Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Help! I'm at my wit's end!

I found a ton of irons at my trip to two goodwills last weekend. I bought a really nice Rowenta for $5 but they had all kinds. I'm still thinking of going back for the vintage one with cloth wrapped cord. It was in its box and I bet it would work great. So my suggestion is 2nd hand store, so when they go out its no big deal.

Blog Entries
    I have 2 oldies but goodies circa 1950's that I love but they seem to be putting on weight so while out browsing the 2nd hand stores I found a lighter iron -2$- brand new in the unopened box called "Perfection"and it is -perfect...it is lighter but it still has enough wgt to remove wrinkles without wearing me out first.I figured it came from Wally World -the old neighborhood had more WW's than churches.

I also have a hard time with heavy irons because of arthritis. Never thought of buying a dry iron and spraying with water or Best Press. Thanks for the suggestion. After all, our moms (if you're old enough) never had steam irons.

I also use distilled water and haven't had the problems that I had using from the faucet. My have lasted alot longer and that is if I don't bounce off the board to the floor (done that a couple of times). I have purchased one for $9.00 about 12 years ago from Lowes' and then the last one from Walmart for about $30 about 2 years ago. Use one for classes (always packed and ready to go) and the WM one at home. But my main thing is to use Distilled Water.

Quote Originally Posted by husker67 View Post
    I feel for you. I've gone through 3 or 4 in the last 10 years (different brands). As a teen when I ironed in the 60s mom always put distilled water in it. I don't remember it 'spitting' like they do now, but my mom used to put vinegar inside to get the gunk out. I bought a Rowenta a couple of months back (never had one before). I now use no water in it but just use the Best Press. I personally find the iron saga very frustrating...
    "We can never have too much fabric" and "May the Fabric Fairy always keep your stash filled".

Robinlee

I use an old Black and Decker too.

I have the same problem with toasters.
    Can't find a good one that actually toasts rather than turn it a pale tan

·What does a clock do when it's hungry? It goes back four seconds.

I use a Black & Decker Classic iron.
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    Irons - can't live without one, can't find one to last!

Since I have been quilting, I go through an iron in less than a year, usually 8 to 10 months. Tried many different brands but nothing seems to last. Is it the reduced quality of irons, or is it because when you quilt, they are on for hours at a time. And I quilt almost every day.

Any suggestions? Don't suggest Rowenta -- they are too heavy for my poor arthritic hands! Thanks for any help you can share with me.
    Have you tried irons for Goodwill or some other thrift store? One of our church irons is from a rummage sale. Works quite well.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

What is "the receipe".......I too find that best press is too expensive to use? Thanks for sharing!

I put surge protectors on all my outlets. Living in an apt. bldg., we have frequent slight surges. They're horrible on anything plugged in to wall outlets. Now I had to replace 2 surge protectors in last 5 years - no appliances were damaged. Just make sure you don't turn off the surge protector's button. That disables the protection-not the electricity.
    I suggest you get a cheap iron and plug it into the surge protector. It might last longer and be safer too. Good luck!

I love the "dry iron" I bought from the Vermont Country Store. It cost about $30, has no holes in the sole plate, and works beautifully for fusible applique. Good luck with your search!

Quote Originally Posted by paintmejudy View Post
    Irons - can't live without one, can't find one to last!

Since I have been quilting, I go through an iron in less than a year, usually 8 to 10 months. Tried many different brands but nothing seems to last. Is it the reduced quality of irons, or is it because when you quilt, they are on for hours at a time. And I quilt almost every day.

Any suggestions? Don't suggest Rowenta -- they are too heavy for my poor arthritic hands! Thanks for any help you can share with me.
    Go to the Dollar Store that way they won't cost very much.

I've had my trusted GE iron for well over 20 yrs now and I will definitely be an unhappy camper when it bites the dust..... From what I have heard, like most appliances these days, they just don't make them like they used to!!
    Diane
    If you want to make God laugh, just tell him your plans......

Blog Entries
    I have a Sunbeam that my DH bought for $1 at an auction that does wonders. Has a nice cord length that allows for pressing large sizes. This particular one does not do steam, but I'm ok with that. I have others for steam if I want it.

The next best iron is a Black and Decker that is small in size, does steam well, is moderately heavy was cheap $$ and still goes like a champ. I travel with it to workshops and vacations. It just didn't have the automatic shut off. Now I'm glad it doesn't as I hated the one that did. Kept turning off if not moved in 15 minutes.

Because I have left an iron on when I didn't intend to, I now have my iron plugged into its own power strip surge protector with a light bulb plugged into the power strip also. Now if the light is on, so is the iron. I haven't left it plugged in since this set up my DH came up with. Has to be safer too. It really is hard to miss the light bulb glowing on the floor!!
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

I have a Sunbeam that's over 15 years old and gets used a lot. The only thing I don't like about it is that it has an automatic shut off, which bugs me. On the other hand, it heats up very fast, so I don't have to wait if I've been sewing and then have to press something and it's shut off in the meantime. I don't honestly know what I'll replace it with, so I just keep it. I also have my grandmother's flat iron, no steam, very heavy, no auto anything, still in great shape. I just use a spritzer when I want steam. When I do a lot of back and forth to the iron, I use that. It was built in the 1940's. I'm sure I'll never find another iron that will last that long!
    MacThayer

I don't know if someone has mentioned an Oreck, but I have had one for approx. 8 years. It turns off automatically after a time of non-use, and I really like that! I don't have to worry about unplugging it.
    Kathy P

I have two "cheap" irons from Wal*Mart and have had no problems. Have had them for about a year.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

Blog Entries
    Try the Press 'n Sew by rowenta - lightweight enough for my rotor cuff issue it has a black coated bottom. I have had it for years, don't know if they still make it. The trick is to unplug it after each use, even it you are doing sew then iron. I use a surge protector by my foot, so I just click on the little red light and shut it off. It doesn't have auto off, so I just bought a black & decker that does and the bottom drags on the fabric and makes those crunchy wrinkles on the small pieces. It is okay on the larger ones, but life is too short for me to deal with it. It is in the donation pile for the women's shelter (unknown locations). I make scrap quilts and tie them in all sizes and donate for them too.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Blog Entries
    I have a Rowenta that I paid $129 for. I used to love it. I have had it about 1 1/2 years and it leaks like a sieve. Every time you tip it to iron water pours out of the back of it. It leaves a huge wet spot on the ironing board. I emailed the company and they told me I am SOL. I will never, ever buy another Rowenta. My sister is having the same problem. I am going to try taking it to Bed, Bath and Beyond where I bought it and see if they can do anything.

I bought a Rowenta Powerglide 2 about 11 years ago. It's still going strong. They don't make this model anymore, but it doesn't automatically shut off. A couple years ago I bought a Rowenta Focus, thinking my Powerglide 2 will probably be dying soon. Then last year after having issues with tendonitis in my thumbs, I bought a Rowenta Travel Iron. I use the Travel Iron all the time for pressing seams while piecing. It's smaller size and less weight is much easier for me to use. I only use it dry. Even though the instructions for my Powerglide 2 said to use tap water, I've always used a half/half blend of my well water and distilled water. Maybe it's my combination of water that has kept it going for so many years, who knows? I certainly don't clean it as often as they suggested. This is just my two cents. I know others who've had nothing but problems w/ Rowenta.

paintmejudy, this has nothing to do with your question about irons.... I LOVE your avatar!!! What is the name of the pattern? I would love to make that!

I got my last one in a thrift shop. I never put water in any of my irons but I like this one because it stays hot and doesn't turn itself off. I gave $4.00 for it.

I have come to the conclusion that as much as I sew; an iron from my local second hand shop does me just fine.I had the same problem with them not lasting very long and decided I wasn't going to keep throwing alot of money away in the trash .So now i go to the local thrift shop and pick one up and use it until it dies and I've usually only spend $5-10 on one.Get more bang for my bucks that way!!
    The man who speaks the truth is always at ease

Blog Entries
    Hi ya, what about the travel Rowenta? Lighter weight than the traditional.........and beware does get so very hot..........would be good for seams in piecing but hot really big enough for pressing a quilt top..........calla who's sewing buddy and pal moved to Laveen...............poop

i also have had several rowentas and none of them seem to last..i went to target and grabbed a 25 dollar black and decker, and i love it it has great steam.. and it stays on eight min. before it automaticly shuts off gives you more time to go cut or sew then come back to iron again good luck!

I buy mine at Walmart and they last for years , also i think i paid around 15.00 or less

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast