Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP, Everything is RED >

HELP, Everything is RED

HELP, Everything is RED

Old 12-10-2013, 07:07 PM
Power Poster

I was told by a professional fabric dyer to use Synthrapol to remove excess dye from fabrics and leave Retayne on the shelf.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:46 PM

Don't trash the fabric another person may be delighted to have it and we have the free stuff on this board. Sorry you had a disaster. If you really want to trash this PM me and I can take it off your hands.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:28 AM
Power Poster

synthropol keeps fugitive dyes from settling on surrounding fabrics- keeps the dye suspended in the water- so if you have a 'bleeder' the dye stays in the water & does not get on the other fabrics in the wash- *good thing to have on hand* since retayne helps set dyes it will help all of the fabrics in the wash to hold onto any dye in the water. 2 different products of 2 different scenarios (setting dye or washing away excess dye)
Old 12-11-2013, 06:03 AM

not sure how to solve your problem but I would definately notify the store you bought the fabric from and let them know how much it bled. They may not be aware of the bleeding issue. Then they should let other cstomers know about the bleeding issue.
Old 12-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Power Poster

Just for the future, When washing fabrics that you think will run, soak a corner of each fabric first in a bowl of hot, hot, hot water. Some fabric will surprise you and not bleed dye into the water, so wash but don't teat that fabric. Fabric that bleeds - wash with treatment. fabrics that bleed a lot - treat separately or don't use.

This is exactly why I always test my fabrics before any mishaps can happen. We all put so much effort into creating our quilts so taking care to insure the best results is a simple thing.
peace
Old 12-13-2013, 04:29 PM

Synthrapol is a surfactant and so is dawn dish washing detergent but only the blue variety. It may be worth trying that as it is readily available and inexpensive. Learned about this in a dying class on Craftsy.
Old 12-13-2013, 07:40 PM

Kept reading about everyone's success with Retayne, soooooo, I gave it another shot. I had about 2 oz. of Retayne left so I just dumped it all in and sent it thru another wash. It finally worked! No more red. I am one happy camper.
Old 12-14-2013, 08:09 AM
Power Poster

So glad to know it was successful for you. Some fabrics just have so much dye in them it can take several attempts to tame the dye.
peace
Old 12-14-2013, 08:37 AM

why not experiment and try to use the fabric and the bleeding to your advantage? pair it with a white or other light fabric - make a simple star or other design ensuring that the lighter fabric is in pieces large enough to show "dye creep", then wash to see what turns out....might be something really cool. local shop owner had it happen to her by accident- the dye seeped into the adjacent white fabric and made the most wonderful shading. If you're adventurous, it may be worth the time.

Originally Posted by Twisted Quilter View Post
UPDATE

Just ran across the red fabric from 2012 that bled all over, even after about 6 washings. Really hated to throw it out because it was a such gorgeous red so, I decided to try it again,TWICE! Yep, still bleeds. It's going in the trash tomorrow.