Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help--Info Needed >

Help--Info Needed

Help--Info Needed

Old 07-06-2011, 07:26 PM

Does anyone on the average know how much quilting room there is on a short arm machine and frame? My husband bought me one several years ago. I was so excited about getting it I didn't notice there was only 3 1/2" of room to quilt. I was so disappointed I haven't even finished the practice piece I started on it. Thanks for your imput.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by joycet
Does anyone on the average know how much quilting room there is on a short arm machine and frame? My husband bought me one several years ago. I was so excited about getting it I didn't notice there was only 3 1/2" of room to quilt. I was so disappointed I haven't even finished the practice piece I started on it. Thanks for your imput.
I have what is considered a mid-arm, I have 6.5 inches of quilting space. It's fine for free motion, most pantos, and small blocks, but if I have a quilt with larger blocks that I don't want to FMQ, then I have to send it out or barter with my quilty friends.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:11 AM

you can always unpin it, reverse it, repin it and complete it away from you. it's a very decent start-up size and with the extra effort, can be used forever if it's wide enough. the price is certainly right.

btw, this sounds like a dealer, but i don't know if it matters. ask them what happens if you run into problems once they're not there. can they help you with some kind of support? also, where is your nearest repair place? what if you don't like it once you try it? to give you 7 hours of their time (driving, lessons and set-up) and then have you say no won't make them happy. as a second owner, do you get tech-service from the manufacturer?
i know it's exciting, but be cynical.

EDIT: i had a brother SL1600 with a 9" throat. when i got to the bottom of a queen, i had a very tight 5" for quilting. you'll have more, obviously. but maybe not more than 6.5" , as was said. i ended up turning it and reversing the quilting as i explained. or you can do quilts sideways. or both.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations on a great deal!
Old 07-09-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by SUSIENC
The lady that is selling me the machine and frame are driving from Va to NC to bring it to me.It is a 2 hr drive for them.They are setting it up and operating it to show me it works.also no extra charge.I dont think i can go wrong with this deal.........I live in NC and dont know why i am always in hiding.My son is showing up to be here when they come due to being craigslist.............

I think hyou made a real deal. Too bad they won't come to Florida and do the same. But, then I would have to disassemble my sewing room or take away the second bedroom..... Just not enough room. Have fun with your new toy.... you won't be sorry!
Old 07-09-2011, 07:30 PM

I hace a bailey, love it!!! very simple to use. this is a great buy,you can see how much they are new. How long has she had the machine and does it come with the sew controll, lolli-pop, how many feet does it have with it and does it have the carriage up-grade. I hope you get this and it works as good as mine!I hace the 15 and will measure the quilting space on mine if it will help.Pm me if I can help.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by SUSIENC
The lady that is selling me the machine and frame are driving from Va to NC to bring it to me.It is a 2 hr drive for them.They are setting it up and operating it to show me it works.also no extra charge.I dont think i can go wrong with this deal.........I live in NC and dont know why i am always in hiding.My son is showing up to be here when they come due to being craigslist.............
I think that is really nice of them and a great deal as well. On your profile make sure you put where you are from. That's what I did to get Norfolk to show up. Good luck w/your purchase; I would have went with as well.