Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Help! I'm at my wit's end!

[QUOTE=paintmejudy;5146748]Irons - can't live without one, can't find one to last!

Since I have been quilting, I go through an iron in less than a year, usually 8 to 10 months. Tried many different brands but nothing seems to last. Is it the reduced quality of irons, or is it because when you quilt, they are on for hours at a time. And I quilt almost every day.

Judy...I'm with you! I am in my sewing room 8-10 almost every day. I have tried all kinds of irons through the years, from expensive to inexpensive. The only thing I look for is an iron with NO automatic shut off...drives me nuts! None of mine last any longer...doesn't matter how expensive or not. I have come to the conclusion to just stick to the inexpensive ones as long as there's no shut off. Currently, I am using one that I got at a yardsale last year (paid $3.00). So far it's lasted 9 months now & knock on wood, is still going strong.

I have bought electric knife, mixer and crock pot (probably from the 70's) at resale shops and they work so much better. Probably and iron would, too.

I won't recommend Rowenta--I've had 2 and they aren't worth the money. I now have a Reliable but that would be too heavy for you. I have a cheaper Hamilton Beach that I revert to all the time. I'd like an Olisio but again it is heavier to pick up.

I have tried numerous irons too & am now using a travel iron, Black & Decker I think, that we have had for years, & never used when we did travel, lol. I use it dry, although it has a small water tank for steam. If I wanted water I spray my fabric & iron dry. Love it, best iron I have tried using for quilting! Tried a small one, designed for quilters, but the cord you plug into the iron keeps falling out, so I seldom use it now. I like this one & just unplug it when I am not using it.
    Nancy/NC...
    "Because Nice Matters"
    "Choose To Be Happy"

My first Rowenta stopped getting hot and the 2nd one started to spew and spit after 6 months (I found out I was not the only one having this problem). I used the recommended water the entire time and still had the problem. I have not had that problem with the Reliable but I still like my Hamilton Beach.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4