Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help with an old quilt - ID the design/era? >

Help with an old quilt - ID the design/era?

Help with an old quilt - ID the design/era?

Old 08-02-2014, 09:29 PM

Newbie here too but loved your quilts, made me think to get in contact with my Aunts & Uncles to see if anyone has some quilts from my great grandmothers, I have family history on both sides including pictures ect and a picture from when my Maternal Great great grandparents came to Iowa before it was officially a state. Thanks for the idea to ask around and welcome to the Board, these ladies & gentlemen have taught me so much just by reading the Board everyday. I am looking forward to more pictures of your quilts when you get home and find the time.
Jeri former Iowan, now Texans all the way
Old 08-03-2014, 02:49 AM

Thumbs up I appreciate all the feedback, folks!

You all (or, as we say in Virginia, y'all) have been so helpful and insightful in your feedback that my "quilt history/mystery" questions has generated. That's exactly what I had hoped for! Some of your comments also mirror my own thoughts about why it's a good idea to have the foresight to include some sort of "made by" label or script on a quilt, for future generations to really "place" a quilt in time and context.

Most of all, this process of identification has really kick-started my creative energies towards designing and planning for my first quilt - thanks a million for that! I don't have any trepidation about getting started - if anything, my challenge is to get my sewing station (so to speak) organized and ready. I think it's going to also provide me with another great way to "regroup, refocus, reboot" myself on a regular basis once my "day job" comes back to hit me in the face next month. I teach general education students in grades pre-k through 8, most recently having done a few years in 6th but moving down a notch to 5th this year to "balance" the student demographic changes. I even incorporated my "birthday Bernina" in my instruction this June, just before summer break, and made each student a unique fabric "name patch" on their choice of fabric.

Boys seemed to like theirs done on scraps of military MARPAT camouflage that I had left over from some pants/shorts projects!

OK - that's enough to write for now! Have a great Sunday, y'all!
Adam