them for to compare differences of what they have to offer, more stitches, more feet, threader, auto cutter etc. You don't want to buy a machine and then in a few months she's out grown it or decides she really could use those other options. I love my Janome and had planned to eventually put it on a frame to do quilting with but ended up with a babylock on it for quilting. Hope this helps.
    Best of luck,
    Pam

I am using a Bernina 230 that I purchased three years ago as a retirement gift to myself. I am not interested in the embroidery features found on the more expensive machines and this one has all the features that seemed to fit with my need for a machine for a "new" quilter. I am very satisfied with it and am not looking to upgrade at this time. It is fun to look though! Our local Bernina dealer is currently featuring the new 830 model...with a price tag that gives me shivers!

Good idea to ask what sewing machines people are using.
    I always wonder.

I have a Janome 9000. Sure would like the Bernina with the stitch regulator foot.
    But, guess Santa will have to bring that.
    maryellen in wisconsin

Years ago I bought a Kenmore Sewing Machine at Sears. It is the equivalent of a Singer. I love it. When I originally sewed it was for clothing and like the Singer because it had a buttonhole maker. Today I still use this machine for all of my piecing of quilts. It has performed especially well even after all these yers. It has marks on the needle plate and one is for the 1/4" which is the standard seam allowance in quilting. The drawback is that I don't have double needle capability nor does it have needle up/needle down capibility. However, for a first machine I would recommend it and the price is not overwhelming.

Several years ago my loving husband and 2 sons bought me a Husqvarna Embroidery machine which I really love and use to embellish my quilts but when I am constructing the quilt I always return to using the Singer.
    Hope this helps.

It is perfectly fine for a man to visit a quilt store because many men are doing the quilting themselves.

You might also ask at the quilt store if they have any classroom machines available for sale. You can get some good deals on these machines also. They are machines that have been used in the classroom for ususally about a year and then sold at a reduced price.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast