Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Help me quick!!!

If it doesn't come out, you could tea dye it and you'd never know it happened. Sorry, I know it must be heartbreaking.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jill
    I would have tried Shout first, but then I always have good luck with it. My MIL said when she used Oxy-Clean that it was very hard on their clothes. I was pinning the Sunbonnet Sue quilt for my DGD last night and stuck myself on a pin. Wouldn't you know that the blood dropped on the white fabric, not any other color. Anyway, it came right out with cold water.
    Blood comes out with your own saliva - something about the enzymes.

Try WISK. You can get this in the laundry detergent aisle. Tide usually works for me. I use the Wisk for tough stains.

Well here is the end to the story. I soaked it overnight with Oxyclean and it came out. However it did fade the quilt a bit but not drastically. I still had to put the rest of the binding on it and since the quilt had shrunk some I decided to wash the other strips of binding and sew them to the quilt while they both were wet so that any dryer shrinkage would wrinkle the same as the strips already on it. Sewing a wet quilt was an adventure I never thought I would have! Then I put it back on the longarm frame because I had planned on one more row of quilting right next to the binding so I still had that to do. I did that wet too so that that quilting would match when it dried. Then I threw it in the dryer, and it looked just fine when it was done. I don't usually wash the quilts I gift so I did tell the story to my sister so that she could explain to my neice why it was already washed. And my husband gets to stay! He's a keeper and it was an accident. He still feels really bad and I bet he never does it again!

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    Great to hear you got the stain out and that all is well...even if it was an adventure. Now, give Hubs a big kiss for thinking of you to bring you beverage, but tell him next time to put it in a water bottle with a lid! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ljfox
    Now I soaked it in ERA with enzyme stain fighter and also peroxide, and that didn't help. So I pulled it out of the washer and put the peroxide on it directly and that is sitting now. The baby shower is tomorrow and I can't decide what to do if I can't get the stain out. Should I give up and dry it, finish the binding and give it to her with a note that I need it back so I can take it apart and put new backing on it? The front of the quilt it fine, it didn't soak through. Or just give her a note explaining what happened and make her a new quilt?
    That's what I would do. If it doesn't come out, then take it back, fix it and give it back as soon as possible. She will surely understand.

I'm so glad the story has a happy ending! I can't imagine trying to sew / quilt something wet; you are a better woman than I am.

Poor husband, I'm glad it all worked out for him, too. :)

Blog Entries
    I'm so glad this ended well. Poor DH, his heart was in the right place. Bet he'll stand back far away from your quilts with a drink from now on :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwick156
    ... "shake can, remove lid, point nozzle into your mouth and squeeze as much as you want into your mouth". Repeat until contents of can is either empty or your feeling better about the stain. LOL.
    excellent advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet Leigh
    I agree with finishing the quilt. I love the idea of tea staining it.
    Also, if you can't beat it .. join it. After the quilt is finished, put some diet coke in a spray bottle and spray the back, randomly, so that it matches the original stain. Let it set for awhile then wash the whole thing. You may have just stumbled on to something!! ;-)
    very creative great idea :thumbup:

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So do we get to see the quilt????

So sorry but I don't have any ideas.

Soil love from the 99cents store or prespot from melaleuca.com
    prespot pretty much gets anything out, blood , pen ink, chocolate, etc. love it

Blog Entries
    Now I soaked it in ERA with enzyme stain fighter and also peroxide, and that didn't help. So I pulled it out of the washer and put the peroxide on it directly and that is sitting now. The baby shower is tomorrow and I can't decide what to do if I can't get the stain out. Should I give up and dry it, finish the binding and give it to her with a note that I need it back so I can take it apart and put new backing on it? The front of the quilt it fine, it didn't soak through. Or just give her a note explaining what happened and make her a new quilt?
    Call the mama and tell her about it, ask if she would mind waiting for a fresh one, then make a big goofy coupon to take to the shower, (wrapped to open) promising her a new quilt? IMHO. I am hopeless with stains. Sorry. :oops:

So glad to hear it all came out and you were able to finish it in time.

Blog Entries
    As long as you have not put in the dryer, then try some cold water and rub with a bar of soap, then gently with your fingers, rub the spot let sit for awhile and then rinse.

You might think I am crazy, but I try this for many a stain.

Dee
    I always use Zout. Best cleaning product I ever used.

Blog Entries
    LOVE a happy ending, but, that was a lot of work. Praise the Lord!!

Take a picture of the front..give to her with a note that this is a pic. of her gift. with a date of delivery..1 lady posted lock husbands out of sewing room...my thought on that is .." it is only fabric it can be replaced..a good husband is few and far between" try drinking water in sewing room...good luck

when is your husband's memorial service?

I know a way to take blood out if you stick yourself. Roll up a small ball of thread, moisten it with your own saliva and dab the spot. It has something to do with your own blood and saliva. Won't work using someone elses saliva or on someone elses blood.

We have an Arrzona lady on tv and her name is the Queen of Clean. Look on line and see if you can find her. She know how to get everything out of everything. Good luck

I am so glad for you. You went through alot.

Take a picture of the front and give it to her with an IOU. Just say technical difficulties interferred with you finishing it in time.

Quote Originally Posted by sewingsuz
    We have an Arrzona lady on tv and her name is the Queen of Clean. Look on line and see if you can find her. She know how to get everything out of everything. Good luck
    looks like a wonderful site, thanks...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast