Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help needed please.......... >

Help needed please..........

Help needed please..........

Old 09-14-2011, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
Post a pic. I'll be back in half an hour. ;-)

FYI - the middle border on the 1st diagram is 2.5" wide FINISHED.
This is the colours I thought I may use, don't know if I should use four or not, the cream is for the sky. The middle border is going to have 3 borders ( I think) maybe one 2 1/2, one 2 1/2, and one 1". Then another row of flying geese

You can see I only have a picture in my eye at this point. I made a quilt for my baby GS, and his Dad (son inlaw) loved it and said "make me one". So if I can get it done in time for Xmas with all the other things I have on my plate, that's what his xmas present will be, otherwise it will go as a birthday present in January!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-256762.jpe  
Old 09-14-2011, 06:30 PM
MTS
Banned

Are those about 2.5" high?

The reason I mentioned the center border size is because you need to keep it on the same grid if you want the FG's in both borders to be the same size.

So, you could do 2" - 1" - 2" (all sizes FINISHED). That would add a total 5" - 2 FG's. If you make it 6", then the 2.5" won't work evenly on the outside border.

Not that you asked, but if it were me, I'd paper piece them in chunks - that way you don't have to worry about coming up short or long when you go to attach it.

One sec for a new diagram:

Again, it's just for proportion - I don't know if you're doing it with all different fabrics, or just different sky or geese on the different borders. I see the cream, but is that just the inner?

FG are 2.5" x 5" FINISHED
Inner border - top/bottom 14 FG each, sides 16 FG each
Striped border - 2" - 1" - 2" FINISHED sizes
Outer border - top/bottom 22 FG each, sides 24 FG each

Total 152 Flying Geese.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-256770.jpe  
Old 09-14-2011, 06:38 PM
Power Poster

MTS is great with her info. Just be VERY accurate with attaching the geese. I have done something similar using scrappy patriotic colors. I like using Eleanor Burns method of using two squares that produce 4 flying geese. It allows you to make changes if you are slightly off. Then you know that all your geese are perfect before starting your border. Keep them in groups so that you can keep check your aaccuracy. That is what I learn from doing geese in a border. I think your fabric choices are stunning... GOOD LUCK !! :)
Old 09-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

I made flying geese that were a tad too big for my quilt, so i added an inner border to make the measurements of the geese fit perfectly. you may end up doing that if necessary.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-256785.jpe  
Old 09-14-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
Are those about 2.5" high?

The reason I mentioned the center border size is because you need to keep it on the same grid if you want the FG's in both borders to be the same size.

So, you could do 2" - 1" - 2" (all sizes FINISHED). That would add a total 5" - 2 FG's. If you make it 6", then the 2.5" won't work evenly on the outside border.

Not that you asked, but if it were me, I'd paper piece them in chunks - that way you don't have to worry about coming up short or long when you go to attach it.

One sec for a new diagram:

Again, it's just for proportion - I don't know if you're doing it with all different fabrics, or just different sky or geese on the different borders. I see the cream, but is that just the inner?

FG are 2.5" x 5" FINISHED
Inner border - top/bottom 14 FG each, sides 16 FG each
Striped border - 2" - 1" - 2" FINISHED sizes
Outer border - top/bottom 22 FG each, sides 24 FG each

Total 152 Flying Geese.
No not 2 1/2" high, just the colours placed next to panel to give you the idea of my choices.

I'm going to do the geese different colours, and I thought the cream for the sky, it's a little paler than I would have liked, but so hard to judge and choose colours when I'm buying on-line.

Thank you for your help MTS, your input has made it so much easier for me. :thumbup: :D
Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by kiffie2413
I can't help you with the sizes...but like picking up the gold of the leaves in the color of the flying geese....good luck to you, will be a lovely quilt
Thankyou! :D
Old 09-14-2011, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2
MTS is great with her info. Just be VERY accurate with attaching the geese. I have done something similar using scrappy patriotic colors. I like using Eleanor Burns method of using two squares that produce 4 flying geese. It allows you to make changes if you are slightly off. Then you know that all your geese are perfect before starting your border. Keep them in groups so that you can keep check your aaccuracy. That is what I learn from doing geese in a border. I think your fabric choices are stunning... GOOD LUCK !! :)
Yes she is great with her info, I have read many of her posts helping people with there quilting problems, and I'm sure there very appreciative as I am. :D
Thank you for your help as well!