Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I Really screwed up.... >

Help! I Really screwed up....

Help! I Really screwed up....

Old 08-19-2014, 10:37 PM

Would nail varnish remover have to be normal or acrylic type? I'm great at getting permanent marks in wrong places.
Ideas here are wonderful
Old 08-20-2014, 04:13 AM

I know haw bad you feel especially since it is another person's quilt! If you can get matching fabric to replace that piece or block I would do that and not risk further damage. So sorry this happened to you.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:13 AM
Power Poster

Fit Vegetable Wash took red Sharpie marks off a bed sheet, pillow case, and toddler skin for me.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:23 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Fit Vegetable Wash took red Sharpie marks off toddler skin for me.
I am sure it was not amusing at the time but the mental picture I got of this situation just made me giggle.

OP I can't imagine how awful you must feel about this. I know I would be freaking out big time. If you have to replace the 3" square I recommend appliqueing over it rather then trying to rip and re-piece it in. I had a client quilt where my timing went off on my machine, the needle broke then before I could stop the machine the broken needle came down on the quilt and made a hole. I got another scrap of the fabric from my client and appliqued the patch right over the existing patch. No one can find it.

In the future I would not use press 'n seal and never ever sharpie. Press 'n seal and sharpie can also transfer the ink into your thread and the press 'n seal is a real pain to pick out between stitches. also I have heard internet tales of it gumming up machine works. I would use tracing paper and a water soluble marker instead. Or invest in some golden threads paper which you can also mark with water soluble marker should the worst happen.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:47 AM

Melaluca "SoluMel" takes out permanent marker. I actually grabbed a permanent marker thinking it was my blue marking pencil it worked. Good Luck You can google Melaluca and maybe find a dealer by you
Old 08-20-2014, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

OH dear, being disable I try to stay away from glue and markers because I would screw up in very little time! I would just replace the square and call it a good lesson learn. I feel your pain. She will probably never know. We will ALL keep your secret. So easy to make a mistake on other people's quilts.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:07 AM
Power Poster

Here is my test strip on pale yellow fabric. I tried Purel, peroxide, nail polish remover, hairspray, goo gone and magic eraser. Purel-no. Nail polish remover seems to spread it but I would be afraid to use it on a quilt. Goo gone-no. Magic Eraser-no.
I had the best results with a cap of hair spray and Q-tips but that was with the fabric on a solid surface and after drying the fabric is stiff. The area would need to be washed and depending on the quilt backing, the hair spray might take the colour out? Wish I had better news!
Old 08-20-2014, 05:07 AM

I was told Lestoil works on anything including lifting stains on clothing that have gone through the dryer?
Old 08-20-2014, 05:08 AM
Power Poster

Opps forgot the picture
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 08-20-2014, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by eyes View Post
I was told Lestoil works on anything including lifting stains on clothing that have gone through the dryer?
Hmmm. I need to remember this one.