Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me find Around The Corner pattern >

Help me find Around The Corner pattern

Help me find Around The Corner pattern

Old 08-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

I love scrappy quilts! That's wonderful that you have fabrics with so many memories to work with.

This block is not an easy one. Do you plan to sew by hand or machine? Are you going to paper piece it? Or use freezer paper backing? Do you plan to rotary cut or use templates? I'm not sure whether I can be of any additional help, but if I can please let me know.

Just a suggestion - you might want to practice making the block using different methods to see what will work best for you. Good luck with the quilt.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:47 PM

dunster...I wanted you to say this was going to be a snap! You have been a big help already...would you be able to print me the directions for rotary cutting a block? That might be the answer to my prayers. Does your program tell you..."cut 4- 2" squares from fabric A, and then 8 2" triangles from fabbric B, etc...that would be nice, otherwise I am not sure of the dimensions of each of the individual parts....hmmmmm. And if it gives you yardage, I'll take it. I will go to the public library and print off whatever you post, that will be my quilt directions....I am at the cabin up North and do not have a printer attached here. Rats.

I am going to machine quilt it...that I do know. I'm not sure which would be smarter, to try paper piecing or freezer paper....templates? I have used templates on one quilt, a sampler...my first quilt, entirely hand-stitched, and my last! (hand stitched). I have used a paper pattern with directions from quilting books for the others, is that paper piecing? I have no idea what or how to do freezer paper, and can see I could read up on that before you throw your hands in the air, we beginners are rather naive sometimes...isn't it enough to say, "I love this quilt...and then struggle thru as best we can?....oh, there is a better way...how did I know that. In my retirement, I will have to take a few classes so as not to sound quite so desperate and befuddled. LOL. Hope this isn't too much trouble, dunster, I know it takes time. I will go now and check up on the freezer paper vs paper piecing dilemna.

Anybody have brilliant suggestions, I am trying to organize my thinking before tackling the actual piecing/cutting etc. Advice is welcome.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

EQ6 does print out the rotary cutting directions, with nice diagrams, but I can't quite figure out how to copy them for you, so I will repeat them this way instead. I will refer to the colors in the block I sent earlier.

For the yellow center square, cut 1 piece 2" square.
For the 4 light blue triangles, cut 1 piece 2 11/16 inches square, and then cut it on the diagonal each way.
For the 4 dark blue triangles, cut 1 piece 2 3/8 inches square, and then cut it on the diagonal each way.
For the 8 light pink triangles, cut 2 pieces 2 11/16 inches square, and then cut each on the diagonal each way.
The 4 dark pink smaller size squares are 1 9/16 inches square.
For the 8 light yellow triangles, cut 4 pieces 2 3/8 inches square and cut on the diagonal once.
Cut 4 corner squares 2" square.

Notice all the measurements that are really hard to measure accurately? That's because you're adding triangles to the sides of squares. It can be hard to get them sewn accurately.

Are you really, really sold on this particular block? I could suggest others that would look just as nice, but be much easier to put together. I wish someone else would weigh in on this - it may be that I'm just too cautious or not that good at piecing, but I would avoid having to do all those stretchy bias edges, adding triangles to squares - it makes my head hurt to think about it. If I were doing it I would definitely paper piece it.

Old 08-10-2009, 05:48 AM

dunster...firstly, thanks again. Secondly, I did go read some of the stuff about paper piecing and freezer paper and realized that I need a class in this! The freezer paper approach to applique is more up my alley but is not how you would use it on this block, more like the paper piecing? Anyhow, tho I got a bit excited about learning this technique...paper piecing, I would prefer to take my time, take a class, and maybe even do this quilt as my project....but I do see the advantage to the technique, making everything fit perfectly, especially if it has points.

I am also a bit concerned that I am working with very small pieces, for me. So...I'm getting a little nervous about doing this pattern without step by step directions, which is what I have always had...and the realization that maybe there is an easier way to get this scrappy look...but without the same amount of pain that this one might entail. LOL. What are your suggestions, as no...I am no longer bound and determined that it has to be this pattern. I am hoping you have some great ideas!

Help...newbie needs a scrappy, baby quilt....patterns to rave about? Send suggestions. Thanks for hanging in there with me, dunster.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Power Poster

I think it might be time for you to start a new thread to ask for suggestions. Most people probably read the title of this one, saw that the pattern had been identified, and no longer look at the responses. I will also send you some patterns to consider. The one I was thinking about is really pretty, but I don't have any written directions for it, so it probably wouldn't work out for you. I made a quilt from it last year, before I joined this forum, so I haven't posted it yet. There are a lot of pieces in it, but they are easier to cut and put together than the ones in your block.

You could also ask in your new thread what other people think of your around the corner block. Maybe someone knows of a good way to make it that I don't know about.

The other thing that might be most helpful to you is to go to a quilt store, or JoAnn's, even the library, somewhere with lots of quilting books to look at. Skim through until you find some scrappy quilts that really catch your eye. Look carefully at the directions and see if they are easy to follow.

I agree with you that paper piecing is best learned in a class. I learned at a LQS - their class taught the Judy Niemeyer way - and I love doing it, though I haven't done anything really difficult yet. The other thing that I was talking about with freezer paper is explained here:
http://www.geocities.com/quiltfrenzy/3dtriangle5.html
I've only used it once, but it did help put together a difficult block. It would be very time consuming using it for every patch in every block in a quilt though.

There are also some very traditional designs, like log cabin, that can be done with scraps, provided you have the light/dark mix. In fact almost any quilt can be made scrappy, whether it's shown that way or not.

These are the two blocks I was thinking about, and the pattern they make together. The two blocks are actually exactly the same, except for the direction of some of the patches.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-13706.jpe   attachment-13725.jpe   attachment-13760.jpe  
Old 08-10-2009, 11:16 AM

Gone to library to print out everything you have sent me...I need to ponder it, and will try to make a block...lets see how bad it actuallly is....light a candle for me, Dunster.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:24 PM

its me again, dunster. i have done some pondering of the Around the Corner, and am going to make up a block or two before deciding if I can do it or not....I am wondering, on your program, what kind of seams are included in the block cutting directions..., the usual 5/8 inch?????or less??? Your cutting instructions would include that, right? Or do I add this seam allowance on to each piece...it appears the seam is not included in the dimensions, and that I would have to add that onto each template/piece in the block... am I right????? Thanks dunster. I have to admit I am getting excited about the quilt... but have to make 30 placemats for a baby shower first...hate it when that happens, getting in the way of that "surge" when pondering a new project.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:55 PM
Power Poster

Standard quilting seam is always 1/4 inch, and it is included in the cutting directions. Dressmaking patterns allow 5/8 inch, but not quilting.