Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-06-2010, 04:01 AM

All I can add to what has already been said here is....Quilt On, Sister!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:05 AM

Your daughter sounds alot like mine several years ago. I had so many quilts that I could never use them all. She set me up with an Etsy shop and now I sell them to keep me in fabric. I give alot of them away to my church and relatives too. Lap quilts are greatly appreciated at rest homes for the wheelchair bound too. There are all kinds of charities that would love to get them! NO quilt is ever a waste!!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:18 AM

You know as I get older I make things to have in reserve. I have hand knit cotton washcloths and lovely soaps to go with, pretty fingerless gloves, pretty pillow slips with crocheted edges. I know there will be a time I cannot do my handwork but I will be able to give it. Last week I gave a pillow and lovely pillow slip to my Physical Therapist on the last day of therapy as she was such an inspiring help to me. She loved it and will use it when she goes on the 60 mile walk for breast cancer next weekend. Earlier I gave her a pair of hand knit socks when I first learned of her plans for walking. So you never can tell when your work will delight someone. Another therapist had a birthday on my day and I gave her a small gift of washcloth and soap. She was so surprised and happy. Both items were ready to give, no stress except for selecting the right one for the person. Quilting will soon be in the lineup!I am just a rank beginner but it is such fun I won't stop.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:28 AM

I sincerely hope you are feeling very encouraged--I just read through ALL the responses and certainly agree--you should keep on doing what you love and DO NOT FEEL GUILTY about it.
I used to spend hours and hours reading--no one really benefited except me and the author/book store. My quilts go to so many places and many people benefit. When you find an outlet yours will too. I wonder if you have thought about checking with your the local quilting guild--our guild gives quilts to several "causes".
Above all, keep on doing what you love to do.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:35 AM

There are so many places to give quilts like women's shelters, day care centers, police, fire dept., sheriff's dept, nursing homes, oncology departments at your hospital for chemo patients. Any place that could use quilts would appreciate your efforts.

Don't stop doing what you love to do. So much good can come from this.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:39 AM

Sometimes our offsprings don't get the joy we render from our hobby, be it quilting , woodcrafting, doll making etc.
It's a passion inside of us,which makes us happy. Somethings not perfect but we tried our best and that is what counts. Over the years my Daughter has come to realize this is what makes my day.She also knows what's coming her way for xmas. Enjoy your quilting, hopefully one day the light bulb will go on for your Daughter too. God Bless. You got alot of people telling you where your quilts will bring a smile & warmth and great appreication . Go to a childs cancer ward in the hospital and ask if you could donate to a child a quilt. I'll be here and so will all the other quilters to cheer you on.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:46 AM

I don't have any family to give to actually, BUT there are people in nursing homes, thehospital probably needs quilts for the children whohave been taken from the meth homes and I love that idea of having a "quilt / garage sale". Or - put up asign that you have quilts for sale, or an ad in the paper.....My dear, I'm sure there are lots of people who would love to have a quilt - with the winters beginning.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:51 AM

I just read this entire thread and agree you should continue to quilt as long as you can. Donating your quilts can be very rewarding. Giving them for charity raffles is another way to pass them on and certainly the recipient will appreciate having the quilt, esp. as they bought the raffle tickets! Selling them (be sure you price them appropriately) can keep you in more fabric and supplies! If you have created a quilt that you put a lot of time and $$ into and are especially pleased with, hang it on your wall for a while just to enjoy. You can always pass it on to an especially deserving person when you find them, perhaps you could have a writing contest at a school or ?? and choose the recipient that way. Might even make a new friend that way (and teach them to quilt too!). Your daughter will ocme around to appreciate your takent some day. In the meantime, keep on quilting!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:55 AM

My quilt guild gives quilts to the county childrens' shelter. They love having something to call their own. Also, we give them to the local battered women's shelter. They leave sometimes with nothing but clothes on their back. They would cherish a quilt. Keep quilting - it is your hobby and love. Don't let anyone discourage you.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:59 AM

Wow!!! This is my first reply and I'm new, love getting my morning fix looking at all the beautiful quilts on this site. I agree your daughter doesn't get it and shouldn't degrade something you love so much. I lost my Mom (who taught me to sew) in April and my 97 year old father took care of her until the day she died refussing to put her in a nursing home. He had a stroke 4 weeks ago and now doesn't even remember being married to her for 65 years. Today I'm transferring him to another nursing home ( 2 hrs.away) because once they stop theorpy we have to pay $8,000.00 a month. He doesn't qualify for aid. Sewing in my release. Don't you dare stop something your find joy in. I'd love to see your quilts when I have my morning coffiee. If you were close to me I take you to a quilting store for your next quilt. God Bless Donna