Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help, I volunteered but don't have a good idea. >

Help, I volunteered but don't have a good idea.

Help, I volunteered but don't have a good idea.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lyncat
My 98 year old grandfather recently passed away, and I asked my aunt for all of his shirts, thinking it would be nice to make keepsakes for all the relatives. So now I have a bag of shirts sitting in my sewing room, but I don't really have any good ideas about what to make out of them. Does anyone have suggestions, keeping in mind that I teach school and don't have unlimited time. Thanks!
I think it depends on how many people you are going to make something for. When my Grandfather passed away, I made lap quilts, 17 to be exact. I made a dresden plate quilt for my Grandmother from his ties. From the shirts, I made 9 patches with store bought solid colours in between, and 4 of them I did 9 patch and appliqued teddy bears made from his housecoat on it because I was running out of shirt material. It doen't have to be stressful, just have fun with it...they will appreciate and cherish your thoughtfullness.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:34 AM

You didn't say how many people you would like to share with. If there are a bunch, how about something small like criss cross coasters.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:57 AM

Great Ideas!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Old 11-03-2010, 02:36 AM

Check out Bonnie Hunter's www.quiltville.com or her book "Scraps and Shirttails" for ideas. Depends on how big you want the items to be!
Old 11-03-2010, 04:26 AM

My 90 year old uncle died a year ago, my cousin asked my daughter to make throws of his shirts. She made 8 of them. If you would like to see pictures of them, reach me on the private message link. Most were plaids and one had Hawaiian birds. She used her embroidery machine to make memory blocks, a B 24 bomber like he flew in WWII, a cross because he was very religious, a music note because he was a solo singer and a Cessna small plane like he owned at one time. Brought tears to our eyes and his family is so happy to have him near. His widow got a pillow and I have the rest of the shirt fabric and I should make her a throw now.

Carol J.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lyncat
My 98 year old grandfather recently passed away, and I asked my aunt for all of his shirts, thinking it would be nice to make keepsakes for all the relatives. So now I have a bag of shirts sitting in my sewing room, but I don't really have any good ideas about what to make out of them. Does anyone have suggestions, keeping in mind that I teach school and don't have unlimited time. Thanks!
A friend of mine had a quilt made from her husbands flannel shirts. It is a strippy quilt of flying geese in one strip and a coordinating color in the next strip. The flying geese triangles were the flannel shirt pieces. It's very masculine looking - just like her husband would have liked.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by AtHomeSewing
When our daughter left for college, I made her a pillow made from one of her dad's shirts. It was a big hit. It was like these at this link:

http://www.countryliving.com/crafts/...e-pillows-0909
I love this idea. wish I had known about htis earlier
Old 11-03-2010, 08:53 AM

Are there a lot of plaids?
One of the gentlemen on this board (either Eddie or Mike, I think) posted a pic of a quilt that had a lot of plaids in it.
Rail fence or Warm Wishes might also work well.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:13 AM

http://www.etsy.com/listing/36912380...lt-mens-shirts

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&expIds=17259,25907,26637,26640,26667,27087,27218,27357&sugexp=ldymls&xhr=t&q=men%27s+shirt+memory+quilts&cp=5&client=firefox-a&hs=Q42&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wf

I found these pictures in my word search.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:13 AM

A friend of mine used her late husbands shirts to make quilt for her three grown children. She used square, about 5 inches. Worked out great. If you have a lot to make, either make a throw pillow or a lap quilt. I am sure all would be appreciated. Your Grandfather had a long life, good for you to keep his memory going.