Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help...in need of a machine >

Help...in need of a machine

Help...in need of a machine

Old 02-18-2014, 09:43 PM

I'd check out the Bernette Seville --- compares with the Bernette 46. Good basic machine, metal parts and holds up to going back and forth to classes. I got the machine to teach an 8 year old how to sew basics and to use for classes. I have higher end machines for my fancy stitching, but the basic one works like a trooper as long as onbe cleans it when needed (every three bobbins on a quilt) I use a soft watercolor brush or makeup brush to clean the lint out of the bobbin area and feed dogs frequently.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:45 PM

The Kenmores in the 158. series are classics that can't be beat! I even bought a walking foot for mine for piecing. And I've bought a couple of backup machines.... They'll do about 10 "fancy" stitches, depending on the model. Some use cams, some don't (just turn a dial to choose), again, depending on the model.
Old 02-19-2014, 04:58 AM

Check with LQS for machines that have been traded in. The old work horse machines are some times difficult to find. Keep trying.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
I love the 70's Kenmores. Tough metal workhorses, and some models have cams for fancy stitches if desired. Parts are easy to find, and not expensive. I know later ones were available as plastic freearms, don't know if they also came in metal.
Sure wish I still had mine. My dad bought it for my mom in the late 60's and she hated it. Too many "fancy" things on it for her. She gave it to me and I used it to make clothes for my daughter. Made a couple long, formal gowns on it when that was the style in the early 70's. Going out for dinner; wear a long gown. Wow, glad that formal dress code is relaxed! (maybe too relaxed now!) Traded it in on a new Designer One back in the early 2000's. If only we had known.......
Old 02-19-2014, 09:49 AM

Where are you located? I have 17 metal Kenmores in ready to go shape, featherweight, redeye, white, morse,
Viking, and more.
Old 02-19-2014, 10:23 AM

What Kenmore models??
Old 02-20-2014, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

We aren't suppose to buy and sell things on this part of the forum. I would recommend looking on Craig's List in your area. There are quite a few people on this board who repair and then sell on CL. That said, there are TONS and TONS of older sewing machines that will do what you are asking. Many have been mentioned. However, you need to look for something in good condition not just a model name or number. When you buy a straight stitch machine check the sewing on it to make sure it sews a nice stitch. Check to see if it has been cleaned of lint and dried oil. Some people want one that does zig zag - check to see if it goes in zig zag and does reverse. Does it bother you to sew on a machine that has the needle to the left? Check needle position. See if the stitch length and width still adjust. See if it turns freely. Check the wiring to make sure it isn't broken or frayed. Check to see if it will sew through heavy and light material. If you buy it on CL you might find someone who works on them and will be willing to work on it if something isn't right. If you don't mind doing your own work then you can get something for cheap and learn to do the clean up and repairs yourself. As far as cost goes expect to pay a few dollars more for one that has been cleaned up for you but the ones needing work can be all over the map for prices and can be found at yard sales, thrift stores, Craig's List and Ebay. As far as personal favorites, I like a good Singer 403 or 503 - they are simple to use and maintain and do everything the more complicated 401 and 500 do - those are good machines too though. Then there are Kenmores. I've seen some problems with Kenmore reverse and control knobs. There are some really good older simple White, Brother, New Home, Montgomery Ward, JC Penny and other non-Singer machine, too. The costs will not be huge. There are any number of old Japanese machines. I would look for the ones with drop in disks rather than a built in camstack. We have a huge amount of info here about the vintage machines. It could take a month of reading to look at all there is here on Quilting Board.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:12 AM

I have a Singer 401 that is a real workhorse and has a wonderful stitch. I love to use it. I purchased it in 1959. I had a Bernina 830 (original 830). I loved it. I finally sold it because I had too many machines. It was a great machine. I have seen both of these machine models on ebay and other places on the internet.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:57 AM

I have a Kenmore I bought in the 80's. It was a display model at sears and my husband brought it home as a surprise. I think it was around $600 at that time and I was angry that he paid so much. That machine will not die. I have had it in twice to be cleaned an checked over "just because" It was the best money we ever spent. It is heavy and all metal. Can't imagine what I would pay today for such a work horse.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chaney Ranch View Post
I have a Bernina 830 Record that is still going strong after 35 years. You can usually find one on EBay or Craigs List for a decent price. They are all metal, heavy machines that last forever.
I imagine many Bernina stores will also have used 830 Records for sale, too. It is a work horse and all mechanical ! Mine is still running beautifully after 40 years, too!!