Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! I'm at my wit's end!

I also use a spray bottle because my expensive Rowenta leaks and spits like you can not believe. Wouldn't buy another one for an amount of money. I keep thinking why won't this one just quit so I can buy a $20 iron that I can use steam in.
    Lorraine

I also have a cheap wal-mart iron that I think is a black and decker. I use distilled water as my water is very hard, and I've had this iron about 3 years. When it breaks, throw it away and get another cheapie. I lvoe the look of the Rowenta and other expensive irons but they just aren't reliable so I'll keep my money to spend on fabric.

I bought a Black & Decker travel iron years ago. It's small, light weight and gets really good and hot. I use it every day. I have also left it on over night several times. Great little iron that has served me well.

I recently had to replace my cheapy WM iron. I bought a Shark Professional at WM for about $30 and it steams like crazy. I don't care if it only lasts one year, I'd buy another in a hot minute. This iron has made my life easier.
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kayluvs2quilt View Post
    I bought a really cheap one and did not put any water in it.....so far that has lasted longer than my previous irons. I now use a spray bottle of water or Mary Ellen's Best Press when I press my blocks/seams. (Love Best Press!!!)
    This has been my solution, as well. If you DO put water in it, use distilled water. I collect rain water and filter it thru a coffee filter, store in plastic bottles and use sparingly.

I have two irons....one expensive one that I use for irong clothes and one cheap one that I use in my sewing room. The cheap one is GREAT, but I only use distilled water in it. It automatically shuts off after a period of time, but again, it wakes up when I move it, and it reheats very quickly. Go for the cheap, especially if you're dealing with the power issue and invest in a surge protector. Good luck!
    Linda

Blog Entries
    I have had the same Black and Decker iron for 15 years. I use steam sometimes, and then use only distilled water. Turn it off when not in use. Good luck at finding one that works for you.

Blog Entries
    I get about 2 years out of mine and I get one that isn't too heavy. Right now I have a Shark.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

I have had my Rowenta iron for 4 years with no problems. You have to read the directions for your iron they are not all the same, the Rowents says to NOT us disilled water as it will cause the iron to spit and leak. It says to use inexpensive botled spring water if you have hard water in your area other wise you can use plain old tap water.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I had been having the same thing happen. Now I purchase the cheapest iron I can find. I no longer use water in the irons, I use a spritz bottle for the water if I want steam. And I also use a surge protector when they are plugged in. They seem to be lasting longer. Good luck with whatever you try.

Blog Entries
    Mine is a BERNINA iron from about 20 years ago and works perfectly, every day, but as my hands age I am thinking of using my travel/class iron instead.....have always had iron pluged into surge protecter, have always used bottled spring water.

love best press but it is too expensive so have used the 'receipe' from this board to refill the best press bottle.....this bottle has the best sprayer.
    Last edited by SunlitenSmiles; 04-18-2012 at 03:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
    I agree. I have a Black and Decker that I've had for a number of years that I paid $30 for at Walmart. It doesn't leak, is on for hours nearly every day. Doesn't spit and holds a lot of water. I like it a lot.
    Ditto. I've tried fancy, expensive irons & just wasn't happy with them. So I get a cheapie & replace as needed. Works like a charm for me.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    When my home burnt to the ground someone gave me a used GE steam iron...that was in 94... still using it !!!

Blog Entries
    It's been so interesting reading the comments. I have a Rowenta and have been happy with it until last month. After 3-4 yrs of use, it has now started to spit and leak. It does that for several minutes then seems to work fine. If I don't use the steam, it doesn't get hot enough (at least to me). Bottom line after reading all the comments, when this one quits, I'll be off to Target or Walmart for my next iron and it won't be $$

Quote Originally Posted by kayluvs2quilt View Post
    I bought a really cheap one and did not put any water in it.....so far that has lasted longer than my previous irons. I now use a spray bottle of water or Mary Ellen's Best Press when I press my blocks/seams. (Love Best Press!!!)
    I do the same thing. I also use a small travel iron from target cause it does not shut off. I have used it for years now and it stays on all the time. good luck!
    Linda

I also have Black and Decker that I have had for years, still going strong.

Blog Entries
    The surge protector sounds like a good idea. It will protect the electronics in any iron that has newer features like auto shut-off. I have surge protectors on my sewing machines...way less expensive than new ones.

I had a T-Fal iron with a non stick plate, 59.99, lasted three years, died last week, bought a 29.99 Shark....hate it!

Judy try the Dry Iron from Vermont Country Store. No water used, $30, and they stand behind their product.
    www.vermontcountrystore.com - search dry iron

Also agree with the surge protector idea - power flucuations can play games with appliances.

Along this line with irons, I made a jacket and lined the front with interfacing to give it more body. Well, now that I have worn the jacket and washed it ( I made it to be washable0) The interfacing has separated from the fabric and leaves bubbles on the outside. Any idea of how to press it so it will stick?

I agree -- I have a very inexpensive Procter Silex and it has lasted forever -- not an issue if it dies because it didn't cost a fortune.

Blog Entries
    I buy one at walmart that is lightweight and dont use water if need it use a spray bottle

I use nursery water in cheap iron and so far so good....2+ yrs. I usually just finger press or if I'm doing a mega session I will plug in my little clover thingy....and just use the iron for the completed block or if it's a place where lots of seams "meet"........but I seriously think, like everything else, irons are not made to last...another throwaway thing.

Blog Entries
    I get the best results with the 20 ones. I just got a Sunbeam from Big Lots for 20 and I've had good luck with the Black and Decker ones. I like the ones with the auto-shutoff as long as it's easy to get to come back on; the Sunbeam is like that you just shake it to get it to instantly reheat. I had one that would shut off after only about 5min and that wasn't good. I like the ones that automatically lifts it self up but cost a fortune and I've heard people have problems with them and I've heard a lot of problems with Rowenta so I wouldn't recommend them. Mine is light weight weight so you shouldn't have any problems.
    Judy

I've had several Rowentas. And while I like the weight and the pointed end, they all ended up leaking water like crazy . Now I get whatever's on sale and uses it till something happens, and haven't invested much.
    Last edited by quiltmom04; 04-18-2012 at 06:22 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast