Help me decide..I'm thinking "into the rubbish bin" >

Help me decide..I'm thinking "into the rubbish bin"

Help me decide..I'm thinking "into the rubbish bin"

Old 04-28-2018, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

What is "matchsticking"?
Old 04-28-2018, 06:11 PM

Can’t tell
you how many times I have wanted to trash some quilting, but decided I had too much work into it to quit. So persevered and it wound up being great. This usually happens about halfway through. So stick with it take a day or two off then finish. Could be it will windup being one of your favorites. Best of luck.
Old 04-28-2018, 06:35 PM
Power Poster

I had problems not long ago doing straight line quilting. I didn't like the looks, so I ripped it all out and just did FMQ. I loved how it turned out. It was a donation quilt. I can't give away any quilt that doesn't look good to me.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
Part of the problem might be you are going all in one direction. Try alternating the direction one row in one direction, next row in opposite direction so you create a grid instead of just rows.
It truely looks ok - don’t toss it.
Once it is all quilted and laundered you probably won’t be able to tell there was an issue, everything will look great.
I totally agree!
Old 04-29-2018, 02:51 AM

The colors are beautiful and your piecing is very nice. I honestly think it looks lovely and would hate to see you throw it away. There are many great suggestions given, including an offer to finish the quilting. Would encourage you to keep going.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:06 AM

I agree with all suggestions here. Apparently you are sewing on the bias and that is probably where your frustration lies. Alternate directions of your stitching. But it may help to begin with some stitch in the ditch on the non-bias seams to stabilize the whole thing, then do the bias stitching. Perhaps also do it farther apart? Love your colors! Beautiful quilt.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:34 AM

I think you are being too critical on yourself. Once it is washed it will look fine. It is a very nice pattern and fabrics.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:40 AM

I agree with ckcowl, when I do grid quilting, I start at one corner and sew to the opposite diagonal corner, up one, down two, etc. I also don't really see a HUGE problem though.
Old 04-29-2018, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
I'm looking really hard and don't see much 'pull & poof'. If you want to quilt a cross hatch pattern, you will probably get the best results by quilting each section in alternating directions. So you would quilt a row from the NW (north west) to the SE then the next row would be from the SW to the NE. I would also start with the center most row, then the next rows out, each time alternating sides.
I also agree with the posters that once it's washed it will look better. If nothing else, it looks like a beautiful top, finish it & donate it if you still don't like it.
This is how I was taught to quilt, from the center out and in opposite directions. I agree that I wouldn't "overquilt" this pattern, that kinda makes the pattern disappear behind the quilt lines. Don't give up on it! Give it to a friend if you just can't bear to stick with it.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:08 AM

I only see one spot that was "off." You've had some good suggestions, so IMHO this quilt should be finished and loved. Perfection is not always possible although it is a goal. Do your best and take that knowledge to the next quilt you make. I'd like to see a full view of this one when it's done. Bet it looks good overall!