Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help...in need of a machine >

Help...in need of a machine

Help...in need of a machine

Old 02-20-2014, 06:45 AM

I have a 1970's Kenmore 1703. It will sew through just about anything plus it has cams if you want decorative stitches. It sews better than my newer Brother and has better looking stitches.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 AM

I had two sewing machines (domestic) that would NOT let me quilt on them. They made continuous loops no matter how I set the tension, stitch length, speed, or change of batting. So I made a small quilt sandwich, took it to a sewing machine store and tried out all their demo machines. The best one I found (perfect for this) was an inexpensive White that did all the moves correctly.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:41 AM

Lots of great advice has been given already. I just want to add that if you are wanting to do quilting as well as piecing I suggest that you get a vertical bobbin rather than a horizontal/drop in bobbin. Most people find the quilting to be superior on the horizontal bobbin machines. e.g.: Bernina 830 Record, Singer 15-91, Singer 301 have vertical bobbin with a bobbin case. Of those three, only the Bernina 830 Record has zig zag capabilities.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:42 PM

If you were in Northern IL I would recommend Necchi Newhome in Rockford http://kellyssewingctr.com/home. They have a lot of used machines and an excellent repairman. You can pick up a good machine for $79 on up. We also have a quilting group that has a lot of fun!
Old 02-20-2014, 07:26 PM

I had a Kenmore workhorse in the 1970s that was wonderful and someone, somewhere is probably still using it. Recently sold my 1963 Singer Rocketeer (501) and got a Bernina 1130. All of them did/do basic stitching and some fancy stuff, too. All are great machines. Any of the machines these knowledgeable ladies/men have mentioned would do what you need. Good luck, I'm sure you'll find the right machine.
Old 02-22-2014, 08:45 PM

Singer 237 is zig zag and straight stitch only, weighs in at 32 lbs. I treadle my machine, it came with a motor that was bad.
Sharon
Attached Thumbnails singer-coffin-top-treadle-009.jpg   singer-coffin-top-treadle-013.jpg  
Old 02-23-2014, 05:58 AM

I realize this is n old post, but just in case -
I LOVE my Viking (Husqvarna) 630. The 610 is a little older model with not quite as many features, but still a good solid machine. There's a model number between those 2 numbers that is good too.
When the repairman said my old Singer was plastic and I wore it out, in about 1989, he said this was a workhorse with the all metal feature you described. It was sold to schools, back when schools taught sewing, so it had to hold up.

I've been able to get them off ebay for about $80.
I've been using it since, and the last 5 years used it for FMQ. I have NEVER had a tension problem with it. Of course, it knows it's my baby so that might be why!

It has a vertical bobbin and a needle up/down button. And a speed button. It seems to like all thread, including the cheap stuff. Never needs oiling, though I do clean it religiously

I have 5 630's I've gotten off ebay because I suspect there are many parts in its inerds that are no longer available. That way, I have the parts. However, they all work so well, and my original never seems to break my daughter has been instructed that is she ever needs another machine, I've got one for her

Last edited by RugosaB; 02-23-2014 at 06:06 AM. Reason: gain
Old 03-09-2014, 02:24 PM

Smile

I have two older reliable all metal, mechanical sewing machines by Pfaff. I have the Pfaff 130, with the "coffee grinder" which is actually an add on here in the U.S. by the dealer, and is an attached embroidery unit. I bought this machine used from a Pfaff dealer after he serviced it, and my very favorite thing I like to do on it is FMQ. It is rock solid.

My other Pfaff 262 I bought brand new in 1969. It has the dial to call up designs other than just zig zag. Since I had owned it that long, I was already experienced in using a workhorse. The only thing you have to remember to do is oil these machines regularly since metal is running with metal. But they are awesome. It is the machine to the right in my avator picture.

Last edited by vschieve; 03-09-2014 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Old 03-09-2014, 03:55 PM

Check Craig's List and http://www.shopgoodwill.com. I've seen several decent looking machines in both places. I even bought a Pfaff 1471 with all of its feet for $50 off Craig's list.. All it needed was a good oiling and it's running like a dream! What a find!