Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with an old quilt - ID the design/era? >

Help with an old quilt - ID the design/era?

Help with an old quilt - ID the design/era?

Old 07-31-2014, 05:36 AM

Welcome to the Board! Enjoy your 350 -- I have one as my second machine (it is the one my grandkids sew on all the time too). That is a wonderful machine. There is a lot of knowledge on this board -- we love seeing vintage quilts and new ones too!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:30 AM

Wow - thanks for all the responses - I figured that by including the photos, it would generate some ideas. I am going to look again at the pics and pull up one of the quilts "hiding" behind the GFG quilt - a much newer made piece - that I believe was also made by my grandmother, but I think it was from the later 1980's time frame. I will find out more when I talk with my mom in the near future.

Not sure if I will make a separate "thread" so to speak - about the second "mystery" quilt - or just add on here. I am on vacation, and not always in control of my time - others around me trump my hand - if you know what I mean! (BTW I am in North Conway/Intervale NH at the moment, might stop down for some time at Keepsake Quilts in Center Harbor for fun.)

Adam
Old 07-31-2014, 07:33 AM

Barb, thanks for asking - it is just the same quilt but folded. The "usual" hexagons are separated by diamonds but it is not obvious what the entire quilt looks like, since it is folded in the pictures.

Adam
Old 07-31-2014, 07:38 AM
Jim

Hi Adam...welcome to QB. its by asking questions that we learn the unknown, especially from a great group like this. If no one knows the answers, someone is going to be looking up and researching to help get the answers...Again Welcome to the group...Jim, a fellow quilter from KY
Old 07-31-2014, 07:42 AM

the fabric looks like feed sacks to me - hard to tell in a picture though. did your relatives live on a farm by chance?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by NikkiLu View Post
the fabric looks like feed sacks to me - hard to tell in a picture though. did your relatives live on a farm by chance?
Nikki - yes, the family was a farming - focused family; Floyd County Iowa - and Charles City to be specific. Hadn't thought about the feed sacks but that and seed bags could certainly have been used. Neat stuff!

Again, once I locate other pics I will be asking pretty much the same questions! My goal right now is to photo-document those quilts still in and amongst the family, then I'd like to sew a few similar in pattern/style. My sisters-in-law have been loading me up with excess fabric for a start!

Adam
Old 07-31-2014, 11:12 AM

I wonder about the pink and gold floral. It doesn't look from the same era. It is possible the quilt was started and work was added as time allowed. GFG was frequently a pick up project for winter nights and took a long time to complete. The fabrics may have come from different decades.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by tesspug View Post
I wonder about the pink and gold floral. It doesn't look from the same era. It is possible the quilt was started and work was added as time allowed. GFG was frequently a pick up project for winter nights and took a long time to complete. The fabrics may have come from different decades.
I agree - that gold flower and pink pattern sure looks different.
Who knows? Once I get some time talking with mom, I should know a lot more.

Adam
Old 07-31-2014, 12:51 PM

I would love to see the quilt opened up, such as on a bed. Seeing that some of the "garden path" appears to be hexagons and some are diamond, I would like to see the whole pattern. Also, what do all of the edges look like? Are they all green hexagons?

What a great quilt!
Old 08-01-2014, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by Daylesewblessed View Post
I would love to see the quilt opened up, such as on a bed. Seeing that some of the "garden path" appears to be hexagons and some are diamond, I would like to see the whole pattern. Also, what do all of the edges look like? Are they all green hexagons?

What a great quilt!
Thanks for the kind words! Yes, to answer your question, the quilt is finished with hexagons for the edge. Since I am not at home to open the quilt up completely, I can't tell for sure but I believe the diamonds are borders between the inner blocks - if that's the "lingo" to use. I will certainly follow up with more detailed pictures once I return home.

Adam