Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-06-2010, 05:55 AM

If it's makes you happy....continue on! But as for charity, there are lots of hospital with needs for children's quilt in the cancer ward or even "for our soldier" or nursing homes. They really brighten up their days and are appreiiative of the gifts. I. too, love to quilt (still newbie at it) but im not going to give it up on someone else's attitude over it. Please keep it up and show us some of your quilts? Maybe you can sell some to us even?
Old 10-06-2010, 06:01 AM

I don't think you are being selfish at all. I believe everybody should have a passion and at least it's productive! I think it would be great to donate, wish I had time to make some to donate!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:11 AM

I think you need to widen your circle and surround yourself with some other quilters. How about a quilting guild or a small group of your own? They along with this board should supply mountains of encouragement and assurance about quilting. A quilt quild will supply friends, support, encouragement, places to donate much desired quilts, education and sharing....I wish for you, more friends and a lifetime of doing what gives you pleasure....quilting!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:13 AM

I know there are already many suggestions on here but I must say that I agree that unless this is keeping your from your family, putting you in debt or something like this then daughter just does not get it.
There are many children in the hospitals with serious and terminal diseases that would love a quilt to hold on to. I have seen little ones on dialysis and suffering from cancer and their families would appreciate someone caring enough to donate a quilt for their child to stay warm. I pray that your daughter someday finds a passion in life and then she will understand.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:14 AM

I don't think you are being selfish. My Mom (also my best friend) feels the same way about my crafting/quilting addictions. She doesn't understand that there are two sides to this need. One side is the joy I get from giving something that I handcrafted to someone as a gift. The entire time I work on the project, I think of them. I know that everything good that I am is poured into the creation of this quilt or afghan. I also know that this gift is special and not mass manufactured. The other side is that I am happy when I craft. It makes me feel better about myself. It also allows me to create something beautiful and useful. It also has helped my mind. Because I craft, I think more creatively and quickly. Sorry to go on so long, the bottom line is, the cost is worth it. Hang onto the quilt, there is someone who will need comfort at some time in the future. When you find that person, even if you did not make that quilt for them, it will seem as if you did. God will direct you because he made you a quilter.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:17 AM

AMEN!! to all of the above advice. DO NOT STOP QUILTING. Think of how many folks you can warm up! Quilts & quilting never go out of use. I think it's the grandest hobby ever.
I belong to several groups. We make lap quitls for nursing homes, mental institutions, crisis pregnancy centers, and Ronald McDonald house. I even gave one made as a prayer quilt to a friend who lost her husband and several to grieving families. I prayed for them as I constructed it. I told them that when they wrap up in it to imagine God hugging them. It's such a comfort! It's one thing I can do without even leaving home (except to go buy fabric - it's a dirty job but someone has to do it.haha)
Old 10-06-2010, 06:18 AM
PJO

There are tons of people who would love to have your quilts!! Contact a children's foster care agency. I was a foster child and would have loved to have had my own quilt that someone who cared had made! Quilts speak comfort and care. Ask a church Pastor - I'm sure they would know a family who would appreciate a handmade quilt or two. The possibilities of loving homes for your quilts are endless. You keep right on quilting! It is definitely not a waste of time or money!!!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:42 AM

I wouldn't worry about what anyone else thinks about my addiction to quilting. If I want to make a quilt and I don't know what to do with it when I am finished then it is up to me to what I want to do. I like making quilts. I have made several baby quilts and I still have them. I really don't know what to do with them but that didn't stop me from making them. Maybe some day someone will get one of them.

Keep doing what you want to do. If it makes you feel good to make quilts then keep on making them. There are a lot of people out there who don't appreciate anything home made.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:43 AM

I would check with your church, as so many people could
use a nice quilt. If you have that many, give them to some
needy family. In our area that has had so much flooding, lots of people lost every thing. Just think what a blessing
that would be to receive one of your many quilts. Don't ever throw a quilt away. You or your daughter can always find a person who needs it or would just appreciate the gift. Betty Lee
Old 10-06-2010, 06:45 AM

I encourage you to donate the childs quilt you are making to Quilts for Kids. When my daughter was in the hospital she was given a Noah's Ark quilt. She had it on her bed the whole time she was in the hospital. I still have the quilt and I remember how it kept her warm in the hospital. I have often wondered about the woman who made the quilt. I would love to meet her and thank her for her generosity.
I have started making Raggedy Ann and Raggedy Andy quilts for Quilts for Kids. I hope my quilts will warm a child in the hospital. I am sure some mother will thank you for the quilt her child receives.
Also keep quilting. There doesn't have to be a purpose. I have given away every quilt I have made. The joy for me is in the designing and making of the quilt. Life is short. If it makes you happy, then do it!