Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I Have A Snag! >

Help! I Have A Snag!

Help! I Have A Snag!

Old 06-18-2011, 07:20 AM
elm

Is there any leftover bug fabric? If there is you could scatter a few bugs to cover this snag and a few more elsewhere for balance and interest.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:23 AM

i use a teeny steel crochet hook. i have one that is needle fine (i love garage sales!) and i put it through from the wrong side of the fabric-snag the "snag" with the hook, and ease it back through. then i work the edges with my fingernail to blend the visible pull in the fabric. you have to be careful, but with a little counter pull, and a soft touch, you can often blend it or "feather" it so it's not as noticeable.

good luck!
Old 06-18-2011, 08:54 AM

A tiny crochet hook should be part of everyone's quilt tools. Poke it thruough from the back side and capture the snag thread pull gently to the back. Work the fabric gently by pulling it to the left and right of the snag. Some of the thread should go back in. Unnoticeable...Yes.
Old 06-18-2011, 09:31 AM

ps 150....where do you find those neat pins????
Old 06-18-2011, 12:50 PM

Buy a knit picker from Clotilde. Slide it in from the back, pull the snag to the back and then quilt over the snag. It shouldn't be noticeable then.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:00 PM

you can buy "snag catchers" at the LQS or Joann's. They are like your seam ripper but instead of having a sharp point they have a little hook with a clasp. You can go from the front near the snag or back and pust it thru the hole where the snag is. Then you catch the snag in the hook close the clasp and gently pull the snag back thru. You might even be able to move the bump with it if the bump is not attached to the fabric. I would agree with doing a small applique as has been suggested. It is a way of "making the quilt her own".
Old 06-18-2011, 01:01 PM

Knit picker. That is what I was talking about and couldn't think of the name. Thanks.

Originally Posted by carolynjo
Buy a knit picker from Clotilde. Slide it in from the back, pull the snag to the back and then quilt over the snag. It shouldn't be noticeable then.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Marty K
ps 150....where do you find those neat pins????
I bought some pins at Joann's (NOT the quilter ones but the pack of 200 that's on the notions wall-they're the same thing but priced so differently). I bought the 1 1/2" size. Then, I went to Ebay and bought the safety pin covers. Using tweezers, they snap right in. They're really great because it's easier to see them when I'm quilting so I don't get my foot caught on them as I'm free motion quilting. Here's a link to a seller that has them now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Safety-Pin-Grip-...item53e7607fc8
Old 06-18-2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
Originally Posted by Kas
My mom used to take a needle and thread without a knot and come through the back. Then she would put the needle through the loop made by the snag and then put the needle back through the same hole in the fabric she pushed it up through. Then holding the loose end of the thread and the needle in one hand she would pull the snag back through. Then you should be able to quilt over it.
That would take care of the loop on top of the fabric but there's a snag line in the fabric. It's pretty noticeable in person but this picture kind of dulls the snag. It looks more like a manufacturing error than a human error. There's a hard, raised bump on the fabric that you can kind of see in the picture. That's what I'm trying to cover up. She had the thought that if I did some kind of quilting, then it would cover it up.
Sometimes a bit of thread gets caught in the weaving during the manufacturing process. If that happened, try cutting the "Tail of thread off closely" and stitch a line of quilting stitches right over the worst "bump" to distract the eyes of the viewer. It is about all you can do....
Old 06-18-2011, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ps 150
Originally Posted by Kas
My mom used to take a needle and thread without a knot and come through the back. Then she would put the needle through the loop made by the snag and then put the needle back through the same hole in the fabric she pushed it up through. Then holding the loose end of the thread and the needle in one hand she would pull the snag back through. Then you should be able to quilt over it.
That would take care of the loop on top of the fabric but there's a snag line in the fabric. It's pretty noticeable in person but this picture kind of dulls the snag. It looks more like a manufacturing error than a human error. There's a hard, raised bump on the fabric that you can kind of see in the picture. That's what I'm trying to cover up. She had the thought that if I did some kind of quilting, then it would cover it up.
Sometimes a bit of thread gets caught in the weaving during the manufacturing process. If that happened, try cutting the "Tail of thread off closely" and stitch a line of quilting stitches right over the worst "bump" to distract the eyes of the viewer. It is about all you can do....