Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help!  how do I work this fabric into a quilt design? >

help! how do I work this fabric into a quilt design?

help! how do I work this fabric into a quilt design?

Old 10-08-2009, 10:25 AM

I just saw your piggy fabric, made me smile, used to hand raise orphan pigs when we lived in the country. A great way to show off a large section of print would be to make "Flip A Coin", a pattern I saw on a Fons and Porter show. You cut the focus fabric anywhere from 7 to 10 inch wide strips and as long as you want the quilt, say you choose 9 inch wide strip of focus fabric and 80" long to leave room for a border, on either side of that strip goes a striped coordinating fabric, 3 inches wide, on either side of the striped fabric go a strip of the "coins", solids and/or prints that catch a color in the focus fabric or could be scrappy. They cut them about 2 inches long and 3 1/2 wide. Just pick the sizes that suit you. You just repeat this unit til your quilt is as wide as needed. You could use piggies again in the border.
Hope I have explained it well enough to make you "see" it. Looks really simple, I plan to use a gorgeous large floral I discovered to make this quilt, would work for any fabric you want to be the main event!
Old 10-21-2009, 03:57 AM

OK, this is really late but....what about the bars idea, but instead of having a top and bottom cross piece with the vertical bars in the middle (which sort of looks like a jail cell), use your bars to make the outline of a pig pen enclosure, with horizontal bars stitched over the pigs to hold down the fabric, the pigs over the top could be individually stitched. This descrption is not working, I wish I could just draw it for you. The "pigs over the top" would be the pigs in the enclosure that you view over the top rail of the pen. Does that make sense? You could add a barn in the background, or some 'state-fair' idea.