Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help..need new quilting rulers and templates.... >

Help..need new quilting rulers and templates....

Help..need new quilting rulers and templates....

Old 10-29-2012, 05:35 AM

i was also going to mention Tuesday Morning. But it is a chance what will be there. The ruler I use the most is my 3x18 Marti Mitchell ruler. It really is my Favorite Ruler. I wore the markings off my old one and had to buy a new one. I may get another one just in case they stop making them. It seems everytime I find something I really love and works great for me they decide to either stop making it or "improve" it. I have picked up rulers in thrift stores too. I never pay over $10 for one if I can help it.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 AM

If you're just starting, I wouldn't worry about getting a "ruler" made from Lowes or somewhere. It won't have the markings you need to straighten and measure your fabric. I agree that the 12" sq. and 6x24" are basics. You can manager with just them for a long time. As your quilting progresses, you can see what you will need more often, but I'd advise you not to buy a pile of rulers, just wait and see.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 AM

Maria, I am not sure if anyone mentioned this, but when you buy your rulers, make sure they are all the same make. For instance, get all Omnigrid or Optima or whatever so the measurements will remain consistent. I bought some other brands and found they did not measure the same. Also, do not use your cutting board to measure as that also may not be accurrate. I have bought other rulers for special projects such as the Strip Tube Ruler which made life easier than trying to calculate measurements from a regular ruler.Good luck to you. Happy Quilting.

Originally Posted by ML1221 View Post
Hi..I'm 25 years old and new to quilting and I love it.. I have been taking classes at my local high school and have learned so much.. But what I haven't learned is how to make and or have someone make me some different acrylic rulers or template.. I've been to Joann and Walmart and I've also checked out so many quilt shop online and one thing they have in common is how expensive those rulers are.. If anyone has some ideas I would love some feed backs... Thanks so much Maria
Old 10-29-2012, 08:38 AM

If you go to ace hardware they will cut out the template but you need to know the exact measurements, my ace does the cutting for FREE
Old 10-29-2012, 08:50 AM

Joann's usually has quilting supplies on sale every other flier. Save your coupons for faric and wait for the rulers to go on sale. They are usually at 40% off. Same goes for batting.

Welcome to the great world of quilting.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:02 AM

Tashana, ME TOO! taking hubby that is. I never buy anything at JoAnn's or Hancock's without a coupon and I always take my husband. In fact I made him sign up at each store to receive the coupon ad in the mail, therefore I get 2 complete ads with coupons.
For ML1221, USE THOSE COUPONS! Like I said, go to the store, sign up for their mailer ad. They are like gold to quilters, for fabric, and especially, those expensive rulers. Also, believe it or not, go to a TUESDAY MORNING, they sometimes have awsome low prices on rulers and quilting gagets.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:03 AM

I would not hesitate to make a template for a piece of acrylic, but I would not make a ruler.....
a simple Dresden plate or 90 degree or a half hexagon....go for it....or a simple twister..
Old 10-29-2012, 09:12 AM

Have you checked Ebay, there is one seller that cuts the rulers...also very reasonable...
Old 10-29-2012, 11:28 AM

I agree with what others have already said. I always use coupons or watch for the 50% off sales on notions, rulers, mats, cutters etc. when I need something. I would never pay full price for these items.
Old 10-29-2012, 03:52 PM

You have to be careful about them being cut accurately. I had them cut a piece of wood for me. Each piece was suppose to be the same size, none of them were. As someone else mentioned, you would have to get the marking accurate also. I started out with one or two basic sizes and then bought others on sale, with coupons and on clearance. I very rarely pay full price for anything.

Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
I would say to go and buy you a sheet of acrylic and have Lows cut you the sizes out of it that you need
if you buy the sheet of acrylic from them they will cut them for free. Hope this helps and welcome to the board.