Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP and Encouragement >

HELP and Encouragement

HELP and Encouragement

Old 10-06-2010, 01:55 PM
np3
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
First of all please explain to your DD and BFF that it brings you pleasure and therefore is not a waste of time. If she still doesn't get it, maybe explain in terms of food. We prefer to eat stuff that we like the flavor of. Otherwise we would just eat for only sustenance. Does this make sense? If eating certain things simply bring us pleasure as well as nutrition, well then, why aren't we all eating gruel with tofu (or something equally void of flavor but nutritious) for every meal? If a thing brings us pleasure or a measure of happiness it is NOT, IMHO a waste of time (nor money).

Quilting is my passion as well and I would not give it up because someone, even someone I loved dearly, thought it was a waste of time and money. Something that brings pleasure, contentment, a sense of self worth and accomplishment does indeed have value and is not a waste of time.

As far as there being a "glut" of quilts in the charity market, I sincerely doubt this. There are calls everywhere for quilt donations. Quilts for Kids, Quilts of Valor, our very own Green Fairy collects quilts every year for orphans in Romania and all it takes is a look at her blog to see how much they are needed and appreciated. Homeless shelters, Churches, Guilds, Women's shelters and countless other organizations can all attest to there being a need. You can also give quilts to friends.
I have lots of quilts, quilting projects and a very large stash. I am still buying more. I have gifted all of my family members and every baby I ever knew about. I still have more. Some who have received quilts have loved them, others think it is just another coverlet. Not everyone "gets it" But I won't stop doing what I love. There is and always will be a market for our quilts, whether we sell them or gift them. Give your daughter a kiss on the top of her head and send her home. Then write a letter directing what you want done with your stash and quilts after you are gone, seal it in an envelope and enjoy your work. There have been many precious threads on this Board from quilters who have been blessed by someone who has passed away that they didn't even know. Hugs to you....now go quilt something!
Old 10-06-2010, 02:01 PM

I have tons of quilts. I just love to sew, pick out the colors, patterns, piece and quilt. It is my favorite thing to do. I give very few away. I chose what I like to do and I keep them because I love them. I do sew for charity, but when I start I know that the quilt will be going there and don't hold on. I'm not sure how old your daughter is, but as she gets older she will probably appreciate them more. Usually grandchildren will love anything you make. Find a quilt Guild. They all know someone who needs quilts. But maybe you need them more. Just love them.
Verna in So Cal
Old 10-06-2010, 02:22 PM

I also have to say I agree, youir daughter just doesn't "get it" although I understand where you are both comming from.

I make and give most of mine away. Because I love quilting I make small quilts and donate them to charity organizations and in recent times I decided to make a larger quilt and have donated this to be used as a raffle prize to raise money for the cancer association.

I make them because I love doing so. While I haven't found the need to do so at this time I would try selling them for a reasonable price to cover the cost of materials if I thought it was becoming an issue having them piling up in my store room.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:30 PM

Jfowles,
I give away most of my quilts to 2 local charities and I still get to make quilts. With my guild there is "Baby Bundles" , those quilts go to the county health department and they give them to poor women who complete prenatal care and parenting classes after the baby is born.
"The Linus Connection" is the other one, all of the quilts stay in
central Texas and go to in-need children.
http://www.linusconnection.org/
Old 10-06-2010, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou
You could donate them to a hospice. They always appreciate quilts and the family has something to remember their loved one with.
the hospice my grandmother was in gave her a quilt when she was admitted.. it was a very simple 4 patch, but it rich colors. who ever made it, had used machine embroidery to put something (can't remember the exact words) about each stitch holding a prayer for her.

when she passed away, my aunt got that quilt. she also has take great comfort from it... i made 4 (so far) and mailed them in grammy's memory.. so you can always find someone who needs the comfort that a quilt keeps on giving.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:41 PM

I would donate the childs quilt to Quilts For Kids. They are very sicl kids in the hospital that would love your quilts. Go to www.Quiltsforkids.org.

I know what you mean about the love of quilting, I', the same way. I buy fabric just because I like it. Quilting for the kids gives me pleasure as well as doing what I love. The foundation supplies the fabric...pre cut as well! All you do is give of your time and supply the batting.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:57 PM

U could donate ur quilts to different groups to auction off or raffle...u could just give to women who have lost their children or husbands in some tradgety. u could just go to the library, pick out a deserving person and just offer them a quilt....don't stop making them, they r such incredable gifts. for those who make them and those who get them!!!! that is pretty cool stuff! and u r pretty cool too! don't forget that. plus, keep ur daughter out of ur sewing room :) outa site, outa mind.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:59 PM

Are you kidding!!! Do you know how many kids or seniors that would love to recieve a quilt. Why not donate your works of art to your local hospitals or seniors homes. Then you can pass down the most precious thing you enjoy doing.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:36 PM

Your might remind your DD/BFF that quilting keeps you "young" ... studies show that keeping active keeps the mind alert and less apt to get dimentia (sp?). Quilting requires thought, concentration, math, money calculations, artistic talents, reading & decifering patterns, it keeps your hands busy with something that you love. Don't stop! If money is a concern keep your receips for supplies and then use that as a tax deduction when you donate a quilt to a cause.
Old 10-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Banned

You have a gift to quilt, and weather it is for family friends or donations, you were giving that gift, I don't agree with your daughter at all, and you are not selfish, I was given a quilt as a birthday gift from a member of this board, this is my first quilt and I will cherish it for the rest of my life. so you continue making your quilts and donate them if you have to, but do it with the joy that someone even a stranger will love and cherish your gift. God bless. Penny