Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me please with the basics >

Help me please with the basics

Help me please with the basics

Old 09-06-2012, 11:04 AM
Power Poster

The important thing I have learned is to take the time to prep. Iron and starch your fabric before cutting. I starch my fabric very stiff. I cut the fabric in manageable sizes and then cut my block pieces. I don't try to cut a lot of layers at once if the pieces are small. When sewing block pieces be sure they match up perfectly, one side is not smaller the the other or crooked when laying together. Don't veer at the end of a seam.

I really like paper piecing the easy blocks. They are perfect every time. The software program Foundation Factory has all the basic blocks you can print out any size size for paper piecing. I like it better for paper piecing patterns then EQ7 (which is great) because the block patterns are all numbered and done for you. Try paper piecing the most simple of blocks and you won't get frustrated with blocks all different sizes.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:54 PM

i would look for youtube videos...i'm a visual learner and find they are a great supplement to books
Old 09-06-2012, 03:16 PM

The best advice I got when I started quilting was to start with a small project. I would tend to bite off more than a big one otherwise. I did a wall-hanging and still have it. Also, a basic book and/or class will help. Good luck. Be prepared to be addicted....
Hugs, Judy
Old 09-06-2012, 04:40 PM

If you can afford 1 book (Amazon) buy the Better Homes and Garden Complete Guide to Quilting. It is a loose leaf notebook with everything you need to know about quilting. The photos are excellent.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:26 PM

Just remember to use the same width on your stitches 1/4 inch is normal but once in a while a pattern calls for a scant 1/4 inch(this a a bit harder) make something small and simple like a 4 or 9 patch. Make sure your fabric cutting is spot on also.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 PM

This is all great advice. I hope you have access to a quilting class or u-tube or books. If not do you have a friend who quilts. Good luck and please let us know how you're doing!
Old 09-06-2012, 07:34 PM

If you have a library near you...go and take out a couple books on quilting. A good one is Weekend Quilts...these are very basic designs and well written.
It's one of the first books I bought & I still use it. Can you make the first quilt in a weekend? Probably not, but the technique is basic and I especially love the Single Irish Chain...it's a basic nine patch block, with a solid block in checkerboard pattern.

My first quilt was made with 4" squares I cut out with scissors, using a cardboard template. The fabrics were sleeves from my hubby's shirts (he does not like long sleeves even now, 44 years later, LOL)...and clothes and shirts from family. This was a simple quilt for our first child...before she was born. I sewed two squares, set it aside, sewed two more, set them aside...until I had enough to make a crib size quilt. I then took two of the sewn pairs & sewed them together...my seams didn't always match, but it went together, I put an old crib blanket in as the batting, and another crib blanket as the backing. This was all sewn together by hand. I used the binding off each blanket to bind the quilt (both were white, but didn't quite match). I tied the blanket with yarn. My Sis in Laws mom also made the same kind of quilt...but with smaller squares & only a flannel back. I loved them both, and Cori used them until the feel apart. Cori didn't have a crib after 7 mos...she rocked it to pieces...so she slept in a playpen with those two quilts, mine over the pad, and Aunt Annie's as her cover. We didn't have much money...so that was the main part of her bedding for the first two years. Friends and family donated clothes and diapers (yep, cloth diapers)...Cori came home in a little boys outfit, from her cousin Ronnie. I was just happy to have them.
I'm in the process of making quilts for my great grandbaby (due in Feb2013), and four others due from Jan-March 2013...I am also making bibs, embroidering shirts, etc. We already bought the crib for the baby...all new crib...not one from a yard sale. That to my grand daughter ws very important.

But, back to the topic...YES, you can do a quilt. Don't let anyone tell you that it has to be quilt store fabric, or perfectly sewn. You want to strive for perfection, but it's not necessary at first. It takes a lot of practice to be good.

I took one class...and it's been my saving grace many times. I had to draw my blocks out on graph paper, transfer them to template plastic, cut out the pieces and hand sew them. I learned to not sew into the seam allowances, how to match the seams, etc. The blocks I did were a nine patch, rail fence, fan, drunkard's path, pinwheel, flying geese...and all were sashed with corner stones and a border put on. I hand quilted & bound it by hand. My quilt stitches were bigger than I wanted...but that quilt, to me, was beautiful!
So, if you can, take a basic piecing class..try to find one like I took...learn the basics of hand piecing...and everything you learn in that class will work for machine piecing/quilting.

Originally Posted by farmgirl22 View Post
I am new to quilting yet, i really didnt even start yet. I need help with the basics on it. I know how to hand sew a litle its been a while though.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 PM

Things I learned the hard way. First, know what a pain it is to work with bias edges, I didn't know what bias was. Second, there is a difference between pressing and ironing. Third, all purpose thread works for piecing, but a fifty weight (finer) makes it easier to press. Fourth, starch is your friend. Fifth, cutting with a rotorary cutter takes practice. Place your hand on ruler and cut stopping at the top of your hand, move your hand and finish cutting will give you better cuts. Sometimes it is easier to cut your fabric into smaller pieces before cutting.Sixth, speed sewing will cause uneven seems, sew at a slow pace will give you better seems. Seventh, join a guild, everyone is willing to share what they know without passing judgement. Eight, if the patterns calls for a yard, buy a 1 1/2 yards to allow for cutting errors.

When you decide on a pattern, read it three times from start to finish. It helps to understand what they are telling you. And if you get stumped, asking here will get you several responses. Remember to post a picture when you ask for help, pictures do speak a thousand words. Also, when looking at a block, it will looke funny until it is joined, the seam allowance is there. Also, YouTube has wonderful tutorials.
Old 09-07-2012, 05:28 AM

I just started quilting just over 2 years ago with the news of my first grandchild. I found alot of information on line and I also bought the book Better Homes and Garden Complete Guide to Quilting. I love the book. I would like to take a quilting class just to maybe pick up a few pointers but the time just doesn't work out.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:04 AM

When I decided to start quilting I went to the library for various books. Some were old fashioned (templates vs. rotary cuts, etc.) but I learned from them all -- for free.