Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-05-2010, 10:52 AM

Was your daughter possibly feeling overwhelmed with the responsibility of using and/or finding a good home for the things she knows you love the most? (When that time comes.) When you know what you want her to do with your quilts, tell her. Maybe that is all she was searching for.
I had that feeling about the afghans I crocheted. My grandson came into this world a few years later. Now he confiscates each one he sees and will not give it up. It becomes his and he is very possessive with them. He might have 4 to 6 of them in his bed at night. He knows each of them and if one goes missing he is very upset until he finds it. He has made my heart glad I didn't quit. I have since moved on to quilting. It may be years before I crochet again but someday I will and it is someone else's problem what they do with them. If they go in a yard sale someone will get them because 'they want them'.
Passion can not be banned with words. Think how many woman's abuse centers there are. How comforting a quilt is to snuggle in and wrap us with when your world is down falling around your ears. Your quilts can bring so much warmth and love to many people.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by jfowles
So, I love quilting, dah!! it doesn't matter if I have someone to give it to, if I need it or even like it very much I just love quilting. My daughter who is my best friend and a wonderful friend at that, told me the other day, (at least this is what I heard) that it was all kind of a waste, I don't have anymore people to give them to and what is she going to do with them when I am gone. I have too many to display and they aren't good enough to give as works of art (my thoughts). So now I am working on a child's quilt with no one to give it to. I bought the expensive fabric that was made for the pattern (American Jane) and I just feel stupid working on something just to be quilting. I have no idea what to do with it but it has been so so expensive to make that I want it to go to someone who will appreciate it. I told her I can donate them but she seemed to think there is an over abundance of quilts and no one really wants them. I make her sound like an ogre and she really isn't, she just doesn't get it, Anyway now I feel bad about all the money and time I have spent just to appease my addiction when no one has any use for my work. I may not finish the child's quilt and just move on to something I intend to use as a gift, I think the intended recipient will appreciate it but now I am rethinking the whole idea of quilting as just plan selfish and self serving. So I've rambled on a long time with this, I just feel bad and I need some moral support to justify my need to continue what I love.

I do not agree with your daughter either. First of all does she love what you have done for her? If she does then she should be proud of you. As far as no one wanting them if you donate them. There are plenty of hospitals and childrens homes that would just love a quilt. What about the homeless shelters, I am sure they would love to have some quilts. There is always someone and somewhere to donate a quilt of love. If you have the money to put into your love then I say keep quilting. Maybe you should try and teach her about quilting. Who knows she might just catch the bug herself.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:27 AM

I agree with all of the above. If it brings you pleasure, that alone makes it okay. We each have our reasons for quilting... does not matter.. It is your choice of an outlet and your talent will be appreciated by someone(s) more than you can ever know. Start looking around and I am sure you will find someone(s) who would be thrilled to have one of your quilts. Fundraisers, hospitals, daycare centers, new mothers, homeless shelters, military hospitals would all love to have some of your artwork. It is your mental and emotional release.. take care of yourself.... QUILT!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:28 AM

In order to stay healthy in spirit and mind one needs to keep active, positive and open to new ideas. It doesn't matter if it cost a lot of money for your 'habit' - no - one counts the golf clubs as selfish, or how many cartons of cigarettes or beer have been consumed. You will have a lovely legacy for all to admire. Change the quilts around every week if you have to. Surely a gift is never criticised, and if you are not taking bread from someone else in order to quilt it should not be a problem. If you earned the money you can spend it how you like - there is no obligation to save it all up like a miser so that other people get the inheritance - enjoy your life whilst you can...keep on quilting (you don't need to justify).
Old 10-06-2010, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by chamby
Originally Posted by jfowles
So, I love quilting, dah!! it doesn't matter if I have someone to give it to, if I need it or even like it very much I just love quilting. My daughter who is my best friend and a wonderful friend at that, told me the other day, (at least this is what I heard) that it was all kind of a waste, I don't have anymore people to give them to and what is she going to do with them when I am gone. I have too many to display and they aren't good enough to give as works of art (my thoughts). So now I am working on a child's quilt with no one to give it to. I bought the expensive fabric that was made for the pattern (American Jane) and I just feel stupid working on something just to be quilting. I have no idea what to do with it but it has been so so expensive to make that I want it to go to someone who will appreciate it. I told her I can donate them but she seemed to think there is an over abundance of quilts and no one really wants them. I make her sound like an ogre and she really isn't, she just doesn't get it, Anyway now I feel bad about all the money and time I have spent just to appease my addiction when no one has any use for my work. I may not finish the child's quilt and just move on to something I intend to use as a gift, I think the intended recipient will appreciate it but now I am rethinking the whole idea of quilting as just plan selfish and self serving. So I've rambled on a long time with this, I just feel bad and I need some moral support to justify my need to continue what I love.

I do not agree with your daughter either. First of all does she love what you have done for her? If she does then she should be proud of you. As far as no one wanting them if you donate them. There are plenty of hospitals and childrens homes that would just love a quilt. What about the homeless shelters, I am sure they would love to have some quilts. There is always someone and somewhere to donate a quilt of love. If you have the money to put into your love then I say keep quilting. Maybe you should try and teach her about quilting. Who knows she might just catch the bug herself.
This exact thing happened to me! My mother is an avid quilter (age 94 next week) and she would drag me around to JoAnn's, Hancock, different quilt shops, Mill End to look for 1/4 yd of this and a 1/2 yd of that and a ruler for this or some rotary blades (BHF) (before Harbor Freight!!!!) and I could think of a million things I would rather be doing than feeling fabric and "see if you can find me a 45mm blade."! Twelve years ago, and I honestly do not remember how it came to be, I decided to make a quilt after her urging and pushing and I tried it. I loved it. I am so totally hooked on it that I can't get enough of it. Granted I may not have a stash as big as some of you, but I'm a'gettin' there! And darned proud of it too. I thank God for my mother so gently pushing me into quilting (yah, right, like a bulldozer!!!!) Mom is not going to be with us forever, but she is leaving me a legacy - quilting - and giving - and "creating" (only God can create (making something out of nothing)) and sharing and something I can pass on to my grandchildren (we only had one child - a son - and I can bet you dollars to donuts that trying to teach him to quilt would be like pulling teeth. He is too busy repairing the tractor on their little farm). So, if not him, we have two granddaughters I can work on! Their mother is a quilter also. So I am the frosting in a sandwich cookie - one older and one younger than me, sharing the traditional ideas with the newer techniques and ideas. Work on your daughter. Don't stop, don't even think about it. I am a mother. I would never let my son and his family think about stifling me in what I love to do any more than I would try to stifle my mother. Good luck to you. We have earned this and we are entitled to our hobby, our sanity keeper! Edie
Old 10-06-2010, 02:56 AM

Have you thought about posting the excess quilts in the for sale part of the Board? There are many out here who would purchase your work. Maybe if your daughter saw that quilts really ARE worth $$ her attitude would change. My kids also gave me some grief about this, so I sold a couple and waved the $$ under their noses. Would you believe, now they encourage me to make "more of their inheritance". Besides my quilting keeps my nose out of their business. grin. Told them if I wasn't quilting, I'd be coming over for lunch. OK just kidding a bit here. As long as your not using the grocery money, don't worry about it. You enjoy it, do it.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:00 AM

You're right, right now she doesn't understand... but one day she will and she will she will treasure every one of them. So keep on quilting, and leave her a note attached to your finished quilts for when you've gone on to the big quilting bee in the sky, asking her to pass your quilts out at your funeral to friends and family who who would like a memento of your love. I believe when she begins thinking about having lost her best friend, she will treasure and want to keep every quilt you made as a source of comfort and later she will want to pass them on to her children, grandchildren etc. I know this because I treasure the couple of quilts I have inherited more than I ever realized I would when my GM was quilting them. Wrapping yourself in a quilt made by someone you loved who has passed away is as comforting as being hugged by them!
Old 10-06-2010, 03:46 AM

I so sorry, that hurts. I belong to a group that donates to the local hospital and let me tell you there is not a over abundance of quilts. There is about 20 of us and we can not keep up the demand for more quilts. The hospital just called asking for more. We also give to the unwed places. So I hope this helps. There are places right where you live I'm sure that would love to have them.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:52 AM

I agree with others here - I can remember a time when I thought everything my mother did was nuts, but as I get older I realize I am my mother - Maybe she will learn to appreciate the artistry - If not there are others out there who do and would love to have your quilts.
Old 10-06-2010, 04:01 AM

I know what you mean. My daughter is the same way. We're just from another generation. When I started quilting with Kaffe Fassett fabrics and other brighter and louder prints, my daughter now loves my quilts and takes them to college with her. I don't know if this will be a fad or these quilts will be "in" 20 years from now. I think that she now has a new appreciation of the more subtle quilts.