Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP--I have crooked pre-cut jelly rolls! >

HELP--I have crooked pre-cut jelly rolls!

HELP--I have crooked pre-cut jelly rolls!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
If you are cutting the strips into pieces, you should be able to get away with it. If you are piecing the full width of the strip, it will be more of an issue. You can always fudge the seam allowance a little if necessary. Works for me.
I agree it depends on how you are cutting the strips up. If you are sewing any type of tube quilt where you sew all the strips together it won't work but if you are subcutting the strips into squares you can avoid the wonky areas. however I would contact the manufacturer of the fabric and see if the are willing to replace or send you new strips
Old 04-06-2013, 06:53 PM

This happened to me when I purchased 2 Jelly Rolls from a Joann's. Started to sew them together - not a good idea!! I then called the Joann's where I purchased them and spoke to the manager. He told me to bring them in, even the ones sewn together. They gave me all my money back - even the yardage that I had purchased to match. Can't hurt to try!!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:28 AM

Contact the Manufacturer, they will more than likely replace them. I have had replacements before.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:26 AM

Hi quilters,
Recently i have had an interesting event, I do not purchase pr-cut strips because they are rarely straight, so I purchased 1/2 yard pieces to cut into 2in. strips, proceeded to wash and iron getting ready to cut. Guess what all of the pieces of fabric were off, some of them as much as 6 in, I spent a good deal of money to make this quilt and ended up with a LOT of fabric that was unusable, Joann's said there was nothing they could do about it as it was cut straight off of the bolt.It is my beleif that when the fabric was wound on the smaller bolts it was stretched out of shape.JMHO
Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 AM

I also do not but jelly rolls anymore, out of 5 only one was usable as 2 1/2 in strips. Cheaper to buy yardage and cut my own.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:52 AM

I agree with those that don't use precuts anymore. As easy as it seems you don't get the yardage/condition as you would if you cut it yourself. It seems that half of the charms aren't 5"X5" nor are the Layer cakes exact. Disappointing I know because cutting isn't my favorite thing to do...
Old 04-08-2013, 10:05 AM

See if this helps you any.
http://www.bearpawproductions.com/us...May%20Vary.pdf