Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Help...feet won't move and bobbin doesn't turn

Ok, I did it now. Was work on my DD blues quilt, and all of a sudden the machine starting knocking, and then she justed stopped, now the pressure feet won't come up or move, and then bobbin doesn't turn. Any suggestions, I have removed bobbin and casing, cleaned and changed the needle, still nothing????

Is everything frozen in place, or can you move the wheel manually? What kind of a machine are you using?

I really can't help other than to say......sorry, and you sure there is nothing caught in the feet somewhere under the plate? Turn the wheel back and forth while watching what is going on....

Blog Entries
    If its a FW you have thread behind the bobbin casing. If its not a FW??????

Quote Originally Posted by walen
    Is everything frozen in place, or can you move the wheel manually? What kind of a machine are you using?
    Singer 7469Q:

Needle goes up and down, acts normal except it will not pick up bobbin thread and the bobbin doesn't spin as required. I have checked to make sure I have it switched up drom FMQ mode, so the pressure feet sould come up, but don't. And there is nothing (at least that I can find) under the bobbin, bobbin casing, and I have also checked in the trap door to see if anything is hung up there, still nothing.

Did you set the tension back to what it was before you were FMQ? Because when I FMQ I set tension to ZERO.

yep tried that also.....worse yet the machine is less than 9 months old....so frustrated.

Hmmm... don't know what it could be then....hopefully someone will come along here that maybe has had this problem to help you out....Sorry I couldn't help more.

Is everything oiled?

I bought a sewing machine at a yard sale, and nothing would turn. I oiled it really good, and works like a dream now.

Banned
    Sounds like it jumped time and then stripped some gears. I hope not but anytime a machine makes all that kind of racket its never good.

Billy

Call the 800 number for Kenmore! I had trouble on a new one 2wks and the drop feed, wouldn't work and I talked to them, then they wanted me to bring back and have it checked out! It was going to take 2wk. I brought back and then went and bought a machine, where they service and help with any problems! Babylock, and love it!

I agree. Sorry, if this is it, it is expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Sounds like it jumped time and then stripped some gears. I hope not but anytime a machine makes all that kind of racket its never good.

Billy

Have you completely rethreaded both top and bobbin thread?

Ouch so sorry I can't help.

Check to be sure that you haven't inadvertently bumped whatever device (lever, button, etc.) you have to set the bobbin winder.

In my experience, my usually made funny noise - I just rethread the top thread - usually it works. If not, I would call the shop where you bought the machine - they probably know exactly what to do. Good luck...

Banned
    Okay silly question.....have you taken the bottom off of the machine so you can see in there? If the bobbin is not doing its thing then you might can see whats happening with it by just turning the handwheel and looking at what is and isnt moving. If you can find it you might could order the parts for it and fix it yourself.

If it were mine that sucker would be apart and me seeing what makes it tick.

Billy

Blog Entries
    9 months old...I would be calling the company.

Blog Entries
    Please post the solution you find. If you have to take it to a repairman, then don't leave without a full explanation of what caused the problem and what was done to correct it.

Check to make sure that what holds the bobbin is seated correctly. When I was cleaning out my machine, I didn't get it in exactly and the machine didn't want to do anything either. Thought I had it in right though. Mine has a little arrow to line up to make sure its in right.

sounds like the timing and alot of the newer machines have plastic gears
    you can strip them rather easily and costly to repair- and not covered under warranty because they are a wear part!
    ask me how I know!
    Hope yours is a simpler fix.

Did you check to be sure the feet are lint free?

After sewing too many denim quilts, I had problems Cleaned everything (I thought), re-threaded and still nothing.

DUH- there was so much lint caught in the feed dogs that it was like pulling out FELT from between them. They were so bound up, they couldn't move, so nothing else could, either.

AHHH. Now it works smoothly.

Susan

I had the same problem and fix with my machine. How embarrassing! But it runs like a dream now. It's the machine I sew everything together on. My quilting machine is still sick.
    Immeme

Okay silly question.....have you taken the bottom off of the machine so you can see in there? If the bobbin is not doing its thing then you might can see whats happening with it by just turning the handwheel and looking at what is and isnt moving. If you can find it you might could order the parts for it and fix it yourself.

Billy
    Yep went through the trap door on the bottom, nothing there, it seems the silly plastic gears are not moving the feet. I can move the plastic gears (with my screwdriver) and it will move the feet, but won't move when I turn the hand wheel. It won't even pull up the bobbin thread when I turn the hand wheel. I have throughly checked everywhere for lint, string, fuzz you name it, and nothing. Called Singer...and they needed me to send them proof of purchase, and serial number before they would send me a list of authorized service centers in my area, even though I registered it when I purchased it. Also I will have to pay shipping to service center, they pay the return shipping. She told me 100% of labor and parts are covered in the first year (we'll see). Went to my local repair center-it's $80 just to look at it, they aren't an authorized center, so am waiting to get a response from the Warranty center.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pstoner

Billy
    Yep went through the trap door on the bottom, nothing there, it seems the silly plastic gears are not moving the feet. I can move the plastic gears (with my screwdriver) and it will move the feet, but won't move when I turn the hand wheel. It won't even pull up the bobbin thread when I turn the hand wheel. I have throughly checked everywhere for lint, string, fuzz you name it, and nothing. Called Singer...and they needed me to send them proof of purchase, and serial number before they would send me a list of authorized service centers in my area, even though I registered it when I purchased it. Also I will have to pay shipping to service center, they pay the return shipping. She told me 100% of labor and parts are covered in the first year (we'll see). Went to my local repair center-it's $80 just to look at it, they aren't an authorized center, so am waiting to get a response from the Warranty center.
    It sounds like the linkage or a gear is stripped on the top side where everything ties into each other. Lets hope they will fix it and you wont have to worry with it anymore.

Billy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast