Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-04-2010, 08:27 AM

okay now i do not understand this....You are doing something YOU love to do and whether or not it can go to someone is not the point. Does an artist sell or give all his paintings away? I got into quilting just by accident. Went to a fabirc shop to see what was there and fell in love with all the material. since then I have spent thousands of dollars . have quite the stash built up and love my time in my sewing room. TO me I call it therapy.. cheaper than therapy. I could be sitting on the couch watching tv every night and drinkin wine or sewing the quilts that probably no one would want. but it makes me feel good
Old 10-04-2010, 08:29 AM

To an extent, I do understand what your daughter is saying...but it only applies if A) you're going into debt and/or not paying bills because you're spending on quilting supplies, and/or B)you can't walk in your house because of the quilts/stash/machines/etc. everywhere and/or C) You're not eating, sleeping or participating in life's many other activities and joys

If money is an issue, I'm certain you'd find many people who would buy your quilts - you can fund your "habit" ;) buy posting them for sale on craigslist or something like it. Who knows, you might just find yourself in business!

If only space is the issue, you can donate to a worthy cause (there are SO MANY!).
Old 10-04-2010, 08:36 AM

One of my daughters doesn't like quilted items either. I am fortunate enough to be able to watch her two boys 3 days a week and the oldest one loves my quilts. He is only 3, but he has to have a different one to take his nap under everyday. He likes to have one for each holiday. Now he is able to help sew a simple 10 minute table runner and we have so much fun looking at the quilts together. I am sure that there is someone around you that will enjoy the quilts. I use good fabric, too because I could easily afford it before I retired. It's a little different now and I do buy some less expensive goods. Do what makes YOU happy.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:37 AM

Keep quilting because it is your passion. If your passion comes from the heart it is worth more than gold. I for one have seen people so excited when they purchase a quilt. It doesn't matter if your daughter does not understand now, but she will someday when all that is left is your quilts - and you are in heaven sewing with real gold thread, 100,000,000 percent cotton, silk, etc., and the best batting ever! I have donated to a hospital, a Children ICU, in Southern California. They ask for pillows that have a small pocket on them. When the child dies, the hospital gives the parent(s) a pillow with a note inside the pillow. Included in the note is the child's hand print. I didn't have much fabric, but I had/have enough for pillows. My Mama has always said that when you give a gift, give with your whole heart. The happiness it gave you is the reward. And, don't worry about what happens after, that is no longer your responsibility. Enjoy your rewards, enjoy your passion because your earned it. God bless
Old 10-04-2010, 09:04 AM

I agree with all above so many Great thoughts, Agree to Disagree on this, it's your thing we all need to do our own thing at times, if it's a high dollar Quilt without a home can always add a post it when you put it away, letting others know what was going on at the time, or make a diary with pictures, of what was going on at the time, maybe later will get it.(or not) your choice, your life etc. All should be able to do whatever, I don't get what many others do, seems like a waste to me, many seem to absolutely no point to it, but were all different thats OK !!
Leave instructins with your Daughter on what to happen if somthing happens to you.
Always someone who find a good from these useful, nonargueing, don't talk back, can't call back, challenging at times to yourself, Eye Candy, useful, warm, pretty, ETC. Happy Quilting !! :)
Old 10-04-2010, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

I will quilt for as long as it is enjoyable to me, and I am physically able to do it :D Many don't understand why I do, or necessarily appreciated quilts, but they respect my love of quilting, and the happiness, peace and comfort that it gives me :D:D:D

I can find many places that would love receiving one of my quilts, humble as they are :D Nursing Homes, Hospitals, Foster Care, Homeless/Shelters, Group Homes, Families who have lost their homes due to fires/floods/other disasters, the list goes on...
So I will always be able to find homes for my quilts, and that makes me very happy, and my children too as they won't have a roomful to figure out what to do with, once I am gone LOL although they do "know" who to call/where to take them :D:D:D

So, quilt to your hearts content, keep some, give some, and if DD doesn't want to deal with them once you are gone? Designate that job to someone else in your will :wink: :D:D:D
Old 10-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jfowles
So, I love quilting, dah!! it doesn't matter if I have someone to give it to, if I need it or even like it very much I just love quilting. My daughter who is my best friend and a wonderful friend at that, told me the other day, (at least this is what I heard) that it was all kind of a waste, I don't have anymore people to give them to and what is she going to do with them when I am gone. I have too many to display and they aren't good enough to give as works of art (my thoughts). So now I am working on a child's quilt with no one to give it to. I bought the expensive fabric that was made for the pattern (American Jane) and I just feel stupid working on something just to be quilting. I have no idea what to do with it but it has been so so expensive to make that I want it to go to someone who will appreciate it. I told her I can donate them but she seemed to think there is an over abundance of quilts and no one really wants them. I make her sound like an ogre and she really isn't, she just doesn't get it, Anyway now I feel bad about all the money and time I have spent just to appease my addiction when no one has any use for my work. I may not finish the child's quilt and just move on to something I intend to use as a gift, I think the intended recipient will appreciate it but now I am rethinking the whole idea of quilting as just plan selfish and self serving. So I've rambled on a long time with this, I just feel bad and I need some moral support to justify my need to continue what I love.
Yikes! Can you arrange to do a "show and tell" at different institutions that interest you -- maybe schools? And/or talk to the principal to find out if there are disadvantaged kids who would appreciate wrapping themselves in your love. There are *so* many people who would truly appreciate your work!!! But you are cut off from them!

You don't have to personally know each person to whom you give a quilt, but I think it's better to know something about them (even if they remain anonymous) than to simply give quilts blindly to an institution. I feel those of us who create need some personal ties to those to whom we give.

Another possibility is to associate yourself with a home for battered women and their children. There is a great deal of secrecy involved with these homes, but if you can find someone in charge of one -- again, you can get stories about who needs a quilt and maybe who appreciates a quilt you have been given. I know that the children in these hospices have often had very hard lives; a quilt of their own to snuggle in can be a *huge* comfort.

There are people out there who [b]need[b] your quilts. You just have to find a way to connect with them!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:18 AM

There is never enough quilts. Whether for yourself or for others or for charity. Hang them on the wall. Hang them on the porch. Hang them as shower curtains. Cover tables with them. Wrap gifts in them. Cover couches with them.

There is never a reason NOT to do something you love so much.

If you told that person not to do (...insert here whatever it is that she loves, up to and including raising her dear children as there are "already so many extra children in the world"...), what in the world do you imagine she would say to that!
Someone who loves you will be happy if you are happy.

I make quilts because I want to.
Enough of a reason for me.
Enough said!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:25 AM

It's obvious that your daughter has NO idea of the love, creativity and money that goes into making a quilt. Please finish your Jane quilt and give it to someone that you know will appreciate it. There are all kinds of charities that would love to have quilts, quilted or tied, expensive fabric or not to be given to their clients. I've given to foster kids, fire and police department, homeless shelters, etc. I know one quilter who does tons of quilts and donates them to a home where the clients have AIDS. Please don't stop quilting because of what your daughter says. If YOU enjoy it, keep doing it.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:26 AM

there are lots of places that want quilts, local womens shelters, inquire with fire and police to see if they need one to carry in there trunks, eve animal shelters can use some pillow cases stuffed with scraps for the animals. dont' get discouraged, keep on quilting.