Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Help Im tired >
  • Help Im tired

• Help Im tired

Old 04-05-2010, 05:39 PM

Not affiliated, but there is a wonderful book, PERFECT PIECING Rodale's Successful Quilting Library that will help you. Published by Rodale Press, Inc. Emmaus, Pennsylvania.ISBN 0-87596-760-4. Try Amazon.com or BarnesandNoble.com using the ISBN No. and maybe you can find one used.
    A variation for clarity from their instructions. When you need to match the short side of a right triangle to the edge of a square or rectangle, you'll notice that the triangle edge is longer than that of the square. For 1/4" seam, align the pieces so the edges match. The tips of the triangle will extend beyond the corners of the square. Pin the two patches together. The triangle should intersect the square exactly 1/4 inch from the side of the square. In other words, the square and the triangle points should meet at the stitching line, leaving the points of the triangle "sticking out" After stitching and pressing the seam to one side, trim off the extending triangle points to reduce bulk in the finished quilt.
    Old 04-05-2010, 06:05 PM

OMG I feel your pain. I have had that happen several times and it is very very frustrating. My immediate thought is "What did I do wrong" but many times its not something I did wrong. Before this past christmas I was making a christmas tree skirt for my sister in law - my mom found me a wonderful pattern on the internet, printed it out and even cut the templates for me. I went out and took hours picking just the right fabrics. It was put together in three sections, inner piece of the pie, middle and outer section then you put the pieces of pie together to make the circle. Well, when I went to put the 3 sections together (with curves) there was no way they were going together. I quadruple checked the pieces to mae sure they matched the templates. After wracking our brains we went back to the pattern. It turns out, the pieces in the middle and outter section were scaled to fit on an 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of paper and it was not obvious on the pattern that had been done. I had to put the whole thing away I was so frustrated. Here is a picture - it would have been a gorgeous tree skirt too.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-45874.jpe  
    Old 04-05-2010, 06:08 PM

Correction - sorry, the center (inner) section was scaled significantly to fit on the paper. The other sections were scaled also, just not as severely.
    Old 04-05-2010, 08:05 PM

This is the most amazing site - everyone is SO HELPFUL! So glad I found it :-)
    Old 04-05-2010, 08:56 PM

As watterstide said, it appears your're trying to do your spools the same way that Quilterscache has the block drawn out...no wonder you're having trouble...Mitered corners and Y seams, while not impossible, are usually attempted after a person has become familiar with doing simpler techniques...or maybe using paper piecing technique as another poster suggested. If you use the concept of the 9 patch to make your block (video on watterstide post) you'll find it goes together much more easily. Don't get discouraged, we all have had event's like yours but not all of us are able to ask for help like you have.
    Old 04-05-2010, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
    Personally, I would do it paper pieced, it's a very simple block to do that way.
    This is the block I used for practicing paperpiecing. I would give paper piecing a try.
    Old 04-06-2010, 04:09 AM
    Power Poster

It is a good idea to make a sample block first out of scraps, you can cut, recut or whatever to work out problems to make it fit and look as it should. If you can't work it to look as it should, use your fabric for an easier pattern. Maybe after more experience you can try it again. Quilting is suppose to be fun and dealing with a difficult pattern is not fun.
    Old 04-06-2010, 05:36 AM

Thanks to all with your help. I love this pattern and Im going to perfect it, if it kills me. When (if) I get it done I will post the end results. No one hold there breath for this, I dont want anyone passing out from the time frame. Thanks again.....
    Old 04-06-2010, 07:53 AM

I've read all the helpful suggestions...thought I'd add mine. I would strongly suggest you spray starch the fabrics and press before you cut them out! It appears from your picture that some stretching may have occurred.
    This will help keep the pieces more stable while you are working with them...Good luck!!

Ditter
    Old 04-06-2010, 08:29 AM

I do spray starch all my fabric. Im just not good at seams that meet. Im very depressed about this, but I will keep trying.