Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help Please from the Land Downunder >

Help Please from the Land Downunder

Help Please from the Land Downunder

Old 10-07-2011, 04:29 AM

I'd definitely make it Aussie. That would give her a bond with you that nothing else could, especially if you don't get to visit often. Just my thoughts...
Old 10-07-2011, 05:12 AM

Go for reversible and do girly-Aussie on one side and girly-Alaska on the other? That's a big order tho, isn't it? Hugs and smiles and good luck with whatever you decide, I'm sure she will love it.
Ohhhh, how about an I Spy girly quilt with all things Alaskan and Aussie in it? You could add solid color strips for learning her colors between some of the squares and include some game blocks for when she is older. LOL Now I'm all excited about this idea!!!
Old 10-07-2011, 05:23 AM

There is a lovely antique quilt at collectionsaustralia.net

Its called the Tasmanian Crib Quilt. It was originally in purples but has faded to brown. Its on my list of ten Wannados. My friend online sent me the picture. I'm trying to find fabric to make a replica reasonably simliar to the original.

OR Aboriginal fabrics on the front, native Alaskan on the back. Would love to see what you come up with.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:43 AM

She is only three, why not make one of each for next several years.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:49 AM

Just do not agree with the "girly" theme, there are so many great patterns available. She probably has a favorite color. The options are endless. Whatever you choose, she will probably still love it.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:54 AM

Could you make her something with a koala on it. My dad brought me a stuffed koala back from Australia when I was 5 I loved Koalie to death and have/had a collection of koalas all my life I am now 54 and down to a mama and baby on her back and two lovely figurines of koalas. You could be starting a life long love of the animal. Now I know they are not cuddly in real life but it could be a connection to her family down under - send a stuff too.
From a Nanny to a Grandmother *All the Grammas were already on the picture when I got married to my DH - so I picked Nanny - yes Nana was gone too :)
Old 10-07-2011, 06:02 AM

How about an I Spy incorporating animal fabrics from both countries? I can send you some 6 1/2" squares North American critters, flowers, and girlie stuff. I'm sure a request on the board will produce whatever you need. You can add goodies from your corner of the world. Border or back it with your fabrics so she learns about her heritage. There are great free patterns on Maryquilts.com. Let us know what you decide. Have Fun!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:26 AM

Try to combine all three. She'll have pleasant memories when she grows up of when she was a three year old.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:27 AM

Try to combine all three. She'll have pleasant memories when she grows up of when she was a three year old.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:27 AM

I'm definitely feeling an Aussie animals quilt with some pastel colors to make it girly....she will love your animals that she doesn't have in Alaska and it will be something to show off to her friends and classes later as she studies Australia. (In Georgia, we do that in 6th grade)