Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Help needed to figure out fabric in container

So sorry you lost so much. I'm in Cuyahoga Falls and was lucky not to get much rain. It seems everytime it rains here it floods. Even last week it rained once and some roads were closed. Usually in the National Park. What part do you live in?
    Pat

Blog Entries
    I know what you are going through, but your situation is worse than what ours was. Several years ago we were gone over the labor day weekend and when we came home our house was flooded. Our upstairs toilet tank had cracked and water was running out, don't know if it was for all the days we were gone but anyway, The whole upstairs was flooded and water running down the steps into the basement and an 1 1/2 of water all over. I was able to selvedge some of the fabric, but now everything is in tubs and off of the floor and the water gets shut off every week we leave. We also put a stainless steel wrap or shield hose on our wash machine to prevent that hose from breaking. Hope you get as much compsenation for all your fabric you lost.

Blog Entries
    I don't think the weighing thing will work very well, if the damaged fabrics are still wet they will weigh a lot more. I think filling the tubs with fabric, then measuring the fabric, is probably your best bet.

Do you still have any of the containers? If so, empty 1 & photograph it. Then photo all of the other containers, leaving them full. Your insurance adjuster will appreciate having those photos. To calculate the # of yards, fold a 1 yard piece the size of the bottom of the container & measure how high it is. Then divide that # by the height of the 1 yard piece. That's your yardage! Remember to add sales tax to the cost & use an average per yard of about $12.50. That's from a retired property adjuster.

Having just gone through basement and storage unit flooding and roof replacement at the same time, I found out that most policies cover with depreciation and will issue a depreciation check if the items are replaced. Not all policies are this way, but some are. Our adjustors here tell us the replacement cost at todays values. That is their jobs to research it with our policy.

Sorry you have to go through this.

Quote Originally Posted by Summer Spice
    So very sorry for you and the others loss. This may help, fill a container full of dry yardage and then weigh it. Find out how much yardage is in a pound and multiply it by the weight of the tub. May-be?
    Equilter lists fabric end cuts by the pound and says one pound of fabric equals about 3 to 3-1/2 yards.

I just wanted you to know how badly I feel for you. I hope everything works out for you.

Wow, how horrible to lose all that fabric. And everything else you may have lost. I'd hate to throw out all that fabric, couldn't you take it out to the back yard and use a garden hose to get the worse off and then throw it in one (or 3) of those large machines at the laundry mat?

And before people start yelling, I've never been in a flood where sewage was involved. I really am asking for the knowledge in case it ever happens to me. And I love fabric and hate to lose good fabric.

I recently asked an insurance agent and now I have to measure my material and make an index with picture. Probably need to do the same thing with my embroidery patterns - oh my, now I really am n ot looking forward to this process (LOL). SO SORRY - wish I could help you.

OHHHH such a terrible thing, all of it. Sorry to hear of your losses but as long as you and the family are fine that's all that really matters. Cliche but true. Good luck with the insurance!

We live in the Kenmore area. We were out in that storm on Sunday in the Cuyhoga Valley Park area it was terrible. I couldn't believe the 'rivers of water' on the roads!

3 yards of fabric equal a pound. Don't know about batting. Will check my large container and give you an estimate as how much fabric I have it. Hopes this helps.

I go through the National Park everyday and I had been there the day before and thought that the water looked really low. Then it rained and here come the floods. It seems like it just can't rain normal. I used to live in NH and it would only flood if you were near a river. I'm having trouble with my porch roof. I had a brand new one put on when I had the house and garage done. It's worse than the one I had. This winter when we got the ice storm it backed up and froze on it and then it separated from the house. I had it nailed back up but it rains in the porch so I think I need a new one. It's not even 3 years old. Where you in the flooding when Copley got flooded? Pat

Yes, that's when it happened. Our whole neighborhood got hit. First time int the 37 years that we have lived here.

That was really bad. Then with the Copley killings last week. And that is an upscale neighborhood.. I guess you just never know. Pat

Yes, I was shocked at the shootings. So sad.
    Laurel

It's happening too much in this area. I saw where Parma got flooded again. There it is everytime it rains. Did you see the Civil War Reenactment at the Hale Farm? It was there all weekend. Looked like fun.

We have attended the event but not this year. There is so much to do there. We like their pancake breakfast during the spring Maple Syrup festival.

Blog Entries
    The 2 quilt shops that I usually buy from keep a record of their customers' purchases. Have you checked with them?

No I haven't. Didn't even think of that.

I would fill a like container with fabric, measure it to determine the yardage and multiply by $8 (average price for a yard of cotton fabric). Then multiply by the number of containers you had and up it by 10 to 15 percent, just in case you missed something. That should satisfy the insurance company. So sorry this happened to you. It must be heart wrenching to lose your stash and so much stash. That is a lot of fabric!

I am sorry you had to suffer this terrible flood.

Blog Entries
    I have 20 - 30 yards in a tote. I would guestimate at 200 yards at $12 a yard plus tax and then add some for good measure, I would say around $3000. When I talked to my insurance company when I got my new machine, I explained that I had between $3000 & $5000 in fabric alone and she said that would not be a problem that I did not have to itemize that amount of fabric because I have really good coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsylady5
    I would fill a like container with fabric, measure it to determine the yardage and multiply by $8 (average price for a yard of cotton fabric). Then multiply by the number of containers you had and up it by 10 to 15 percent, just in case you missed something. That should satisfy the insurance company. So sorry this happened to you. It must be heart wrenching to lose your stash and so much stash. That is a lot of fabric!
    Oh dear, I think you are in for a big surprise when you visit a quilt store. Prices have jumped! You will be lucky to find fabric at $10, let alone $8. OTOH, if it really is $8 where you live, let us know so we can come visit!

Okay, I have a number for you. I recently received 40 yards of fabric in a large Express mail box, which measures 12x12x5.5". That box was full, and the ebay seller claims she can pack up to 40 (no more) yards in a box.

I converted those inches (12x12x5.5=792) and found that it is equivalent to 11.7856 dry quarts. Your 58-quart container is 4.9212 times as large as the postal box, so if you filled it absolutely full you would get about 196.85 yards in it (4.9212 * 40).

So... 8 containers *196.85 yards/container = 1574.8 yards! At $12/yard = $18,897.60. Sounds like a nice shopping trip, yes?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast