Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help me shop for a machine! >

Help me shop for a machine!

Help me shop for a machine!

Old 03-26-2024, 04:17 AM

Default Help me shop for a machine!

Hi, I made a post in the introduction section.
I'm here because I'm shopping for a machine and I need some help. I'm getting dizzy with all the options. I know to go to the dealers but there are only 3 dealers within an hour from me and one of them I'm not going to shop with. I want to narrow down what to look for before taking a road trip. I want to piece, FMQ, mend, blind hem.
I was wanting a mechanical machine but I don't think that will be possible with what I want on the machine.
I like the IDT system on the Pfaff, however, that is not a must have. Walking foot is made for a reason!
My must haves are a large throat, needle up/down, speed control, thread cutter, with a front of side loading bobbin. I don't like pulling my project off the machine to change the bobbin.
I want something that will last, metal inside parts. My quilts are usually queen to king size. I work with heavy materials sometimes (denim and flannels)
What do you all recommend? Can I get this in one machine or would it be best to get 2 separate machines? (one for piecing and mending and one for FMQ, quilting)
Thank you all for your help!
Old 03-26-2024, 04:59 AM

Pfaff girl here. Asking a question like that, you will get a different answer from each person. You have to test drive them all to find out what feels good for you. Each machine will have its own features that you will like. Make a list of what you want and then make a list of what each machine offers and compare. Also shop the dealer. If you go with a high-end machine, a helpful dealer will make all the difference. Dealer support is very important. I have owned a Pfaff machine for 30 years now and I am sold on the machines. They are good quality, and my dealer is one of the best.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:20 AM

Bernina girl here. I have used the same one for 40 years and inherited another one from DMIL. I recently acquired a new Bernette because I wanted more than 20 decorative stitches, but I still use the old reliable for everyday! Also the Q16 sit down long arm--it was easy learning curve. Too bad you don't live near south Texas. I have a 5th machine sitting in the corner-- Bernina Industrial that I don't use and is for sale.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

I highly recommend the Juki TL series. I have the 2010. It has all the features you are asking for, even speed control, except the blind hem, straight stitch only. The price of the machine is reasonable for you to buy a second machine that will do decorative stitches . You probably won't need fancy one to do basic decorative stitches.
If no Juki dealer close then I would order from Juki Junkies. They have a great customer service reputation. Sew Yeah is another great online dealer.
I have a Bernina, Janome, Brother, Eversewn and several vintage Singers so I do know the comparisons I have had Paff and Baby Lock. I use my Juki for piecing and machine quilting, it is my go to machine.
Old 03-26-2024, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

I second the Juki. It's a great machine. A true workhorse. I have 2 Berninas and I love them but for piecing and quilting I use my Juki. And the price is much lower than Bernina.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:46 AM

Hi there -- I also posted on your introduction post. I mentioned there that I am also looking at a new primary machine as well as a long arm. We moved this last year and having the space for the long arm was part of the deal, but I also want the large throat for things like baby quilts and small projects.

I think this one fits most of both our needs -- except no thread cutter.
https://babylock.com/machines/sewing/jazz-iid

Here's a thread just a bit down the list that specifically goes into experiences with the baby lock
Baby Lock Jazz II

Old 03-26-2024, 11:06 AM
Power Poster

Brother PQq1500. Very similar to Juki but much less expensive. Also less problems than the jazz ones.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

I had a Brother 1500. A nice machine but no speed control. It is comparable to the Juki TL 2000.
Old 03-26-2024, 06:54 PM

I third the Juki. I have the 2200 QVP Mini which is the same as the TL 2010. It's a great machine for piecing and for FMQ. I've quilted a king size quilt on it without problem. The throat space is long and high and gives you lots of room.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:14 AM

JANOME HD9 V2 was my choice after watching the comparison on youtube tube.
Janome has an exra large bobbin. Juki is Lstyle bobbin.
HD9 foot pedal is the extra large one. Juki is designed where you have to have your whole foot on top of the pedal
Janomes throat space is a little larger.
Hd9 max sewing is 1600 spm, Juki 2010 is 1500.
HD9 has a lot more lighting than the Juki2010.
HD9 has a higher foot lift at 12.7mm vs. Juki 9mm.
The biggest selling point for me was the Janome sewing through 4 layers of leather. I make bags, so importantbto me. Test on YouTube, same leather, thread, and settings, the Juki would not sew, machine jammed, broke thread. Watch "let's talk Jaome versus Juki HD machines - Kelley Rao, from the 10:55 minute mark to 13:16 it shows the issue with the leather.
I would say try them, check out all the features from lighting to foot pedal to size of bobbin. Watch the you tube videos.
They are both nice machines. Also, when you choose, ask the dealer for walking foot, extra feet, needle plate, bonus bundle etc.
BTW the industrial sewing machine feet from Waywak are alot less in price and fit both of these machines.
best wishes in your quest.

Last edited by Lady Diana; 03-28-2024 at 11:19 AM.