Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help.....how do make "thick" quilt >

Help.....how do make "thick" quilt

Help.....how do make "thick" quilt

Old 06-30-2012, 04:30 PM

some quilters here got rolls and rolls of upholstery batting from a business that was throwing it away. it is a thicker batting and certainly gave the quilts a puffiness. perhaps this is an option for you.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:04 AM

I would just use the thick batting and tie it I think!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:06 AM

She wouldn't be talking about a duvet cover, by any chance? If so, you could buy a down-filled duvet (expect to pay big bucks) and make a slip-on cover for it.
Old 07-01-2012, 04:57 AM

Green Heron - What a great idea! This sounds like the way to go.

Last edited by canuckninepatch; 07-01-2012 at 05:02 AM. Reason: wanted to include poster's name
Old 07-01-2012, 05:19 AM

when I did my son's quilt, he also wanted a "puffy" feel like a comforter. I talked to the LA quilter and she recommended a polyester high loft batting (which she supplied so don't know manufacturer name). I had her quilt sparingly so the quilt would puff up. It turned out great! It's the quilt in my avatar.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:31 AM

My daughter requested a thicker and heavier quilt that would not slid off the bed, so I used two quilters dream batts and tied it. That quilt was so heavy to move around when I was tying it, but she loves it. Still, it is not as thick as the comforter your daughter has in mind.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cylithria View Post
For a similair request from my "neice", I used an extremely thin, featherweight batting and instead of making a completed quilt, I actually made the lightweight quilt into a Duvet Cover. (The backing of the quilt top becomes the fabric pocket for the duvet.) Quilted, Super "thick" once the Quilted Duvet Cover was in place on her duvet, and smiles for all.

Good luck with whatever you work out. I'm sure your daughter will love it.

I have done this for a down comforter...it is great...they still get a SUMMER quilt!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by Greenheron View Post
H-m-m-m-m. I recently wanted to make a quilt like your daughter requested--I used a thrift store comfort for the filling and tied the layers with buttons and perle cotton. The comfort was already stitched so the tying was as much decorative as useful. Yes, it's a comforter but with a pieced top.

If you want the quilted look, layer your top with a thin batt and backing and quilt the three layers. Use the resulting quilt as the top layer of an "envelope" or casing with your choice of an additional backing. You would only need to bind one edge--the other three would be sewn to the second back, right sides together and the result turned right-side-out. Insert a comfort. Button or velcro or tie closed. So easy to wash if the comfort is removable. With the batt and lining, the comfort shouldn't show through. Voila! A nice, thick quilt of the kind your daughter desires.
This is very good thinking on both methods!! It's like having a duvet with texture that doesn't shift and twist. Love it!
Old 07-01-2012, 07:01 AM

Is she wanting it thick for the warm or the look , cause we all know thats quilts are very nice and warm
mary
Old 07-01-2012, 09:37 AM

I tried doubling hi-loft poly batting on a quilt once but never again. I couldn't get the frame to hold it very well since it was so thick. I have the pvc frame, works well with every thing else. well, you see I'm very new to quilting! I tied it and it was still hard for me. good luck with yours.