Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help..need new quilting rulers and templates.... >

Help..need new quilting rulers and templates....

Help..need new quilting rulers and templates....

Old 10-28-2012, 03:39 AM

Since you are new to quilting and have a limited budget, I'll share my secret with you. Don't tell anyone but I still use a yard stick to measure and cut. (available at any hardware store)(some give them away for advertisement) and I make my templates out of poster board. Just be sure to add the 1/4 inch seam allowance if the pattern hasn't already done it for you. Poor people have poor ways is what my mama always told me. I would say that I'm being frugal. heheheh!
Old 10-28-2012, 03:47 AM

I read a post some time ago about using clear (I guess) placemats from the Dollar Store or out of the craft section at cloth stores. I think they are technically used to decorate but they make sturdy templates. I intend to find some if I can keep my CRS from kicking in when I am in the store. But as everyone said you don't need a lot of rulers. Decide on which rulers you think are the most important for you and buy them gradually as your money permits. Don't forget coupons, sales, thrift stores and asking for them for presents (or gift cards to your favorite store).
Old 10-28-2012, 03:59 AM

I use my 6" x 12" ruler the most. It is easy to manuever and works for so many applications. I have almost worn mine out! Get some little dots (either sandpaper or grippy rubber) to keep your ruler from slipping. A couple swipes of a glue stick on the underside of your ruler will keep it from slipping also.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:50 AM

6x12 and 6x24 are the basics. A 12 in square up ruler is a great ruler as most of the squares I make are 12 in. It is also a good ruler for squareing up quilt corners then use the 6 x 24 on the sides.
I make alot of half square triangles so Quilt In A Days triangle square up ruler is a must for me.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:03 AM

I would allso add the June Taylor "Shape Cut Pro" for cutting 2 1/2" strips.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:11 AM

Creative Grids!!! They are the best to me as they have a gripper surface that WORKS to hold your ruler in place while cutting. Especially good for the long cuts. They are more expensive and cannot be found at Walmart and Joanns. BUT...a ruler is not something you replace unless it breaks some how. (not likely) 6x24 is a great all purpose ruler. Depending on what type quilts you like to make, you may want a 6x6 or 12x12 square up ruler or a speciality triangle ruler DO stay with one brand if you can as each brand will vary slighty from each other. I did start out if OminGrid rulers as they can be purchased at a wide variety of store that offer 50% off coupons. They are good rulers no doubt but after using a 3x6 Creative Grid ruler I am changing ALL mine to that. Good luck in what ever you decide.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:15 AM

There are several places online that have things pretty cheap.

http://www.createforless.com/
http://www.quilting-warehouse.com/index.html
http://jhittlesewing.com/visitor/index_jhs.html

Here's three to start you off.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:16 AM

I mainly use a 6 x 24 and a 15 x 15 square. You could ask for them as a gift for a special occassion. You could also join [email protected] is a group that people use to sell sewing items. Maybe someone has used rulers that they no longer want and would sell them to you at a reduced price.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:27 AM

Before buying check out different brands to see which are the easiest to read for you. I find the yellow rulers very difficult to read, as well as the clear with black writing. I find Kay Englands's Nifty Notions rulers in teal and pink easiest to read. Look at the True Cut rulers as well. Their custom rotary cutter rides on a raised edge on the ruler. The colors are similar to Kay's and the edge eliminates inaccuracy from tipping the cutter when cutting. They also sell little round stickers to put on which reduces ruler slippage. I have found only one shop that carried them. I wanted to try it before purchasing and loved them and highly recommend them for accuracy.

I suggest starting with the 6x24 size. If you fold your fabric in half, selvage to fold, it will cut your strips accurately. Take some time to look around. It is good to have your basics all the same brand. Rulers are an investment and will last for a long time. Choose what works best for you, don't just settle for the cheapest
Old 10-28-2012, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
Since you are new to quilting and have a limited budget, I'll share my secret with you. Don't tell anyone but I still use a yard stick to measure and cut. (available at any hardware store)(some give them away for advertisement) and I make my templates out of poster board. Just be sure to add the 1/4 inch seam allowance if the pattern hasn't already done it for you. Poor people have poor ways is what my mama always told me. I would say that I'm being frugal. heheheh!
I tell my kids all the time "I was green before it was cool, we just called it poor". I too still use my ruler and a yardstick more than anything. I still use scissors and newspaper patterns, I don't have a rotary cutter or mat. I am thinking of going to Harbor Freight and getting a carpet cutter for $5, if the replacement blades fit a rotary cutter, what's the difference. I do have a June Taylor square I use for rag quilts but otherwise I just use what I have. I plan on picking things up a little at a time, as I find them.