Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help< im into shotguns not sewing machines >

Help< im into shotguns not sewing machines

Help< im into shotguns not sewing machines

Old 09-03-2007, 04:57 AM
Boo

Shaggy, another thought, do you have any idea of the price of sewing machines? A basic machine can start from 300-400 while a computerized machine can cost as much a $6,000. The prices in between will depend on the brand and capabilities of the machine. I high suggest that you actually go to a dealer or two and educate yourself a bit on what is available. My personal recommendation would be Janome. That is the brand I have and am very happy with. Each of us has our own idea what makes a good machine. Some have combo embroidery/sewing machines. Obviously, those cost a bit more. Some of us are happy with basic machines, yet still require certain functions not available on all machines. For example, needle down feature, multiple needle positioning, and free arm are what I wanted.
Concider what you can afford, and offer her the chance to pick a machine in your price range. I am sure this seems quite complicated, as each of us have different ideas on what is a good machine and what is our dream machine. Sewing machines are not a one size fits all sort of thing. :lol:
Old 09-03-2007, 05:01 AM

Hey Shaggy,
Do the gift certificate, there are machines and there are MACHINES. Do the search here for machines, call around your area, get the highest price on the machine that will do all that your wife enjoys then take her and gift certificate to try the machine of her dreams and buy it. She will appreciate you so much you might get your own quilt for snuggling!

You ARE a keeper and to think you even looked us up to ask, that's going the extra mile!! You might learn to quilt with her, there are several of the 'guys' that share the joy with us.

Quilting together keeps a family together! There! Made up my own slogan.

Sharon
Old 09-04-2007, 09:32 AM

One year my husband bought "me" a shotgun, and I bought "him" a painting. That method works well, too.

One hitch, though, you will need to make sure she uses it on a machine instead of something the kids need or want - we have a tendacy of doing that.

I found a Brother embroidery/sewing machine in Wal Mart in Deming, New Mexico that was about $400 less than what exactly the same machine in San Antonio, Texas. This is what I use for quilting and general sewing. So, you might check around for your pricing.

You are a keeper! It's really sweet that you want to do this for her.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by mimisharon
Hey Shaggy,
Do the gift certificate, there are machines and there are MACHINES. Do the search here for machines, call around your area, get the highest price on the machine that will do all that your wife enjoys then take her and gift certificate to try the machine of her dreams and buy it. She will appreciate you so much you might get your own quilt for snuggling!

Sharon
I think he already got the quilt for snuggling, unless she is a Corn Huskers fan herself! LOL

Anyway, I agree that taking her to pick out the machine she likes is the safest way to go, but if Shaggy is an attentive husband, he can probably guess what she's going to be happy with, and maybe take it up a notch!
Hint, hint. :lol:
Old 09-04-2007, 12:50 PM

Aren't great husbands a wonderful thing!!!! Much luck with your endeavor, I'm voting for the take her with you kinda surprise. Get a sitter, take her for lunch, and over dessert say..."Honey, lets go get ya something great! and head for the local shop and have a ball! She does beautiful work and sure deserves a beautiful machine to help her efforts. You're a wonderful husband for noticing that!!
Old 09-04-2007, 02:32 PM

WOW, THANK YOU. You guys are great. I would like to show her this site but I think I better wait a while. This has been a great help!!

Thanks again, I will stay in touch.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:13 PM

My DH bought my sewing/embroidery machine for me for Christmas last year, but that's what I had hinted at forever!
It's a Brother SE270D, and I'm not so happy with it right at the moment.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:32 PM

If I may ask...why aren't you happy with the Brother SE270D right now...I've been considering getting another Brother. Mine, I've had for aroud 20 yrs or so, has sadly decided to die. It was a horrible, screeching death just a few weeks ago. One of the reasons I'm still in the planning stage of my quilting process. (Not to mention I'm quickly running out of time to finish this years Halloween costumes!! I may have to go borrow my mother's!!)
Old 11-07-2007, 05:36 PM

I was wondering how the shopping went?
Old 11-08-2007, 07:58 AM

Shaggy, Yes indeed, you are a keeper! I would let her pick her own machine. You could scout out the shops that sell in your price range and then let her pick. If there is more than one shop, I would encourage her to chose a shop that offers lots of after-purchase support and classes. A good machine will last a long time and she should be able to depend on the shop to keep her machine running. Also I think a little time spent in the shop for the old machine might be called for. She might want to pass it down to your daughter for her "first" machine. Good Luck. You're sweet to notice. Virginia