Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I can't wear a thimble! >

Help! I can't wear a thimble!

Help! I can't wear a thimble!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:27 PM

I couldn't use one before I started quilting. Now it is out of self-defense, and aching fingers that I started wearing one. I found that most of them were simply too big and kept falling off. When I got one small enough so that it didn't just fall off, then I could wear one.

My fingers are very average sized. I'm not sure why they make the thimbles around here so big. I have about three that I can use and am afraid of losing them. One has been kind of shaped into an oblong shape. That makes it stay on better.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:06 PM

You have my sympathy.....I too, am thimble challenged. :shock:
Old 12-06-2010, 10:53 PM

My mother always had problems with thimbles until (at a quilt show!) she found a neat open-back thimble. Maybe it was designed for someone with long fake nails, but she loves hers.

I don't know if this was the company, but hers is like these:http://www.maliasneedle.com/thimbles.htm
Old 12-06-2010, 11:27 PM

I can't wear a traditional thimble either. I have found that Japanese thimbles are the best for me. There is one that is shaped like a ring, with little indentations all over it. I can hang it on a chain around my neck when I am not using it and it fits firmly around my middle finger, between first and second knuckle. I push with the underside of the ring instead of my fingertip, whilst my fingers hold the needle. There is a leather version which has hard plastic inside it. The other one I use is a Sashiko thimble, which is also Japanese. It is also in the form of a ring, with a small disc on it that fits into my palm. Clover make all of these, so why not give them a go? With a little practice, they are easy to get used to.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by Maride
I have never been able to use one since I learned to sew at 16 uears old. I don't think I will ever learn to use one.
Same here.....sewing off and on since 9yrs old, never could wear a thimble.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:04 AM

I use one of the rubber finger tips for paper. works great for me.
Old 12-07-2010, 03:10 AM

I started sewing for my dolls when I was 8 or 9 and just couldn't manage with a thimble. My mother urged me to keep trying and over the years I finally got used to wearing one. I think a big part of the problem was the fit. My hands were always smaller than mother's so her's just didn't work for me. Now I keep several thimbles around in different styles and sizes because my hands can be 'fussy.' Sometimes they're swollen and when I'm a little cold they're smaller. Sometimes they just don't want to work at all, but I don't have a thimble for that!!:)
Old 12-07-2010, 04:18 AM

I cant wear a thimble either, but I do love whats called an 'under thimble'. Its a small metal dot that sticks to your finger,,, meant to be used on the hand that is under the quilt. I use it on both hands and it stays on very well! LOVE IT!
Old 12-07-2010, 05:00 AM

i learned to sew w/ a thimble & now can't sew w/o one, but istarted having acrillic[sp] put on my nails& they grow too long[i'mlazy about going in to have them re-done lol]antway i found the leather ones w/ the ends open & they really work great!
dar
Old 12-07-2010, 05:02 AM

I thought I was the only one who could not wear a thimble. I found a small thimble dot that sticks (with a little dot of tape) onto your finger. Could not live without that. It's great.

Lynn