Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! I'm going batty over batting! >

Help! I'm going batty over batting!

Help! I'm going batty over batting!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:22 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
If I pre-washed the batting, it wouldn't give me the "old-fashioned" look, I so dearly love! BTW, I also wash my undies!
If you are referring to the look of quilts made from leftovers and do-overs from way back when, most of the components of those quilts had been washed almost to death - and the fillings were probably selvaged sheets or blankets - also washed to almost to death - and the finished quilts were tied. And there probably was little or no crinkle/pucker left to happen from shrinkage.

But if you like crinkled/puckered - go for it!
Old 09-25-2012, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
If you are referring to the look of quilts made from leftovers and do-overs from way back when, most of the components of those quilts had been washed almost to death - and the fillings were probably selvaged sheets or blankets - also washed to almost to death - and the finished quilts were tied. And there probably was little or no crinkle/pucker left to happen from shrinkage.

But if you like crinkled/puckered - go for it!
I was referring to the old-fashioned quilts, with which I grew up. They were made by my grandmother. They were made from worn clothing, had cotton batting (I've seen it, through worn spots), and were hand-quilted . . . and yes, they were slightly puckered, from the batting shrinking.

Last edited by Neesie; 09-25-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

I was referring to my grandma's quilts - which used old sheets, etc. for filling.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:19 PM

Hi! Update: I went ahead and got one Hobbs 80/20 batt and one PolyDown batt. I also found two small pieces I'd layered 2-3 years ago when I took a free motion class. One has W&N in it and the other has a very thin poly batt in it. The W&N one is "quilted" pretty densely and feels pretty stiff. I didn't practice much after that and the samples are very primitive! But I'll wash them this week and see how they come out. I'm thinking at this point that I'll use a new poly batt, maybe!! I have two, one is a Poly-fil by Fairfield and the other is by Create-a-Craft, both low loft- 1/4", inexpensive/cheap ones I think I got at Hobby Lobby several years ago. I may wait to see what the two Hobbs are like when they come. If the W&N sample is stiff after wash/dry, poly does seem best for the baby quilt. I really appreciate all the input here and will push on to do this quilt and get braver! Will report when finished!! Thanks again!
Old 09-26-2012, 04:07 AM

You sound like you need to relax and enjoy the process. Just quilt it, forget pre washing, it takes all the fun out of it, worrying so.
LOL
Old 09-26-2012, 04:58 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I think only washing the outer fabrics and not the batting is a bit like washing only one's outer clothing and not washing one's underwear.

But to each his/her own way of doing (or not doing) things.
Since I wash all my quilts when they are finished the batting gets washed too. Yes, I wash my underwear AFTER I wear them.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Pollytink View Post
Hi! Update: I went ahead and got one Hobbs 80/20 batt and one PolyDown batt. I also found two small pieces I'd layered 2-3 years ago when I took a free motion class. One has W&N in it and the other has a very thin poly batt in it. The W&N one is "quilted" pretty densely and feels pretty stiff. I didn't practice much after that and the samples are very primitive! But I'll wash them this week and see how they come out. I'm thinking at this point that I'll use a new poly batt, maybe!! I have two, one is a Poly-fil by Fairfield and the other is by Create-a-Craft, both low loft- 1/4", inexpensive/cheap ones I think I got at Hobby Lobby several years ago. I may wait to see what the two Hobbs are like when they come. If the W&N sample is stiff after wash/dry, poly does seem best for the baby quilt. I really appreciate all the input here and will push on to do this quilt and get braver! Will report when finished!! Thanks again!
Wouldn't the dense quilting make a quilt stiffer?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
Just my opinion, Hobbs 80/20 or a polly batting generally have a nicer feel for baby quilts then Warm and Natural, heavy and stiff. I often do use it because I have it on hand but I always regret it after wards. I don't prewash batting. Life is too short for that. I do wash quilts after I make them or tell new parents to wash it in their favorite detergent before giving it to the baby. I love the puckered look quilts get after washing so I was on warm and dry the quilt really well in the dryer.
I recently started using Hobbs 80/20 for baby quilts - I like the little added puffiness it gives. Nevertheless, still use Warm and Natural for everything else - love how it machine quilts and don't find it too stiff. Guess we're lucky to have so many battings available - something for everyone.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:54 PM

I must be a control freak. I pre-shrink cotton battings, because I don't want any surprises. I don't care for the crinkled look. I know that quilts have 3 dimensions, but I work hard to keep things smooth, and I want to keep the smoothness as much as possible.

And, yes, I do pre-wash the fabric, as I have mentioned ad nauseum on the threads about bleeding!

Dayle
Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 PM

Washing the batting doesn't shrink the batting, it the heat of the dryer. If you don't want the crinkly effect, soak the batting in hot water, spin dry, and the place in dryer. I would not agitate the batting. In my experience, you can only tell if batting shrinks when the quilting is heavy and the top and backing haven't been pre-washed.

the quilts where I pre-washed the top and backing have very little evidence of batting shrinkages unless I stipple closely.