Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-04-2010, 04:56 PM

If one of MY kids said that, I'd know they felt like I was spending money that they were too (fill in whatever word fits) to come right out and ask me for, but feel like I should be giving them...and for no other reason than they want to spend it on something they want but don't have the $$$ for at the moment and they don't want to wait till they have enough saved up to get.

I've been very generous to my kids and they've come to take it for granted, but now I'm retiring and my funds will be more limited and they are just going to have to deal with it! And they do at least partially understand my need to quilt and do other crafts, because I've been doing some sort of craft (not necessarily quilting) all their lives.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:18 PM

Ditto!! Don't stop doing what you love! I wish I had an overload of quilts, I love them so much! God Bless!
Old 10-04-2010, 09:23 PM

Noooooooooooooo! Don't stop! I almost always give my crafts away! I do it because I enjoy it. Give the quilts to veterans homes, firehouses, I just gave smaller ones to the sherrifs dept for when they have to remove children from their home, give them to ppl raising money for medical reasons , newbie units at the hospital ect. There's a lot of ppl who would love and appreciate quilts! Even mine whose have a lot of mistakes! Lol !
Old 10-05-2010, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
If one of MY kids said that, I'd know they felt like I was spending money that they were too (fill in whatever word fits) to come right out and ask me for, but feel like I should be giving them...and for no other reason than they want to spend it on something they want but don't have the $$$ for at the moment and they don't want to wait till they have enough saved up to get.

I've been very generous to my kids and they've come to take it for granted, but now I'm retiring and my funds will be more limited and they are just going to have to deal with it! And they do at least partially understand my need to quilt and do other crafts, because I've been doing some sort of craft (not necessarily quilting) all their lives.
good for you I am not leaving much for my kids they p me off most of the time
Old 10-05-2010, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by martha jo
I give them to foster kids identified by the school as "needy" at Christmas. Try to make doll quilts and buy dolls for the girls too. Someone else will have to do the boys.
What a marvelous idea! Especially the doll quilt with a doll.
I wonder how often a child might "fall through the cracks" because they aren't in a certain program but still may have some unmet need.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Please do not stop doing what you love! What is in your heart is most important!
I give my quilts to a place that helps women and children. My sister in law works there, so I know that I can make something with love, and know it will be much appreciated!
There are shelters, veteran homes, etc. that would love to have some of your handmade creations! :)
Old 10-05-2010, 07:53 AM

Do like I do....I made the quilts for my family and friends and really don't have anyone to make them for anymore and I will not give up my quilting by no means. I sell my quilts and other quilted items and my crafts so I can help pay for things we need for our home, taking vacations and what ever else that pops up. I can't work out side the home as I can't stand at an 8 hour a day job due to my arthritis in my knees. May God bless you to be inspired and he will answer.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:27 AM

Yesterday I wrote a lengthy response to your post because I could identify with what you were feeling when you typed and sent it (not the part where feelings were hurt by daughter, but the part where you were wondering if you should continue making quilts). This is a p.s. to my note of yesterday ... something that I think is important to consider. All aspects of quilt making keep the mind active. Very often I have to put on my thinking cap to figure out how to accomplish a particular quilting task to achieve the results that I want. When I come up with a solution that works, I feel very good about myself and deserve at least one "attaboy". I think, since you love & like your daughter very much & vice versa, that you should have a candid talk with her about what she said and what she actually meant. I cannot believe that she meant to hurt your feelings.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:37 AM
Power Poster

there are literally thousands (millions?) of people out there who would not only LOVE one of your quilts but be very very appreciative and grateful! there is nothing selfish about quilting!
local hospitals, fire departments, police, red cross, womens resource center, family court, local charities all love to receive and give quilts to people who need them. the local branch of the cancer society; the library, swim school, YMCA, the list just goes on and on, and all would LOVE what ever you are willing to share. and the recipients? well, they are blown away by the beautiful quilts, and wonder how anyone could possibly part with such a treasure, when for us...it's nothing special...it is for them! contact local churches, or other agencies to give them away. I donate 2 quilts every year to a local pre-school that raffles them off to help pay for extra activities, field trips. i give quilts to the local red cross and the fire department, they are given to families who loose everything in a house fire. I give quilts to the womens' resource center, they are given to kids/families who due to unfortunate circumstances are 'starting-over' with nothing. and not to be mean but...i think your daughter is the selfish one.
Old 10-05-2010, 10:27 AM

I started making wall quilts, and taple toppers. Seasonal themes............and oriental. I put them sometimes on my front door. They are completed at a faster rate, and I can Machine quilt them myself. I think its great you have an interest. I also make the wool mittens from wool sweaters purchased from the thrift stores. They are fun........calla