Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-04-2010, 09:33 AM

"told me the other day, (at least this is what I heard)"

Perhaps you should explore with your daughter if what you heard (and what it sounded like to you) was indeed what she meant. I have found that sometimes phrases people use they mean in a different way then I understand them to mean. I can imagine how that must have hurt to hear.

And if after clarifying her meaning you find she has no interest in having quilts or doesn't want to be bothered with finding a home for them after you are gone; sell them or give them to whoever you would like through the many charities.
A woman at a shelter that had to leave an abusive home would find comfort in a quilt, someone who has lost everything in a fire would treasure a quilt, a child in foster care that may have to move to several homes might feel some consistancy in a quilt they can have and take with them.
I find more people love quilts than people who don't. Someone will treasure your quilts. You just have to go out and find them.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by starshine
Someone will treasure your quilts. You just have to go out and find them.
HEAR HEAR!!
Like me for instance, ...........Or anyone else on this board.
And there are waaay more of us than of your daughter! Muuhahahahaha

Don't get us started!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Banned

Oh, don't give up what you love working on. It is your outlet and a way to express your love.

I understand a bit of what you are going through only in that my daughter's reaction to going into longarm quilting business was. "Good luck with that."

There are so many organizations that can use your quilts. Shelters of all kinds, children. Fire victims. So so many.

You can also make them and sell them on etsy. Or commission them at a quilt shop to sell.

Keep quilting!

{{{Hugs}}}
Old 10-04-2010, 10:03 AM

I have another suggestion. Donate baby quilts to your local hospital. NICU and peds units in particular make great use of donated items such as these.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:17 AM

If quilting makes you happy, then QUILT.... I love quilting. I can't even imagine my life without it! That make sound stupid but , that is what I like to do in my spare time. Keep your machine purring with all the quilting you can do...
Old 10-04-2010, 10:25 AM

I don't think you need to justify your hobby and your passion.Women have been doing handwork for hundreds of years and putting them in a drawer for future generations. I too have given everyone in my family and friends quilts but I wouldn't dream of quitting either. I just put them in a closet and when any of us needs a gift, there is one ready to give. Keep up with what you love doing. Probably when your daughter is older she will change her mind.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:28 AM

(trying not to sound mean at all) but forget those who don't get it. my hubby doesn't get it. he gets mad at me when I bring fabric into the house. But you know what, the quilts that I will be making for people are because I love to quilt and love to spread around the warmth of my love to those who receive them. Now that you are out of people to quilt for and want them to go to people who will appreciate the gift why not find a local women shelter or teen mom home that you can donate them too. you can make them for the mommies to be as well. sometimes they need that little extra telling them that someone not only cares about them but loves them enough to take the time and make them a quilt. when I run out of people to give my quilts to, I plan on "hooking" up with a local teen mommy place that I know of and taking my baby quilts and mommy quilts in to them as they are needed. If they will let me. you can also go to places like children s hospitals also. but I would get their list of requirements as to what can an cannot be used fabric wise just to be on the safe side.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:59 AM

There are many many children out there that would treasure a quilt from you! So many little people are sick and in the hospital. Not all of these precious little ones have a big family of support and love. A simple quilt to snuggle would mean the world to them! I myself have started a mission to make quilts for children in a hospital in Ohio that treats children for neuroblastoma. The mother of the boy who inspired me told me that while there for her son's treatment, she sees so many children that are sitting in thier beds all alone.
Please don't EVER think that making a quilt is a waste of time. Keep making them and just look around a bit and you won't take long to find people or children who would be willing recipients. The added bonus to getting to feed your addiction,is knowing you have brought a smile to someone elses face!!
:)
Old 10-04-2010, 11:07 AM

Way to every one. They are right there are dozens of places to donate your quilts to that would be happy to get them don't worry what your D says, some day she will get it like the rest of us do
Old 10-04-2010, 11:43 AM

There is also Quilts of Valor Foundation and the Wounded Warior Projects.