Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-04-2010, 07:26 AM

You need to quilt. It's your outlet. It's necessary to your mental well being. Just because your daughter doesn't want your quilts now, doesn't mean she won't want them later, when you can either no longer make them or are gone.
The others have valid suggestions. Quilts 4 Kids, Project Linus, Quilts of Valor would ALL appreciate your donations...and so would *I*!! :lol: That's it...just send those quilts to me...I will love them and take good care of them, and I don't care how many there are! ;) :)
Old 10-04-2010, 07:26 AM

Your daughter truly doesn't get it at all. Don't let her discourage her.

You LOVE to quilt......reading between the lines, it is just so obvious.

I for one give most of my quilts away and when I run out of relatives, special organizations will get my quilts.

Just remembered if you are covered with a hand made quilt, you are covered with LOVE and I can think of a lot of people in the world who need a little love in their life.

Keep sewing! Please!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:27 AM

Here is another option for someone right here on the board. A woman, Jan, asked for quilts for her SIL in Afghanistan and other soldiers there. Here is the link, with dimensions, etc. They are extremely pleased to receive them.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-67645-1.htm
Old 10-04-2010, 07:29 AM

Check to see if there are any group homes in your area. These young adults love to receive things like quilts.
Check with your local fire dept. See if they will accept quilts to give to fire or accident survivors. There are a lot of people out there who would love to know that someone cares. DON'T GIVE UP what you love to do.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:29 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
It sounds like there is more to this story than you are sharing here. Unless your quilting habit is getting you into debt, causing you to neglect your friends, skip meals, or filling up your house to an unreasonable degree, I'd keep right on!
If this is the case, cut back and take care of what needs to be taken care of.

If it's just that your daughter does not get it - then continue on - I don't get Playing Golf - but my DH seems to enjoy it -

I definitely don't get smoking and recreational drugs.

Yes, quilting can be a VERY expensive pastime/hobby - but if you can afford it, why not?

Last time I looked, it's still a legal activity (in spite of rumors of "the quilt police")
Old 10-04-2010, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by jfowles
So, I love quilting, dah!! it doesn't matter if I have someone to give it to, if I need it or even like it very much I just love quilting. My daughter who is my best friend and a wonderful friend at that, told me the other day, (at least this is what I heard) that it was all kind of a waste, I don't have anymore people to give them to and what is she going to do with them when I am gone. I have too many to display and they aren't good enough to give as works of art (my thoughts). So now I am working on a child's quilt with no one to give it to. I bought the expensive fabric that was made for the pattern (American Jane) and I just feel stupid working on something just to be quilting. I have no idea what to do with it but it has been so so expensive to make that I want it to go to someone who will appreciate it. I told her I can donate them but she seemed to think there is an over abundance of quilts and no one really wants them. I make her sound like an ogre and she really isn't, she just doesn't get it, Anyway now I feel bad about all the money and time I have spent just to appease my addiction when no one has any use for my work. I may not finish the child's quilt and just move on to something I intend to use as a gift, I think the intended recipient will appreciate it but now I am rethinking the whole idea of quilting as just plan selfish and self serving. So I've rambled on a long time with this, I just feel bad and I need some moral support to justify my need to continue what I love.

I agree with everyone else and I say she doesn't get it either. On another note, there are always people who are in need of warmth and comfort, so why not make quilts for the needy or other charitable organizations?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:36 AM

what seems silly and pointless to others, doesn't matter if you are doing something to please yourself and fill your days. our kids don't have to agree with us, just as we don't have to agree with them.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

You know your story could have been written by me. Same idea, I love making quilts but how many can we use. I have made tablerunners,wallhangings everthing I could think of and now I have plenty.
We have an adult care facility in a near by town. These people really have nothing. How about making quilts/lap quilts for them. They will treasure them forever. I know because I have worked with them and they like the fact that some one cares for them.
Keep up your hobby no matter how much others dont "get it".
Old 10-04-2010, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

Sending you {{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}] and much encouragement :lol: Children and adults go to bed every night without a blanket , they would love a quilt ! Homeless shelters would love them, I am sure- maybe the childrens area of your local hospital ? And Quilts for Kids is a HUGE project this year :thumbup: And if you contact them they will send you a kit to make one with their fabric and then you can send two back- yours and theirs :lol:

I for one will never be caught up on making quilts and don't even have one for myself :cry:

Keep doing what you love to do - as long as you can do it :lol:
Old 10-04-2010, 07:44 AM

As soon as I finish the quilt I am working on now, I am going to make some quilts for the local hosp. I talked to 2 different hosp. in my area and they are both eager for blankets for their NICU, Pediatric units.
Last year I donated several fleece blankets to the local Cancer treatments center - may or may not do that again this year depending on time.
Just because quilting is not your daughter's "thing" she shouldn't be negative about you doing it. If it makes you happy to do it, it has accomplished what it is supposed to do.
Keep on doing it and enjoy every minute!