Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-06-2010, 07:30 AM

My advice is forge ahead. Frankly, no matter how close the relationship, there are things better left unsaid and those remarks qualify in my book. Just because she doesn't "get it" doesn't mean there aren't others who do. If you are experiencing self doubts about their worth, then join a guild and enhance your craft till you have no self doubts. Just don't put yourself down!!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:33 AM

You love what you are doing, it is something you get a great deal of joy doing, they are all pretty when finished, there are people in this world who would love having something so lovely made by a person who puts her love into making a quilt. If someone "doesn't get it" thats OK too. It's not necessary for someone else to understand what you do, why you do it, and how much you love doing it. If you are not neglecting your health, home and security it's not you with a problem. I don't know what my two children will do with all of my hand made items, and thats not my worry, I have enjoyed my entire life making something that gave me joy. Maybe your daughter needs to find something to keep her busy not the other way around. I find my children think they know so much better than I what is good for me, but ultimately these choices are mine alone. Love your daughter, let her know you love her and then ask her to help you make a few rounds and give some of these lovely quilts to people who might need to feel your love as well. Quilts are made with love and are meant to be shared with family, friends and those who need to feel our love as well. Lastly, finish your baby quilt and I am sure God will place someone in your path who will need this quilt and will appreciate all the time and effort you will have put into it. I wish you nothing but the very best as you continue painting your life's canvas with lovely quilts.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:37 AM

By the time I got to this thread there were already 9 pages full of very good advise. So I can't add any more, but I'm running out of people to give to as well, but I do not intend to stop quilting. I love it, there are people who are so much better at it, but it gives me great pleasure, and if my family doesn't want my quilts after I'm gone. I won't know about it anyway. Non-quilters may not understand how we feel about quilting. So just keep on quilting.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:38 AM

Our church participates in a national quilt ministry called "Prayers and Squares" which has chapters just about everywhere. These quilting groups are always in need of volunteer quilters. The quilts are distributed to people of all ages and religions who need and agree to accept prayers and comfort from our congregation. Downy Touch of Comfort Quilts for Kids is another worthy project and they will even supply the kit for you to sew. There are many battered women's shelters that would also be happy to distribute quilts to their residents who usually come to them with very few comforts of home. However, if you just want to quilt for the love of quilting with no particular plans for the quilts you make, that's OK too. Your daughter will eventually understand and appreciate your need to quilt especially if you explain to her why it is important to you.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:38 AM

Quilt because you love it! You don't have to agree with your daughter all the time. If your afraid of what will happen to your quilts look for recipents for them now. Local women's shelters, hospitals, nursing homes--I once heard of a habitat for humanity group that likes to give everyone in the family a quilt to start out in there new home. There are many places your quilts would be well received. Our local Riley hospital for children give a blanket/quilt to each patient-Keep on quilting! Enjoy!
Old 10-06-2010, 07:39 AM

keep on doing what you like. i have a son & daughter. i was showing off one of my BOM quilts to them and the son said 'i'd put it on e-bay'. my dtr would keep it for ever. who do you think i'll leave it to? also my two granddaughters (hers) are always fussing at me to quit giving my quilts away & save 'em for them. different strokes for different folks. one thing: maybe you need to cut back on the expensive mat'l & then give all your quilts away to charities, etc. most people don't know the difference between expensive/non-expensive material.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:43 AM

Keep doing what you love:) There are a lot of great suggestions to your dilemma that the ladies have come up with. Donating to non-profits or having a quilt sale are wonerful ideas. There are many people out there who appreciate quilts. There can never be too many quilts in the world :P
Old 10-06-2010, 07:45 AM

There are some who think reading a book is a waste of time, or collecting things that only give you pleasure. My DD thinks I have too many books and things I made from hobbies and says right out, she don't know what she will do to get rid of them. Too bad. I love every scrap of fabric, every bare piece of china that never got painted and every book I own but getting rid of it will be her problem. I plan to keep on doing what I like to do, keeps me alive and kicking.
No grandchildren, nieces, nephews, good friends or a church to give them to? Keep your eyes and ears open, there are many who will cherish your work, don't quit now and do stop feeling bad about your work. You earned the money and you can spend it, that is what I tell my family, live with it.

Carol J.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:03 AM

To each his/her own...I don't get football, but look at all of the time, energy, and certainly big bucks some pay for that!!!
Life is short...do what you enjoy now, and let others worry what to do with the quilts you don't have anyone to give them to when you're gone...perhaps by that time your daughter will have a change of heart or maybe even be bitten by the quilting bug herself...Naomi :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 10-06-2010, 08:09 AM

Sorry your daughter feels that way. You donate the quilts all or part to hospital especially to children. They always lot a quilt to hold on too. I have 10 grandchildren and am always quilting and they all want my quilts. In fact I made 10 quilt tops just for them and they could not be prouder. They range from age 12 to 1 1/2 and even my children love them and in-laws. By all means they are not perfect and most are made, 99%, made from scraps. They are all very proud of them. Pick up your heart and know that there are people would love to have them. How about the nursing home? I know people would love them especially since you made them from your heart. Hang in there.