Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HELP - I know I have seen this before >

HELP - I know I have seen this before

HELP - I know I have seen this before

Old 12-18-2011, 08:52 AM

Default HELP - I know I have seen this before

I know I have seen this topic before, but I'm not sure it was in the context that I need. I just watched a video on FMQ where the stitcher started with several stitches in place then cut the threads. When FMQing on a quilt that will be washed a lot would you do this?

I am about to start on a Quilt for Kids that will be washed almost daily and I want it to hold up. So what would you do?
Old 12-18-2011, 09:09 AM
KR

When FMQing quilting I will start by bringing the bobbin thread to the top. Then do a couple of forward and back stitches, very small, in place before stitching the design. I usually bury my thread ends rather than cutting them off, too, figuring whatever I can do to secure the starts and stops will help hold them in place through washings.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:12 AM

It depends on your machine, mine knots at the start and end if I push the right button so I can cut it off close. If I do not have that machine I go forward and backward a couple of tiny stitches and then trim the thread.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:27 AM
Power Poster

I'm like you Sunnie ... I don't quite trust the Lock Stitch on my machine. Yes it's supposed to be enough, buttttttt!

For now, I've been doing like KR, bringing the bobbin thread up, do a lock stitch at the start and then later, take them to the backside, tie the tails together a couple of times and bury. Whether it's right or wrong, I'll be following this thread to see what I can do better!
Old 12-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Power Poster

I bring up my threads when I start and stop. It knot them in a square knot and use my self threading hand needle to bury the ends in the quilt. I bought my needles from Walmart at about $3.50 for 6? They are the ones that the thread snaps into the top by pulling the thread down. I just like the look and want my stitching ends secured well.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I bring up my threads when I start and stop. It knot them in a square knot and use my self threading hand needle to bury the ends in the quilt. I bought my needles from Walmart at about $3.50 for 6? They are the ones that the thread snaps into the top by pulling the thread down. I just like the look and want my stitching ends secured well.
That's exactly what I just did on the bed runner I finished yesterday. But I wonder how well that will hold through multiple (almost daily) washings.
Old 12-18-2011, 10:28 AM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

I do sometimes lock stitch on wall hangings, but bring up the threads, knot and bury the ends on bed or lap quilts. In either case, I bring the bobbin thread to the top, just to keep it neat.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:14 PM

I would bring the bobbin thread to the top, tie the bobbin thread and the needle thread into a square knot and then thread both threads into a hand sewing needle and bury the threads into the quilt. Tying the square knot and burying the thread would be easiest after the fmq was done. I don't think there is any stronger way to do it.
Old 12-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I just using the self-threading needles for the first time this weekend. I was finding at times that trying to snap the thread into the head, it was breaking/tearing off. Is there any secret to this not happening? Or perhaps the brand?

In general I really liked them, just this little frustration ... so if anyone has any hints, I'd appreciate them. Thanks!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:23 AM

I would do as others suggest and bury those stitches, its more secure. On quilts that arent going to be used as much I use the locking stitch but for what your quilt will be doing I wouldnt suggest it.