Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-06-2010, 05:01 AM

What does your daughter do in her spare time?

There are plenty of places that would love to be on the receiving end of your quilts. Our Rescue Mission opened a new women's/children's shelter last fall, and a few local churches made quilts for all the beds there.

If the cost of quilting is getting to you, you could put an ad in the paper or your local Craigslist asking for fabric donations to make quilts for charities. There are people out there with stuff they don't want to bother to sell and would gladly donate to someone they know will put it to good use. I did that for the Million pillowcase challenge and received free fabric for that.

You could do a great service without having to fund the whole project yourself. (and make more!!)
Old 10-06-2010, 05:03 AM

I'm so sorry your daughter (obviously) hurt your feelings. First of all, life is too short to live it trying to please others. Let your daughter know that you enjoy your quilting. I think as long as you're not ignoring your family, then you're okay. If you can't display them all, then rotate them. Also, maybe you could make wall-hanging size, or make lap quilts for the nursing homes or cancer hospitals; and Project Linus is always looking for quilts. And don't give up what you love!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:06 AM

oh, my, your daughter just does not get it. Does she have a hobby? I love to make quilts. Gives me the opportunity to try out all kinds of patterns and color combos. Although my favorite are scrap quilts. There is always someone who can use a quilt. I give to Project Linus - and they in turn give them to hospitals, crisis centers, homeless, etc. Please don't quit making quilts. Donate them - gives a real good feeling in your heart.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:22 AM

Does an artist stop painting when they have no place to display the painting. NO! Keep quilting and let her think what she wants.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:41 AM

Quilting is a wonderful hobby. Just think of all the hobbies that have no end result - nothing to show for money spent. Golf comes to mind (I DO golf, but I also quilt). Do what you enjoy - life is not just the destination - it's the JOURNEY and you have every right to enjoy your journey without feeling badly! People each have their own opinions - not neccesarily right or wrong - just their opinion. Hang in there and enjoy!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:43 AM

I think it is great you enjoy the quilting as much as we all do.. At times I slow down and need a kick start.. Personally I think your love for it is wonderful and find it funny your daughter feels like she does.. My youngest son is 31 and he loves all the quilts I have made him and is always hinting at another one or one for special people who have done things good in his life... Keep on quilting!! :D
Old 10-06-2010, 05:49 AM

Do what u love...make yourself happy ....thats what its all about.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:49 AM

I think you ought to print out all these replies and send them to your daughter! Let her see that there lots of needy places that would love your quilts! I agree with what everyone has been saying! Maybe one day she might come around.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

How about making smaller or mini quilts. Thats what I have been doing. There are many patterns on line for them. I also make tablerunners,table cloths pot holders etc. I dont need more large projects but I still keep my hobby alive.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:54 AM

I disagree with your daughter as well. This is your hobby and no different than if you loved to golf or something like that. Yes, there's a cost involved, but it's what you love to do. I also agree that you need to keep it within reason and if you're getting into serious debt, it's time to scale back on your golf game, so to speak. Save the quilt.
You know that there will be a special child in your future. You just haven't met him/her yet. But I promise, an opportunity to share this with someone special will come.
Don't give up your hobby - keep quilting - and we'd all love to see pictures of this latest project! Please post!